Tango Argentino > encuentros

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by newbie, Feb 1, 2017.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Found on a tango encuentro website:

"Tango encuentros are attended by close embrace dancers and are based on strict tango codes. They tend to control registration and be role balanced."

Sounds more like a sect, you kiss their hand, you're in, skill doesn't matter really.

Wasn't even aware of the franchise. Anyone knows whether the organizers do that as a mere business?

2. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Doubt it, tango isn't a very lucrative business.

3. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Just search the forum for encuentro, it recurs.
    One rather bad tempered thread started as
    BsAs Syndrome and, since I was involved in that,
    I'm not going there again.

4. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

There are many, and not two of them are alike (much depends on the tastes of organisers, whether they want to see a lot of foreigners or also see some of the locals etc.)

The name has a certain cachet, so you'll have one "encuentro" (the name guarantees some appeal) that another "encuentro" organiser will deem to be completely heretical. Some churches are more narrow than others...

Registration procedures are usually opaque, with a lot of leeway left to the organisers to post-select from those who have registered. Sometimes only 'friends of friends' are invited, with no public registration (sometimes it's a mix, with 'friends of friends' allowed to register silently before others get a chance to register for the remaining slots).

As far as the tango codes are concerned, typically, seating (often strictly split, or with a male, female long side and short couples side) and cabeceo tend to be more strictly enforced than floorcraft (given that you still have a number egregious close embrace leaders determined to piss on the four corners of a 2x3m square because they think they're alpha males; others will doggedly determine that they alone have the right to set the pace of the ronda on their own because 'that's the pace in Buenos Aires milongas', or insist that even when others are dancing they can chat through the first minute of a tango because 'that's what they do in Buenos Aires'; of course that's usually what they do, not what they preach).

But no, I don't think organisers make a lot of money off them -- it's often a labour of love of organisers who don't enjoy festivals or the local milongas that much (and they often stick their financial necks out, which explains why they're determined to get everyone that registers to actually pay and attend). There are exceptions (especially for some all-in events that include lodging and food).

The name is often a misnomer -- especially if a certain group of people starts to attend the same encuentros they favour, since after some time they only meet the same small group of like-minded souls wherever the actual encuentro is, whether it's in Lithuania, France, Italy or the Adriatic coast in summer. There's no one to really "meet" outside of the bubble in such a setting after some time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    opendoor and itwillhappen like this.
  5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Thx Sixela.
    So it is what I feared it was.
    My partner in her desperate seek of the elusive wonderful tanda has attended one some months ago. Hopefully I can rehab her, hopefully she still has some free will.

6. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

They're not all bad, mind you. I even like and respect what some of the organisers are trying to achieve.

And I'm sure even the ones that I look at as alien life forms descending upon Earth ("fascinating", Spock would say) are often fun for the participants (even when the organisers and I really don't see eye to eye). As long as they don't completely drain some of the people into a Jet Set that never goes to local milongas anymore, who am I to object?

My regular practice partner is quite fond of Italian encuentros. She's at one of them as we speak (but then, it's my chance to be unfaithful and dance Biagi tandas with sundries).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  7. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The organizer is a decent aficionado, the canvasser not…

Six years ago it felt like a sect, but the times they are achanging….

Skill does matter. The Different Worlds crowd will meet there.

So, exactly what I predicted.

9. opendoor

The girls work hard to get on the invitation list. They are foregoing the local milongas simply to enjoy the plentitude at encuentros. But it usually takes a lot of agility and connection to get in.

10. pascal

pascal Active Member

Indeed you have to be desperate to attend an encuentro.

11. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Or curious.

12. c955

c955 New Member

Apologies if I've misinterpreted your message, but are you implying something about the attitude of the dancers who go to encuentros or something about their skill/experience? Please elaborate. I'm genuinely interested. What about the dancers who go to marathons and/or festivals, as well as events abroad?

13. opendoor

..but
    in a fair manner: only from our (gender) point of view :vulcan:

14. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Only one can of worms per day, please.

c955 likes this.
  15. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Haha, just saw that. You fought valiantly. The very posts of the guy himself confirmed all the bad opinion I had started to form about those events.

16. doornail

doornail New Member

I love encuentros and find they're always run with great love, generosity and commitment (as are most marathons, festivals, and local milongas, of course).

The defining features of an encuentro as opposed to a marathon are, I would say, that it typically consists of well-defined milongas (as opposed to a continuous period of dancing with a DJ relay). That works better for me, because I like to feel that everyone is 'focused' on the dancing at the same times. I understand the attraction of Marathons with their 'quiet, dream-like periods at 6am before breakfast' as well.

The other thing that feels encuentro-y is the idea that every tanda is typically danced with someone different. Everyone returns to their seats and starts from square one with the new tanda. That also aligns with how my local milongas tend to work nowadays. Marathons (in my limited experience) tend to encourage more dancing with the same partner over multiple consecutive tandas. Again, I can see that that appeals to some people, but not to me!

I can understand the fact that you might see encuentros as being 'rule-bound' and overly-stuffy and strict, but that's not really what they feel like to me. It's all in service of trying to help people really dance with each other, and to share the experience with everyone dancing in the ronda together rather than just 'for themselves'.

itwillhappen likes this.
  17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

What you said.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  18. doornail

doornail New Member

Well I don't have any particular reason to try to talk you into going to one. I just wanted to present a view from someone who is a frequent and enthusiastic encuentro-goer, for any readers who are interested (but who haven't been to one...)

raindance and opendoor like this.
  19. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I've never been to an encuentro, but they sound like a win-win to me.

Festival and marathon goers win because without the encuentro, codigo-focused dancers would be at said festivals/marathons but not be happy about it, bringing down the mood.

Encuentro-goers win because it gives them an atmosphere to dance in that they really enjoy.

20. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

You're making it sound as if encuentro-goers would not like marathons and vice-versa. Do we really want to advocate a Great Schism?

You know, there are those of us who do as the Romans when in Rome (at different local milongas, encuentros, festivals and marathons) and have a broad church (disclosure: I'll confess that I find some crowded festival floors really unenjoyable, _especially_ the first nights when the dancers are still not familiar with how the others dance and everyone is a bit too enthusiastic, but I'm never going to whinge about it; nobody's forcing me to go there, and especially not on the first night).

I'm not exactly looking forward to more pitched battles between different orthodoxies and "apartheid".

itwillhappen likes this.