Tango Argentino > from salsa to tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by olamalam, Nov 28, 2016.

1. JTh

JTh Member

I would agree with this. Focus on the fundamentals of tango - things like balance, posture, frame, weight transfer, and the embrace. You goal would be to establish the connection and all the above feed into that.

2. vit

vit Active Member

Well, most of that sound like fundamentals of any dance, with exception of frame/embrace/open hold/no hold depending on the dance ... those are fundamentals of dance movement and not of particular dance ... just that in salsa it's not that easy to get that, not because of dance but because of teachers (the same for some other social dancing genres) ...

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

It is decidedly so. And so is tango music, so I see a parallel here. The better you know the music, the better dancer you potentially become.

opendoor likes this.
  4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Just thought that this needed to be reposted. Of course, it applies to all dances, actually.

5. JTh

JTh Member

Yes absolutely.
    In class, our instructor keeps harping on about the basics and how they are the base for more advanced moves.

6. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

So the basics are really the basics. Great! ;)

7. JTh

JTh Member

the basics are also more important i found given the high level of improvisation required in AT; as a leader id be on my a** if i didnt have some of the basics ...wont be able to improvise and lead clearly; followers would be confused..could get messy.

8. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

Listening to teachers and reading their Homepages about the long list what they teach very well, I'm in general more interested of what's not so important for them. What they omit, neglect and disregard for the things they consider to be more important. :cool:

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Another way of judging a teacher is by how their students dance.

vit and sixela like this.
  10. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Providing it's a dance teacher