DWTS season 22

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I went to pick up my new passport at the post office, and the woman in front of me had just come back from Graceland.
    It must be a sign.
    So, I have to ask...
    Who is Elvis?
    King of what?

IndyLady likes this.
  2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

that was mindblowing

IndyLady likes this.
  3. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Whew, been away for a while, but here are my impressions:

Antonio and Sharna: I mean, who REALLY knows what goes on behind closed doors, but I think Antonio has learned from the embarrassment of being called out on his work ethic and and has turned himself around. I didn't love the vwaltz choreography but I could tell he had taken the time to learn and apply the technique. I though it was a big improvement for him.

Jodie and Keo: to me, that was her best dance! I wish she would relax her face a little more because sometimes she gets a little "expression stuck", but we all know how your face is the last thing you're thinking about when you are trying to make your body do 100000 other things. I thought the choreography was cute and interesting. Her kicks and flicks were sharp and clean and I thought she really shined in that performance. I'm sad to see her go because I thought she had a pretty good, natural dance foundation but this is a fairly competitive season. The overall quality of dancing isn't stellar, but between the leaders on the show I think it's kinda anyone's game to win.

Nyle and Peta: I will always give him credit for dancing as well as he does in spite of his unique challenges. However, I haven't ever been super impressed with him and Peta. This week was no exception. To me, it doesn't look like a lot of technique principles have been applied to his dancing, and it shows in the way his shoulders creep up, his butt pokes out, and he looks a little unfocused on turns. These things are tough to master for ANYONE who has months or even years to train, but they do detract from the overall quality of the dancing and are some of the first things to draw the eye. My dance coach often says that the little fundamental things that you do incorrectly will leave a bigger impression on your dancing that the things you do really, really well.

Paige and Mark: meh, I wasn't really feeling this Game of Thrones, Elsa/Jack frost concept. In an effort to play to the music and the theme, the whole vwaltz just seemed choppy. Paige has some of the same "technique blindness" that Nyle has. I think Paige is a fairly talented dancer and she's done really well in a few of her past dances, but this wasn't a favorite of mine.

Wanya and Lindsey: In my opinion, Wanya is easily the most natural of all of the dancers, and I think the quality/ difficulty of all of his routines (including this one), consistently outshine the others. I always end up smiling during and after his performances. I felt SO badly about the bandana slip because that routine was going really well up until that point. Carrie Ann was WAY too hard on him. I hope the low scores don't keep him out of the finals because honestly I think he deserves to win.

Ginger and Val: I seem to be in the minority but I find Ginger charming. I think she and Val have a sweet relationship and I think she is consistently solid. Her argentine tango last nice looked really clean (even if her facial expressions were a little challenged lol). I like her and I hope she makes the finals, too.l

4. davedove

davedove Active Member

I'm sad to see Jodie go, but it's that time in the competition where you hate to see anyone go.

I think Ginger is doing a fine job and I like her as a contestant, but it seems like she's the one that's being "pushed" this season. It really felt that way after last week when she got the first perfect score. That's all you heard about, even though Paige also got a perfect score only minutes later. I don't know how they decide the order of performances, but if Paige had gone first, she would have had the first perfect - pure luck of the draw.

Yeah, I'm kind of liking Paige at this point.;) I do have to say that the Viennese waltz was just a little too jerky for my taste, but that's Mark's fault, not hers.

I really like Wanya, but it seems to me like he might have peaked too early. His last few performances haven't been as clean. His samba with Val did look pretty good though. I really have been liking Lindsay though. She's had good partners the last two seasons.

As much as I like Sharna :inlove:, I expected Antonio do go this week, but I will say that his performances have improved since his "wake-up call".

As far as Nyle, I do give him so much admiration for what he's doing. However, his shortcomings don't really have anything to do with his deafness and he needs to work on that technique. I give him a pass if he gets off time with the music, because he can't hear it, but shoulders and butt he can do something about.

theAnnelis likes this.
  5. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I think Ginger and Antonio should have been gone by now, but I'm hoping the two of them go next week. Ginger doesn't really do anything wrong when she dances, but she doesn't grab or excite me at all. I still don't understand why her VWaltz got a perfect score - it was a lovely dance, but so was Kim's with Keo. So if Ginger's VWaltz was a 30, Paige's jive should have gotten a 50. Also, Ginger looks like The Nanny when she dances. Remember how The Nanny had those facial expressions? ...Ginger uses the same ones. It's kinda funny. I love Fran Drescher.

Antonio committing NOW is too little, too late for me. I hated how THAT package threw Sharna under the bus for saying what she said and I hated that she didn't tell Antonio (or they didn't show her telling him) "You're being even less of a team player when you're an hour late every day." If I were Sharna, I wouldn't have apologized at all. If he'd cared this much at the beginning of the season, we could very well be looking at the winner, but he didn't give a rat's f**k until he saw his partner checked out on him and the way he's acting right now is very contrived to me. "My partner doesn't think I can win and I'm early to rehearsals - look, look, poor me, I'm sad!" is how it reads. But that's just me.

