DWTS Season 23

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

This season starts out with a good field of Stars. The competition (albeit tabloid scoring) should be quite tough.

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Whoever is dressing Ryan Lochte is failing- sparkly ill fitting green tuxedo- NOT- he has a killer bod and we want to see it gosh darnit!!

He's probably gone tomorrow anyway, because he's too polarizing, not because he's the worst dancer, IMO. His pre dance package made me feel sorry for him

Sasha is such a sweetie. And Artem- I would dance with him any day. Didn't he date Carrie Ann for a while?

MaggieMoves likes this.
  3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points @sbrnsmith . Sasha is really likeable on all fronts, and I really liked the set and costumes from his piece last night. Nice to see some of the newer pros getting love that previously only a select few saw.

sbrnsmith likes this.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

<Chandler Bing voice> Could there BE any more filler in tonight's elimination show? :rolleyes:

SDsalsaguy and islandia55 like this.
  5. sbrnsmith

I am shallow but loved seeing Lochte in that outfit. He may be gone tomorrow... Sigh.
    I tuned in late and missed Rick perry, Jana and gleb as well as baby face.
    Still love Artem and Sasha. Such sweet guys

6. kckc

kckc Active Member

Could the music get any worse on this show? Wait, never mind, don't answer that.....

Phil Owl and islandia55 like this.
  7. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Whoa...did she and Neil retire???? Or are there some active competitors in the Strictly cast?

8. MaggieMoves

Nope, but she had it up all over her Instagram a few months ago. I think she said it preemptively.

They are definitely not retired. I actually think the two of them would be perfect for the show. I love nearly all of their show dances.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  9. sbrnsmith

Yeah! I'm happy with the remaining stars!!!

10. Dancing Irishman

Ah gotcha. Looks like they're both involved - he's a professional dancer in their company while she's partnered with a celeb. His personality would be perfect on the show though - comes off as a likable goofy guy on social media.

Now is where I whine about how Strictly adds world professional finalists to their cast while DWTS has mostly added SYTYCD alums with sparse qualifications in ballroom.

theAnnelis and MaggieMoves like this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

It does seem though that this year the judges are more strict about wanting to see actual ballroom content. Makes and Amber's salsa was silly...not a salsa at all..in fact I missed the promo and had no idea what dance they were supposed to be doing from watching it!

Phil Owl likes this.
  12. MaggieMoves

Let's be honest, the look sells more than their qualifications... especially on American TV to the average viewer. Long term ratings may suffer though if they keep that up.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  13. MaggieMoves

I think there were 4 or 8 counts of actual salsa content...

14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

heavens, another overly-bloated results show :eek:
    Hope this isn't a weekly occurrence. Then again, that would let me skip the Monday show if they're just gonna show it all over again on Tuesday.

15. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

This. I still find Allison painful to watch - that jive, omg. Too much energy, not enough finesse - it's like she's trying to kill it every step (in general, not just that dance). There's just something to be said for years in the ballroom trenches, you can't fake that.

Other random musings:

Terra and Calvin both have non-optimal bodies for V. Waltz, but I thought Terra's was much better. I'm not a fan of the whipping around-type V. Waltz that Linsday choreographed. It's like she borrowed Allison's choreo or something.

While I agree with the obvious assessment that Maureen's salsa was much more proper and traditional than Amber's, it was also a function of the music. I don't know how much "proper salsa" you could really do to the J-Lo booty song without there being a disconnect between the song and the dance. Whereas her opponent had a traditional salsa song that was basically a softball. That being said, I didn't think Amber went for it as much as the judges said she did - I thought she was tentative.

I was glad to hear that the judges concurred with what I had said on the first airing of Ryan's cha cha, that he wasn't doing anything and Cheryl was basically dancing furiously around him.

And I totally cracked up when Val said "It takes two..." and Laurie's response was "to make a thing go right".

MaggieMoves likes this.
  16. kckc

kckc Active Member

Thumbs up to everything IndyLady said! Especially about the V. Waltz. I really thought they would go crazy for Terra and Sasha as it was much more traditional, in addition to being well-executed.

I found myself nodding with Julianne when she said Max/Amber were just uncomfortable to watch. However, the music this week even more horrific than usual, which I would have thought would be hard to do.

Laurie is just adorable. I knew nothing about her since I didn't watch the Olympics but she is a hoot.

IndyLady likes this.
  17. MaggieMoves

I think Terra and Sasha have been a nice surprise for the standard dances. She's working hard and you can see it paying off.

I'm surprised and vanilla ice isn't as good. He has a lot of hip hop background. He probably needs a lot more foundation work, but there is potential there.

18. Dancing Irishman

*Never* underestimate how bad the music can get for DWTS. I'm truly unsure if there's a floor to it.

Loki, theAnnelis, kckc and 1 other person like this.
  19. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'm currently working with a hip hop teacher (he made it to round 2 of SYTYCD, so he's no slouch) that attempted to become a ballroom teacher and has thought the better of it. I see some of the same things in Vanilla Ice's movements as in my hip hop teacher when I watched him at one of the studio events... very loose seemingly non-precise movements, subpar posture (I hear "lose the damn posture" a lot during our lessons), pigeon toed stance. Even though it's all dance, the techniques are different enough between the two genres that some things don't translate, i.e. you have to unlearn some habits going back and forth, and other things that seem like they should translate, just don't.

20. MaggieMoves

Ermahgerd. Can we keep her?!

I love her with Neil more obviously, but she's done an amazing job with him.

GJB likes this.