Ballroom Dance > foxtrot timing fix

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

I really like this song. can anyone suggest a good pitch or tempo for this song to make it more danceable? I have audacity software and can change it but don't know how other would consider it being done. thanks in advance.

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Danceability is not a question of the pitch, but rather of the rhythm. The peace got an underlying shuffle rhythm.

3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the first song that plays? The link you posted is an entire album. If the first song, you'd need to bump up the tempo of the song by 27% to get it to competition tempo, but then the singer's vibrato gets pretty quivery -- doesn't sound great.

4. ballroomdancertoo

thanks guys. sorry yeah, first song. yeah tried up the tempo the voice does quiver. oh well, I guess i'll just listen to it for enjoyment.
    any suggestions for a danceable version?

5. Borazine

Borazine New Member

There seems to be a ballroom cover of the song, "Moonlight Serenade," on the album Let's Dance vol. 5 by the Columbia Ballroom Orchestra.

6. opendoor

ballroomdancertoo, the version is well danceable. Or do you mean a competition-ready tempo? For social dancing the tempo is fine.

7. ballroomdancertoo

thanks opendoor. but if it was competition-ready tempo (international style) what would you recommend?

8. opendoor

Since the Miller´s version is 76 bpm, nobody really is willing to speed it up. Done with Audacity it really sounds awkward. You could try to find an instrumental version (or play it yourself), speed it up and ask then a lady to sing to it?

9. ballroomdancertoo

thanks, perhaps i think i should just enjoy it until someone else makes a better vocal rendition. by the way, just listening to it without changes the singer has a very vibrato ending to her phrasing, kinda annoying.

10. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

Moonlight Serenade - classic Glenn Miller tune from around 1938 - 39, depending on the version you reference. Since then many singers of note have essayed a shot at it. My collection includes, of course, the Glenn Miller ’39 version, as well as Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Carly Simon, Barry Manilow and one or two “Ballroom” versions. You might like a version by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks on their album “Moonlight Serenade – Hits of the 30’s and 40’s”. It’s just slightly up-tempo from most renditions but still has the languid, almost melancholy feeling of the Miller standard.

11. ballroomdancertoo

thanks, Al. I heard the vince Giordano version just now. I kinda was hoping for a vocal version. thanks again.