In my opinion, the finale DEFINITELY should be Paige/Wanya/Nyle. Anything other than that will, I believe (I HOPE), make the show lose credibility. I adore Paige - I think she's strong, beautiful, incredibly versatile, very sweet, and could win the whole thing. Same with Wanya - he doesn't waste a single beat of the music, and has a lot of finesse in his movements, which was surprising given his size. Actually...maybe that's why it looks like he peaked early. I'm gonna liken it to the Yankees' CC Sabathia hitting one hell of a rough patch when he lost all that weight - maybe he's just not used to his new body and hasn't quite figured out how to move it yet. Then again, it probably isn't a factor when you're not trying to throw a baseball 100mph :joyful:

EXACTLY. I love Nyle and he seems to me to be the sweetest guy ever, a beautiful man, and a good dancer, but things like this, I don't like. He gets praised for what he's doing but doesn't get called out for his posture or the topline constantly coming up or the fact that he's super heavy on his feet in all the wrong ways or the fact that not one of those things has improved since week one. That rubs me the wrong way and that's really the one reason I don't think he should win.

Ugh, given all the machinations and that it's not really "real"...I really hate that this show gets me so fiery :eggface::eggface::eggface:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  6. Sam Hullihen

Sam Hullihen New Member

See, I actually disagree about Paige's jive. I thought all of the "filler" was good, and she was on time and sharp, but my eye kept being drawn to her knees, and how bow-legged she was stepping. I also thought she looked like she was shuffling on her basic steps a bit, which is probably why Mark would only choreograph half a step before stopping to do something flashy. It wasn't to my taste...I preferred Jodie's jive.

7. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I guess now is as good a time as any to lament the general decline of quality across ALL dances on DWTS. I stumbled on this fan-made ranking of the best jives ever on DWTS (which is totally subjective and I don't quite agree with the rankings), and it was SO obvious how many of the dances (even from this small pooling) from older seasons were PACKED with content and quality of movement. Sigh.

theAnnelis and MaggieMoves like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Ginger is better than wanya at this point. His smooth is very weak

9. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Yuck! I'm so pissed! Wanya is gone! Aargh!!!!!

And may I say- WTF show.... You can't give the booted couples 1 minute to say goodbye??? Just rush them off the stage....

IndyLady likes this.
  10. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

They wasted too much time on stupid banter during the show instead of making sure there was enough time at the end for the eliminated couples.

Phil Owl likes this.
  11. davedove

davedove Active Member

I would have liked Wanya instead of Ginger in the finale, but it is what it is.

At least we'll get to see a little more of him next week.

12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Shame about Wanye, he was definitely one of the best two on the show. As much as it's a competition, it's a popularity contest as well.

I think Nyle's scores were a bit inflated the last few weeks. He needs to focus on his posture a bit more.

If it were outright skill, Paige should win... but I think Nyle will.

IndyLady and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. davedove

davedove Active Member

His posture just seemed really bad to me for his second dance this week. His behind stuck out and he just looked hunched over during a lot of it.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

I think Paige should win. Wanya smooth was soooooooo bad that's what cost him. Props to Lindsay tho she was strong this season Ginger had been way more consistent and balanced. I agree with the final three nyle could win but that would be a sympathy vote. His posture had not improved so I can't give it to him .

15. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I'm completely here for Paige winning. She is absolutely the most versatile and technically sound, I think. I don't think Wanya's smooth was what cost him, but I feel like he got really swept off to the side all season. The fact that he got so brutally underscored for that slip in his jive and Ginger got perfect scores for good, but not great, dances probably helped. I still can't believe Ginger is in the final. She doesn't do anything wrong to me, but has never excited or totally impressed me either. Glad Antonio is gone. But I'm with you on Nyle. 10 weeks later, his posture and carriage is exactly the same and the fact that he's deaf is getting rammed down our throats. Kind of - exactly like - "Tony's never won" in season 15. Not digging it.

IndyLady, danceronice and Mr 4 styles like this.
  16. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Meh.

Out of the night, I really enjoyed Ginger's freestyle, and the choreography for Nyle's freestyle was cool. Paige's salsa was more interesting to me than her freestyle. I think all in all, each person had one good dance and one meh dance.

No one has really grabbed me this season. I liked Wanya a lot but there's nothing to be done about it now.

IndyLady likes this.
  17. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I've actually not minded much of this season, though I chose not to get too emotionally invested. Having said that, here comes he parade rain...

1. Dear Mark and Val: please lose the man buns, stat.

2. I was "meh" on all of the freestyles. They all felt like just normal weekly routines, nothing wowed me.

Rooting for Paige to win.

18. Mr 4 styles

Best final 5 ever. That being said I enjoyed the freestyles but wasn't going crazy over them like I did with peta and Donald drivers chicken with a train freestyle

theAnnelis, sbrnsmith and 3wishes like this.
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I LOVE Donald and Peta's freestyle- my favorite dance!

theAnnelis and Mr 4 styles like this.
  20. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I liked Paige's freestyle. She should have won.

theAnnelis and Mr 4 styles like this.