Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 24

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by davedove, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Quite honestly, I'm glad Charo got voted off (she was far more obnoxious than Michael Bolton). What kind of drugs is she on?

MaggieMoves likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

The drug of la Vida loca

Phil Owl likes this.
  3. davedove

davedove Active Member

Her main problem is that her routine hasn't changed since the 70's. What was fun and entertaining when she was in her 20's then just doesn't work when she's in her 60's now. Times have changed, but she hasn't.

Although, I will have to say, she was much more subdued this week. I suspect she had seen what people were writing about her. But, it was too little, too late for tlhis competition.

IndyLady likes this.
  4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'm sorry my post wasn't clear - the 0:38 (and the feet/stretch/jazz comments) was referring to Heather's tango. And I definitely agree with your comments about the foxtrot.

Yup, all of this.

5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

What the heck is Nick Carter doing there as a judge??

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

The same reason people suddenly go from 6&7's to 8&9's with no noticeable improvement in technique.

I'm actually kind of sick of the theme nights... they try too hard to force a dance into a song instead of the other way around.

Phil Owl and salsera_alemana like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I'm really glad Heather is gone. She is a trained dancer that should never have been on the show. I enjoyed watching someone like Rashad or David more. There was no joy in her dancing. For a moment there, I was worried it would be Nancy and Artem going home

8. MaggieMoves

I can't say I agree... but I'll admit I really liked that rumba. Everything else felt grossly over-scored by comparison.

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

And speaking of being kind of sick of something...

Now I get it. On this show "True" Argentine Tango can have lifts! I had given up on hearing ANY of the judges knock someone for not including enough Argentine Tango content like they sometimes do for the dances that they actually know something about. Now they throw in the word "true"....

Well, there are still some amusing moments on the show and there are lots of nights when there is nothing on that I want to watch, so I guess I'll keep watching.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  10. MaggieMoves

Honestly I'd get a kick out of Master P being back on the show. :rofl:

11. IndyLady

Totally get you on the "lifts" there.

Having said that, I am confused about that number (yes I realize this was two weeks ago)... that looked like a normal ballroom tango to me (for the most part), not Argentine. Am I missing something? (serious question)

12. Mr 4 styles

No it had way more standard in it. None ofthe pros on dwts really know AT. Cheryl Burke went to BsAs and studied for three weeks at one point to get a better flavor. Good for her

13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Derek has done a pretty good job of it at times. And I actually saw a gancho that worked like it is supposed to (using interrupted momentum to propel the leg bending backwards between the partner's leg.) But that was in rehearsal, and I didn't see it in the actual routine.
    Maybe they are trying to avoid ballroom purist complaints by labeling this stuff a dance they most people know very little about.
    See, it's ArgentIne Tango, and that has an abundance of lifts, and tricks and Carrie Ann can't call them on it!

MaggieMoves and Mr 4 styles like this.
  14. IndyLady

Things that make you go hmmm....

A lot of the FB commenters (yes, I know, consider the source) are upset at how critical the judges have supposedly been in recent weeks, particularly wrt Bonner and Simone. tbh, that has always been one of my pet peeves, is the raving reviews of performances that were mediocre or average at best. If only these people could hear how criticism is sometimes delivered during training in the serious ballroom world, behind that glamorous front, lol...

blackswan and MaggieMoves like this.
  15. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

It doesn't even look like good "show" AT for the past two seasons.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  16. MaggieMoves

Rumors are going around that this will be the last time DWTS will be on twice a year. Supposedly it may be going to a once a year format.

17. kckc

kckc Active Member

While I think she should have been in the finals, I can't say I'm surprised about Simone, nor was I about Heather. They were just kind of...there...and nothing else. Personally, I think Normani blows them both away. It was certainly be interesting to see how it all plays out.

IndyLady likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Normal may deserve to win but simone should be in the finals. Peeps didn't want two gymnasts in a row to win I bet

raindance likes this.
  19. kckc

kckc Active Member

I agree, and I think David must have a huge fanbase.

IndyLady and raindance like this.
  20. davedove

davedove Active Member

I haven't seen anything on that, but I did just see that they're starting a Dancing with the Stars Junior, where they are featuring young celebrities and children of celebrities paired with junior champions.

MaggieMoves likes this.