Dancers Anonymous > Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Sugar = tobacco AFAIC.

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

With KIND bars, check the label. Some KIND bars have around 5 grams of sugar, others have over 14 grams of sugar. The one I buy has less sugar.

I also saw a 2015 article online about FDA telling KIND it was mislabeling some of its bars as healthy.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Yep read the label closely. Always do

Purr likes this.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I have protein bars at the ready. No less than 15 grams of proteins and low on carbs. Works for me.

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

You have no idea how badly I'm jonesing for cheap birthday cake.

But that would require getting dressed and getting my lardy butt off the couch to go buy one, so I guess my willpower won't be tested too badly.

RiseNFall likes this.
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yoga class Monday evening felt fine, but Tuesday I could feel it in my abdominal muscles. It's a good feeling.

And still sticking with the high protein/low sugar/lots of fruits and vegetables menu. Although, I'm ready to go into food rebellion and order a half sandwich/half salad plate for Friday lunch. But Purr, you might say, that sounds reasonably healthy. Trust me, it isn't. Sandwich is full of mayo; salad is chock full of not great ingredients (bacon, among other things), and plate comes with breadsticks. I'm tired of packing my lunch and want something ready made that I don't have to fix.

7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

So, I've been doing the whole gym thing for about three and a half weeks now. Six days a week, Sundays are off since that's the day I have my lessons in Nashville. My run on Wednesday was just terrible. I took my first full day off - no gym or dancing - yesterday. It is amazing just how much better my run was today. Funny how that works.

RiseNFall, fascination and FancyFeet like this.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Not surprising. Your body needs time to rest and recover in between workouts.

9. Mr 4 styles

That's true but you can do active recovery. Stretch, yoga , massage, lite cardio like kickboxing or Active release therapy. Then you are ready to go. If you are sleeping enough you don't need inactivity to recover

10. JudeMorrigan

That's the rub though. I've been trying to get a reasonable amount of sleep in, but yesterday was pretty much work, eat, crash.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and I think it also does have a great deal to do with what type/ intensity/duration of those workouts happens to be

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some hot-shot sports med doc said on the radio that recovery is more important than exercising. Not that you shouldn't exercise, but definitely take time to recover afterwards.

He also said on days when your body is down, go easy; on days when you bounce out of bed, hit it a little harder. That will get better results long term than slamming it all the time. And no guilt.

YMMV.

raindance likes this.
  13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

My job and training schedule get in the way of my desired napping schedule... it's a tough life.

(I have one full, couch-potato-after-the-office day off a week... and one active recovery day. Some weeks I need 2 days completely off, especially when training has been heavy or work is stressful. I'm leaner and improving more quickly doing this than I was when trying to train nearly every day.)

Dancing Irishman and raindance like this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

There is a point when if your body is in constant stress be it mental or physical or sleep deprivation that your cortisol levels go up then you are doomed. Need recovery

15. JudeMorrigan

Ah, well. To say my work stress is at the highest point it's been at in years would be an understatement.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I resemble that

Mr 4 styles and FancyFeet like this.
  17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yoga and weight training are paying off, as well as better eating habits. I seem to have gone down a size in tops. Pants, even slim pants, fit fine and some are even loose. Yeah, me.

Not the whining thread, but I don't feel like finding it. I left part of my lunch in the refrigerator at home; it was a low sugar Greek yogurt and a container of fruits and vegetables. Oh well, I guess it's a just a protein bar and/or a small container of peanut butter until I get home for dinner. The salad bar at the work café isn't worth making the effort.

18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lunch not entirely a loss today - I had a container of Greek yogurt in the refrigerator in the break room - that I didn't eat last week. The yogurt isn't the low sugar kind, but beggars can't be choosers.

19. Mr 4 styles

Some one (s) think I exercise too much
    You tell me
    Open GOLD smooth seven rounds on thurs
    Regular Workout ,Latin practice with pro 1.5 hrs and Orange theory workout on friday
    Open GOLD Latin on Saturday 5 rounds
    Xterra 3.6 mile trail run sunday
    Workout, 1.5 hrs with latinpro then 1.5 hrs with smooth pro today

A bit much Yes? :wacky:o_O:beye::rolleyes:

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

No more than Jimmie Johnson/NASCAR driver, when he does a bike race or marathon before his actual car race.
    lol, wink.