Dancers Anonymous > Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some fiend brought in a platter of homemade mini cinnamon rolls today.

Purr likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Junkie.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

You think? When does your body have time to rest and recover? I'm thinking that if/when your body decides to crash, it's going to be ugly.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That's just evil.

Loki likes this.
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I had to take another day off from the gym this morning. Today wasn't really about fatigue, as much as I may have enjoyed that extra 45 minutes in bed. Rather, my knees are starting to really bother me. I ought to be able to work the volume up over time, but I guess they don't have a whole lot more than 15mi a week in them at this point right now - at least on top of my dance practice. Which is kind of vexing, but is what it is.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a yellow light from your body

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Lol joe. Yep confessed fitness junkie . Jude.. joint fatigue can be rate limiting unlike muscular endurance which can be increased through more volume

Ice helps if you must press on

8. Mr 4 styles

Also if you are running as part of those 15 miles you should make sure you are wearing the correct shoes. Knee support if needed and have a running mechanics evaluation by a good physical therapist who works with runners

Sania likes this.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I am running as a 100% of those 15 miles. I do need to get new shoes. I had my gait analyzed (albeit not by a physician) and all that before buying my current pair, but that was ages ago and they've got vastly more miles on them than they should.

But I come from a family of runners, used to do 20+ (still low by my family's standards) a week and am not getting *that* old. I *should* be able to do more. (/stupid, self-destructive self-flagellation)

10. Mr 4 styles

New shoes
    Repeat gait analysis. Dancing will have changed your agonist antagonist imbalances

I did all this when I started running again for Spartan race training and I had changes from my cross country days

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yoga class is cool, and I like walking. And dancing is for the most part enjoyable now. But, going to the gym isn't exactly my favorite thing. So, here's what motivates me to go.

1) Keep sciatic nerve pain at bay; works, too, have to stay vigilant about it
    2) Increase strength and muscle tone
    3) Lose inches
    4) Lose weight

raindance likes this.
  12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

What do you currently do at the gym? Maybe you can find something you find intrinsically enjoyable by experimenting?

Purr likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Agree DI there are many kinds of workouts to inspire a person

knocked out 8.4 mile trail run with 1040 feet of climb this afternoon 90 minutes not my fastest but a little tired lol

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

You could also try different gyms if you're so inclined. I've found the vibe and clientele can vary a lot, even within the same chain.

Purr likes this.
  15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

FINALLY! Done, basically, with all the hours, mileage and efforts of step-dad's trust, today re-booting workouts and exercise. Gonna be a slow go to get back to where I was,,,but it's all clear ahead without distraction of having to do spreadsheets! YIPEEEE, shoes on, fitness gear, check, note time before class, check, the happy gym rat in me is ALIVE!!!! until the next thing the lawyer askes for. hahahaha

Sania and Purr like this.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I visited another location when my local gym was being remodeled awhile back. It was bigger, had more things to do, and more groups classes than my local gym. I wouldn't say the other location is convenient - 25 minute drive versus less than 10 minute drive to local gym - but it's a possibility.

I will post later about what I do at the gym, organized into categories: warm-up, cardio, weight machine, yoga and related, and physical therapy/sciatica related. In the meantime, it's my lunch hour, and that means it's time for a walk!

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, so I didn't walk. At all. Veged out with hubby binged on Star Trek Voyager series. WHY? oh why???
    So, today, going to hit it. walk walk walk. Free weight training tonight. Entered a challenge on the FitBit.

18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

About 2 and a half years ago I was in physical therapy for sciatica for a little over 10 weeks. I went about 3 times a week that time period. Some of it was hard; several people there for therapy told me I'm glad I don't have to do what you're doing. That's why I am always not fond of going to the gym, because basically it's physical therapy for me. They told me if I didn't keep up the exercises I would relapse, and even if I did there was a probability I would relapse anyway. They also suggested yoga; however, the yoga class is different enough and I like the people in the class so it's enjoyable. They also suggested walking; I like it because it's a nice break in my work day.

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Sunday's workout

Warm up stretches
    7 minute warm up program on bike; level 2 of 3
    15 minute warm up on elliptical; 5 minutes at 6/5 setting, 5 minutes at 5/4 setting, 5 minutes at 6/5 setting; I am calling elliptical a warm up for legs because of what’s coming next

Plank up on exercise ball – 3 sets of 10
    Roll ball back and forth from plank position on exercise ball – 3 sets of 10; burns at end
    Alternating arm and leg raises – 3 sets of 10
    Superman – 1 set of 10; should have done another set or so but wasn’t feeling it so didn't
    Yoga stretches – child’s pose, cat, cow and cobra; feels good, stretches out back
    Light free weights; warm up arms for what’s to come
    End with Warrior II and wide legged forward fold just because
    *Most of this is from physical therapy

Leg Press – 4 sets of 10 at 115 pounds; feet in different positions; one in plié
    Triceps extension – 3 sets of 10; 2 sets at 40 pounds; 1 set at 45 pounds
    Leg raise – 3 sets of 10 at 55 pounds
    Glute extension – 2 sets of 10 per leg at 35 pounds
    Abdominal curls – 3 sets of 10; 70 pounds
    Forward row – 2 sets of 10 at 40 pounds
    Lateral pull down – 3 sets of 10 at 40 pounds
    Pectoral fly – 3 sets of 10 at 30 pounds
    Chest press – 3 sets of 10 at 30 pounds
    Lateral pull down – 1 set of 10 at 50 pounds
    Rotary torso – 2 sets of 10 per side; 1 set at 40 pounds; 1 set at 45 pounds
    Leg extension – 3 sets of 10 at 50 pounds
    *looked for piece of equipment to do additional bicep curls and arm work; couldn’t find it so skipped it
    ** Leg press, glute extension and rotary torso mimic exercises from physical therapy

Yoga stretches – mountain pose, tree pose, tree pose variation; warrior II, wide legged forward fold
    Floor stretches and begin to cool down
    Additional yoga stretches – child’s pose, cat, cow, one cobra, staff pose, boat pose, few others I can't think of names
    Cross legged sit and breathe for a few minutes
    Ohmmmmmm

I’m done

20. Mr 4 styles

Well done!!!!