Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 24

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by davedove, Mar 1, 2017.

1. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I hope Simone wins. Sasha is, I think, very underrated as a pro.

Purr and IndyLady like this.
  2. davedove

davedove Active Member

Did you all notice the memorial star on the dance floor for Florence Henderson? They panned over it quickly at the end of the broadcast.

I'm glad I got to meet her when I did. She was a wonderful lady.

I'm trying to remember - have they lost anyone else from the DWTS family?

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Heather Morris. Simone biles rashad Jennings and the girl from fifth harmony looked very good. Nancy Kerrigan was good too. Gonna be a competitive season

GJB likes this.
  4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Tom Bergeron posted a full picture of this on his Instagram.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Is it really fair to have Heather Morris on there? Beautiful dancing...of course....from a dancer! She has a huge advantage.

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

No kidding. People are saying she has "no training in ballroom."

Video says otherwise:

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Simone Nancy and fifth harmony girl all have some dance.

8. davedove

davedove Active Member

I absolutely loved Rashad and Emma's performance. Sure, he can use some work on technique, but that dance was just so smooth and fun. It's great that Emma has got a good partner and I'm hoping she goes all the way to the finals with him.

I also really like that song and I'm going to see if I can't work up some choreography to it.:dancingbanana:

9. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Love Rashad.
    WTF to the cowboy. I'm not getting the hotness factor at all...and he can't dance on top of that...

10. dncergrl2

dncergrl2 Member

I really feel for Heather Morris. Yes, she was a jazz/hip hop dancer, but everybody expects perfection and she has high expectations of herself. But first she is going to have to change long held habits and learn to dance with her legs closer together, with more emphasis on weight shifting and most difficult of all: connection with a partner. It's not going to be as easy for her to make the switch as people think. Maybe she will come into her own with some snappy choreography.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Sure, she may have to make some adjustments but other contestants are coming in with no experience at all. They also have to learn the above things you mentioned plus movement, dance, balance, posture, turns, lines, chores, performance, styling, grace....etc, etc. I think she has a huge advantage. Even in the Proam world the students with prior dance careers progress much faster often debuting in open gold due to their experience. Virtually every pro ballroom dancer started out with a strong foundation in dance prior to ballroom training. That being said...yes she will feel more pressure as expectations are higher.

ajiboyet and danceronice like this.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm dividing the celebs into two groups....those that have dance/performing experience and those that don't. I think Rashad is the best of the group with no performance experience.

I continue to long for more authentic ballroom choreography across all the dances though.

ajiboyet, IndyLady and LateToTheDance like this.
  13. davedove

davedove Active Member

I'm rooting for Rashad and Emma this season.:dancingbanana:

Although, I'm really enjoying David and Lindsay. It's not that his dancing is great (which it obviously isn't), but he just seems to be having so much fun with the whole experience.

raindance likes this.
  14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I. Cannot. Stand. Charo.

ETA: The music on this season though...
    Speaking of Charo, I had read that she's a Spanish lady and a flamenco guitarist, and hoped she would get something a bit authentic-sounding. How disappointed I was...

IndyLady likes this.
  15. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Agree. I don't follow baseball so I'd never heard of him before this, but I've really enjoyed both his routines. Especially "Bust a Move", that was awesome. I was surprised the judges were so harsh on it (not that the technique was great, but the performance & choreo definitely made up for a lot of that).

raindance likes this.
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Im team Rashad. Enjoy his performances so far.

Bye Keo and Charo. He may be a totally nice guy, but I just can't get behind him- I see average choreography and zero connection with any of his celeb partners, and mostly, just can't get a sense of his personality...I'm baffled why they keep bringing him back. This is his sixth season maybe,and he's always eliminated by round two?

17. davedove

davedove Active Member

He did OK with Jodie Sweetin, but I do agree with your point.

18. davedove

davedove Active Member

I am glad to see that Nancy did such a good job on her samba. She really seemed a whole lot more confident.

Mr 4 styles and IndyLady like this.
  19. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Agreed, I really enjoyed that samba. She exceeded my expectations on that one.

I also enjoyed Mr. T's foxtrot, probably more for sentimental reasons than anything but it was very endearing.

OTOH, contrary to the judges/audience, I was not enthused by either Heather's tango or Normani's foxtrot. I liked the choreo for the tango, but her feet weren't as clean/precise/confident as I would have expected, and she didn't seem to be stretching enough or in the right direction. She danced it more like a jazz routine. The A-line (or whatever you call it, around 0:38) was downright ugly. The foxtrot choreo was way too frantic and staccato, it felt more like a tango or quickstep. They had a few good opportunities in that song to execute the long, gliding moves that you would expect from foxtrot but never did, and I agree with Len's critique about not enough time in hold. I'm not a purist by any means, but I'm really not a fan of that squishy hug thing in dances like foxtrot, VW, tango, quickstep, etc.

MaggieMoves and raindance like this.
  20. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Val & Normani's routine was definitely a Jazz Tango if anything. Around 0:38, I know what you mean. I think it stems from a lack of connection during the dance. They were rushing from hit to hit with little actual Foxtrot technique. It was great to watch - but the ballroom content wasn't that great.

Rashad looked flat footed this week, but it feels like he was almost there. Better footwork would have given him much better scores.

Nancy was a nice surprise. She looked really flat the first two weeks. I'm really glad to see her do well because she's just so animated. Hopefully this will get her jump started.

I hope David Ross doesn't get kicked off too soon - he's making the show for me right now.

IndyLady and Mr 4 styles like this.