Dancers Anonymous > Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Anything less than three hours of intense physical exertion is a "rest day" for me

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I really got my weight down when I was running. I felt good and I thought I looked better than I had in years. Then I developed arthritis in my knee. :(

3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Walking decent distances regularly can actually be quite helpful for getting/staying in shspe, while being much gentler on the joints. Workouts take a lot longer than the quick calorie burn of running, but the benefits (per mile) are supposed to be similar.

So if a three mile run is too hard on the joints, a three mile walk can be a good substitute. And you can build up to faster walking paces, which can actually get you a good cardiovascular workout.

Mr 4 styles and RiseNFall like this.
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Went shopping yesterday...bought a pair of jeans in a smaller size...I now have jeans in 3 sizes in my dresser...key for losing inches for me is high protein diet and lots of weight intense and/or strength exercises at the gym...like walking and yoga, but they don't cut it by themselves for losing inches...

cornutt likes this.
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, a massive amount of yard work over 3 days for me and hubby. Ripping out old stuff, diseases plants, things growing we have no idea what it is, what a workout!!!! Still hanging onto pants 3 sizes too big (use them for yards now), haven't been this current size in years!!! Inches changed, weight is stable, and 6 pounds from goal after breaking a 4 month plateau!

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Family member finally acknowledged..."you're losing weight".

Sania likes this.
  7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Anybody have a digital scale they like? Preferably one that keeps some history. Mine is now changing my weight a tad too rapidly. No, I did not gain--or lose-- 1.5 pounds in the last 2 seconds....

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Aria linked to Fitbit

RiseNFall likes this.
  9. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

No tracking on this one, but I have found it accurate so far (e.g. stepping on and off repeatedly within a minute, all readings are the same unless it hasn't been zeroed since being moved ... then they all match after zeroing):

From Amazon, search:
    iDOO Precision Digital Bathroom Scale 440lb 200kg 19 inch Oversize Jumbo Steady Platform

It is not as huge as the title makes it sound ... picked a wide width so it's easy for anyone in the family to use (some folks have big feet!).

It seems like the heavy glass top may be helping - I had avoided those in favor of lighter ones in the past, but the light ones always seemed to give three different readings if you get on and off three times in the morning.

RiseNFall likes this.
  10. cornutt

I don't trust anything but a balance scale. But I don't know of one that keeps history.

11. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

A balance scale as in the kind used at doctors' offices? Yes, I would assume they are the most accurate.

I went with the iDOO Precision Digital Bathroom Scale and a stick it note. ;)

Thank you!

cornutt and raindance like this.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I don't care that much about my weight. I'm more interested in losing inches, and what my clothes size is. And especially, I'm interested in how I feel.

3wishes, SwingingAlong, Sania and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Well we will see how all the extra muscular endurance work and trail running helps eith doing eight rounds of open latin in an hour and a half on Saturday. That's after 8 rounds of smooth in two hours on friday. Assuming no semis

Of the( four rounds) of single Latin dances (20 total) 19 are in a row!!!

Sania likes this.
  14. cornutt

I actually ran a 5K today, for the first time in two years. The knee is feeling a lot better now that the weather is warmer,. and the most recent gel injection is still holding up. Wednesday is usually lunchtime zumba day, but the instructor called in sick. What's plan B? The weather was pleasant, so I decided to run. Got a surprisingly comfortable pace going and I was just cruising. Reached my turnaround point for my usual 2-mile jaunt, and I decided I was feeling pretty good, so I kept going. Wound up running it in 35 minutes (didn't time it closely), which I realize is not a great time, but it was a great result for me at this point. Gym tomorrow.

15. Mr 4 styles

Good work bro. The times come down on their own with repetition. Don't push it unless your on a training deadline of some type

cornutt likes this.
  16. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

I went for a short 6km bike ride with DH, through one of our local trails. First time I've been on a bike since.....um...9 years! A bit wobbly for a start, I hadn't ridden that style of bike before, it is much shorter in the frame than my road bike, so much nippier - and it reflects my lack of confidence. And the disc brakes are scary. No ill effects though, so it looks as if I can add that to the 3-4 hours dancing I'm doing over the week. I suggested that if we can build up slowly, I would like to do one of our historic trails once my remaining treatments are done with. The scenery is stunning, and I've always wanted to go: http://www.otagocentralrailtrail dot co.nz/
    It opens up a whole new world where we can do things together, if he doesn't mind going at my pace:rolleyes:

17. Mr 4 styles

Well 8 rounds of open gold smooth in two hours done and done. Could have done more. Won the two gentlemens only events and second in open c scholarship.

Rinse and repeat today in Latin in an hour and a half .., Hoping for the best

Purr, Sania, cornutt and 3 others like this.
  18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, I must say, except for still having to sling 9 more HUGE bags of mulch...the yards are looking fabulous darlin'. The muscles are sore. The husband is begging for us to be done as he eases into the hot tub calling me a slave driver. I blame it on the sun, yes, sunshine and the coming heat, exiting out of the rain and June gloom. lol
    Missed Zumba all week, but really now, a shovel, pitchfork, and other necessary items were, well...you get the picture,,,no need for free weights either.
    But, I will be hitting the Zumba class and walking/ weight lifting solidly next week before our road trip to OK City, and north to Custer S.D. for family reunion.! Whew...planning on some great hikes!

19. Mr 4 styles

Latin was even tougher. 8 rounds in an hour and a half including 19 singles in a row. Wth they think I'm a pro ??? But did well and got some compliments from the judges. Rest day sorta today

Purr, Sania, cornutt and 1 other person like this.
  20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Could you share some details on that? Tnx.

RiseNFall likes this.