General Dance Discussion > Frozen Body Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sagitta, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So I experience this with a few dancers. They lock their bodies up so that there is no elasticity in the connection. Let us take salsa. So when doing linear salsa I can move their hands in doing the basic but as soon as I start a move it is as if I have started a top spinning...no elasticity in connection as I normally would experience in let us say doing a followers double turn. I call these people "tops" as that is what they remind me off.​
    Anyone experienced this? Not easy for em to explain, and for the more experienced dancers/teachers out there...how have you managed to change this? ​

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Have you already tried to lead with one finger only?

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yes. Does not work. Just as bad. :(

4. opendoor

no idea, also :(

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My guess is a lot of that comes from less experienced dancers who are trying really, really hard to hold their posture and their frame. Give them an A for effort. They'll learn. In the meantime, relax your own body a bit more.

Some of it may also be follows who are trying to protect themselves from being injured by clumsy or excessively forceful leads.

6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Also, better that than the 'double dutch jump rope' swiveling arms that you see by beginners or club denizens....

dbk and opendoor like this.
  7. opendoor

Not this, but I´ve got some experience with the single-mother-syndrome. Joke aside, next trial: Think we agree that it should be about a mental phenomenon, do we? Then try to lead only by intentional movements, but without any real physical contact. Think it would be more effective to brake this blockage first than to begin teaching any practical dance steps. I mean something like what usually contact impro classes begin with. Hope that may help.