Dancers Anonymous > Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've found that frozen cake (depending on the kind) can be very good, sometimes even better than room temperature cake!

2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

1.88 mile jog today. I'll be feeling it tomorrow. Pushed harder than I probably should have. Haven't jogged in 2 weeks or so.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

still teaching every morning except sunday and hiking the dunes at least once a week

4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Jog on Tuesday really killed. I woke up later that night with my upper back spasming. Took a long time to get back to sleep. Should have done some yoga this week but have been really tired lately. Did another jog today. Definitely will be doing a restorative practice later today. Currently sitting on my heat pad.

5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Been making a conscious effort to address my poor sleep habits and it's seeming to help on the diet and exercise front! Certainly noticing I have more energy during weekend practices with my partner, which is very welcome (especially on jive days).

Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Weighed in at an even 140.0 this morning! I've lost 12 pounds now! I'm back to where I was a year out of college before dental school and drinking led me to gain. I'm never going to make it back to the 130 I was at the beginning of college, but I think I can make 135 where I was when I graduated college.

3wishes, Purr, cornutt and 2 others like this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Best exercise of the weekend: cleaning the sunroom windows and sliding door panels inside and outside. Next time I'm going to hose down the outside before cleaning, based on the amount of bug debris, webs, and mess. And apparently I had spiders living in the bookcase in the sunroom, based on the webs and droppings. Yucky!

stash likes this.
  8. fascination

hike 2 miles uphill, teach pump and core, 3 lessons

3wishes likes this.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That means you had insects living in the bookcase in the sunroom...

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Workout with my trainer last night ended with me at my chiropractor's office for a walk-in "I don't know what I did, but it hurts." :(

I knew I was a little tense, and that my L5 and right SI were a little out of place going in to the gym... but that's not abnormal for me, and I'm usually good to work through it - often feeling better once I do. Warm-up and overhead presses were fine... well, I hate them, but otherwise they were ok. Second of three warm-up sets of back squats, I go down, feel a flash of hot ouch in my lower back... and had to be rescued as I couldn't get back up with the weight on my shoulders. The pain dissipated within minutes, so we moved to other stuff that didn't bother my back to finish off... but by the time I waited for a (late) bus and got home, I was really uncomfortable and went straight to the chiro.

I was supposed to go straight to ballet, but am thinking the late bus was the universe's way of telling me that I was injured and needed a rest. Thankfully, after an adjustment and some ice, it's a little tender, but no pain - hooray!

11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

30minutes of yoga last night. Worked on really sinking in to the warrior posses. Legs were on fire, but felt great.

3wishes and KPomPom like this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Did the murph workout but without the vest. 63 minutes. Look it up and tell me I'm crazy. I dare ya :):confused::eek:o_O

13. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

OK, I need something like this. Last year I had some really big life changes (got married, moved, started a new career) and my dancing and my workouts just fell by the wayside. I've been so overwhelmed I haven't even been keeping up with household chores! I'm slowing layering things back into my life, and I don't see any reason to not use the great community here to help motivate me.

Me exercise struggle currently: to find enough time in the day and to not feel overwhelmed because of how much I've lost

I was in a dance company until two years ago, and my work outs were very intense and took hours out of my day. I need to find a good program that isn't too time intensive and work my way back up. I'd love some suggestions if you have any, especially anything that can work those dancing muscles as I had to take a break from lesson for a while.

RiseNFall likes this.
  14. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Look at the videos from Classical Stetch and Essentrics. They're available on DVD as well as online streaming. Miranda Esmonde White is a retired ballerina that started the program. Her daughter now has videos as well. Miranda's stuff is geared for all ages, including seniors. Her daughter's stuff has the same basis but is a bit more intense for the younger/healthier/more athletic crowd.

All of the exercises can be done at home with little to no equipment, and they'll work all your muscles in a safe way.

You can see some free videos here, to see if you'd be interested in buying full length ones or online access:
    http://www.essentrics.com/media.html

I've hunted for good exercise videos for a long time, and these are some of the best I've found for improving functional strength and flexibility.

3wishes likes this.
  15. fascination

mon..1 hour of cardio aerobics, 6 lessons
    tues, one hour of toning with body weight, weights and resistance

16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

A couple workouts ago, I squatted my bodyweight for the first time since college - it was only 5 sets of 5 reps, but it's been a mental block for a while since I injured myself squatting in college - probably with improper form, definitely more weight than I was ready for. Still haven't passed the weight I was lifting when that injury happened, but now I'm looking forward to it as a challenge to conquer instead of a risk I'm dreading undertaking.

cornutt and RiseNFall like this.
  17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

It's time to break out the fleece sweats for walking, sun is out, rain is gone but wow it is COLD all day.
    Having done NOTHING except one light workout during this 30 days of HE__ coughing, the left rib cage is not letting me be free and independent.
    So, today, starting with small maybe one mile walk this morning.
    I am beginning to dislike starting from scratch but I love being able to breath again.

fascination likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

:D:DOver 12000 calories burned last week. Body fat at 11.5. Weight stable. Muscle up three lbs. ready for Spartan races oh and a new Latin shirt:eek::eek::eek::D:D

cornutt likes this.
  19. fascination

hoping you feel 100% soon

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Yep, so neighbor comes over and says "let's walk", we get around the corner and I am already breathing hard, so she says "we are slowing down" well, she slows to a crawl, to which I laugh at her with "I am not dead yet!" And we pick up a normal faster than a stroll walk while talking and catching up.
    Wow, that was hard, but needed, at least it expanded my lungs and I got some sort of exercise. Today, walking again, well, when it's warmer. No Zumba, they would have to pick me up off the floor. As we say goodbyes neighbor states "oh, our daughter started that dry cough a couple of days ago YIKES" my brain screams "stay away, far far away good grief"