Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 23

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 23, 2016.

1. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Member

Be interesting to see how a photographic memory translates to picking up choreography in a short order.

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Who has photographic memory?

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

No one. Marilu has a very superior autobiographical memory. There is a difference between that and an eidetic memory

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The Mayor of Hinchtown! That should be fun. I wonder if his leg is totally healed from the crash he had at Indy last year.

5. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Member

Marilu Henner has very special memory abilities. As someone already pointed out "photographic" might not be the best descriptor. She consults for TV shows that use memory skill as a plot device.

I am very intrigued to see if we can watch this reality show and see her memory ability making a difference. I certainly had to hear and feel, Heel, Toe, Toe Heel, Heel Toe, Toe, Toe Heel a few times for it to sink into memory. I want to see if it's more of a once and done sort of experience for someone with extraordinary memory abilities.

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

More importantly her mother was president of the National Academy of dance arts and owned a dance studio . Marilu started at two and taught even until the acting started

Purr likes this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I might actually have to watch this season. I want to see how Marilu and Laurie do. And I'm interested in seeing Amber Rose.

I'm tired of hearing about Ryan Lochte. I'm sure he's on the show in an attempt to rehab his public image. Just don't vote for him, and he'll be gone quick enough.

theAnnelis and Mr 4 styles like this.
  8. MaggieMoves

Ryan Lochte definitely looked uncomfortable on GMA. It's like they told him to stand there and not speak unless spoken to.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm sure he has a PR team helping him plan his every move. I get that he got drunk and did a stupid thing, and then lied about it, and then left his friends out to dry. He just picked a very poor time to do it. The Olympics - representing your country - and which are held in a foreign country - really??!! It might have been better to do it on his own time.

blackswan and stash like this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sounds like Marilu and Laurie will be top two...based on their dance background and pro partners.

I'm going to try to watch the entire season this time....somewhere along the line I get irritated at the liberties that are taken with the dances and I stop watching.

11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Cheryl was on Extra yesterday being interviewed by Mario Lopez. He asked her how Lochte was and she said something to the effect of he's amazing, but he has a lot of work to do. Lol. It does not sound like he's a good dancer. She also said people need to move on and that DWTS is a chance at redemption

12. MaggieMoves

Well that was a sh!t show.

Winner winner chicken dinner to Val and Laurie. It wasn't even close. Maybe James & Sharna will be a distant second.

13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yep... Saw that coming before I even saw the show. Laurie has amazing strength, speed, balance, posture, poise, flexibility, performance and discipline... and a lot of natural rhythm. I've always felt the ice skaters and gymnasts have a huge advantage on this show though they claim otherwise. I enjoyed watching her but I wish there wasn't such a clear ringer from day one.

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe Ice T's routine was presented as a cha-cha! It was basically his hip hop routine from his concert performances. Very entertaining.... Not a chacha! The other contestants seemed to try to keep more actual dance content in their dances.

15. MaggieMoves

Vanilla Ice's routine was far from any cha cha I've ever seen. He did dance his own moves very well though.

I managed to find the video of the people who interrupted Ryan Lochte's session though. Kind of sad they would resort to that. Two men stormed the floor and there were 3 or 4 women wearing similar shirts that were all kicked out. Sure the guy is a doof, but I don't think their action was warranted.

To be honest I'm happy there is a ringer as I really enjoyed Laurie's performance. There's a lot of natural talent there.

The racecar driver is a nice surprise, although he did look a bit stiff. Only week one though.

Jake T. Austin's sappiness with Jenna Johnson was absolutely cringeworthy. I feel bad for her.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I don't mind ringers nearly as much if [1] they are genuinely likeable (and she sure seems to be), and [2] they don't always go to the same Pro *cough*Derek*cough*

The best dancer doesn't always win, as we have seen.

Definitely some unexpected surprises last night in terms of ability and performance, as well as the typical "oh dear..." moments, and Over/Under-scoring.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  17. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

18. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Laurie was great! I wonder if she will do as well with Latin?

While there wasn't much Cha Cha in Vanilla Ice's routine, I still really enjoyed it!

I'm curious to see how Jana Kramer progresses.

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Opps. Laurie did Latin. I think I was mixing up Laurie and Jana.

20. MaggieMoves

You just liked her outfit and facial expressions. :p

Oddly enough, I liked it a lot too. If Standard & Smooth were more like that, I might be more inclined to do them. :rofl:

GJB and Mr 4 styles like this.