Dance Articles > For Teachers: 5 Ways to Relax Students Without Using the "R" Word

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Joy In Motion, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

Hey guys!

I just published a new article on my website, written specifically for teachers. It talks about the natural consequences of learning, the unintended consequences of our teaching, and five ways we can relax students without using the word they really don't want to hear. I welcome all feedback and discussion. Happy dancing (and teaching)!

5 Ways to Relax Students Without Using the "R" Word

2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this article, thanks for sharing it!

Joy In Motion likes this.
  3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'd like to commend a couple of these sub-points that definitely resonate with me:

1. "Use music that assists rather than hinders students in completing the exercises based on their skill level"

Thank you. It is unbelievable to me that this is not common sense. I recently had to tell an instructor, just pick a different song, I'm not paying you $xx an hour to argue about where the 4&1 is in this song. (It was a very ambiguous, not good piece of music. Trust me.)

2. "Don’t ask trick questions (questions that students will likely be unable to answer)"

This. So much this. Just tell me what you want me to know. I'm not here to play guessing games.

4. Somesh

Somesh New Member

2. "Don’t ask trick questions (questions that students will likely be unable to answer)"

This is a must avoid. Many people try to show off their knowledge thinking that will increase their respect. It doesn't

IndyLady and Joy In Motion like this.
  5. tomm

tomm New Member

Yeah , In Salsa some teachers use songs with uneven bars, so the dancer's 1 becomes the 5... some teachers ignor it completly, and left me confused and unsure, always thinking something is off ... some teachers change accoring to the song but didnt explain what happend....
    At some point it is ok to choose difficult songs tho, but explain whats going on, why the song flips, what instrument to listen to in certain parts etc..

6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

If there's an instructional purpose behind using a difficult song, like what you described, that's fine. Otherwise, there's no point in sticking with a "wth" song given the plethora of good, straightforward songs that exist in every dance (which is usually what is needed to practice whatever technique is being worked on). I have very little patience for wasting precious lesson time trying to figure out a weird song and how to dance to it when that's not the primary focus of the lesson. That's an exercise best left to practice party.

Loki and raindance like this.
  7. mossdanceacademy

mossdanceacademy New Member

Great article mate. Thought of suggesting you some changes regarding the topic but it was picture perfect as far as I concern.

8. RythmHansen

RythmHansen New Member

This was a great read. Thanks for sharing, Joy! :)