Tango Argentino > encuentros

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by newbie, Feb 1, 2017.

1. doornail

doornail New Member

Not sure whether your comment was directed at me, but I agree with you. I think we should all at least go wandering out of our comfort zones (with an open mind) and see what happens, once in a while. We might not find a new paradise, but we might discover it's not exactly hell on the other side either ;)

At the very least, we're likely to encounter some fantastic dancers that we wouldn't otherwise come across...

I'm generally an encuentro-er, but I've enjoyed the odd marathon that I've been to...

2. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

Nowadays a lot of different events in europe are called "encuentro". Nevertheless dancing in intimate close embrace at a very high level might get one very sensitive - a bad tanda and the milonga is over.
    So there might be some checks neccessary, an extreme example :
    But I'm fine with that, may be a bit astonished by the high rate of couples. And for single followers it might be a bit difficult to get a ticket. Most will have to be happy with less.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Well, I think you do know, that there isnt any schism concerning this question among the ladies, but I fear there is one among the guys (Not because its more rule-bound. The rules protect the poor leaders, not the skilled ones.)

4. itwillhappen

A pretty image video of the Encuentro Porteno in Amsterdam:

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Is the above video representative of these events?

Newbie posted this defintion.

Tango encuentros are attended by close embrace dancers and are based on strict tango codes.

Am I missing a ronda somehow, which I have the impression is an essential part of the "codes?" Maybe if I watch long enough?

6. itwillhappen

I would assume that it's one of the highly acknowledged encuentros in Europe.
    Looking here Encuentros & Festivalitos Milongueros 2017 for Melina's definition I recognize a rather weak wording regarding what's important for you:

7. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

I assume this is just an illusion because it is easier to film a single couple in the foreground doing pretty stuff than the heartbeat of the whole dancefloor.

It is this sense of ronda, of being in a relationship with the other dancers that i am missing most from BA. - i wish i had any idea how to encourage my community to have more of that. It just seems to happen if there is enough musicality and respect(? sometimes it is also one upmanship and scorn?) for the other couples (this is btw why i am not a big fan of people who talk about being in their own world while dancing)

itwillhappen and c955 like this.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Absolutely
    You can see the ronda starting slowly in the fast motion section at 1:93

9. itwillhappen

The idea behind an encuentro is quite simple: you do not change people, you extract them.
    Only those that are supposed to deliver that behavior should get access to such an event.
    And as the needed interests and skills are quite rare, you'll have to create a compact weekend milonga series that justifies some travel effort.