Dancers Anonymous > Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I had planned on eating healthily today. I brought my lunch of soba noodles, veggies and tofu even. But one of my coworkers spent the holidays in the Netherlands and there was a box full of *real* Belgian chocolates by the coffee maker this morning. Really, I feel like it would be just *rude* to not partake...

stash, cornutt, SwingingAlong and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

100 burpees as penance

Purr likes this.
  3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

1. I love karaoke, now that I've done it a couple times, which is totally unexpected because it's never been something I was interested in. No word on what the audience really thinks.

2. After my brief trip over the holidays, I'm starting to consciously and unapologetically realize that I would prefer simple "no frills" hotels (think Holiday Inn Express) to alleged luxury hotels (like one of the famous ones on the Vegas strip or the ones they hold professional conferences at). I would rather just have an easily accessible room with a comfortable bed, microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. High end with a view does me no good when it takes 5+ minutes to get down to the lobby, and coffee is only available at the hotel Starbucks, and there's no free/convenient way to store food or other items that need refrigeration. 2-3 stars seems to suit me better than 4+ stars.

bia, Purr, FancyFeet and 1 other person like this.
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Let the number of bedbugs be your guide...

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you don't tell, I won't tell.

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Did a full day of walking, work out, weight lifting, YES YES YES see me smiling

j_alexandra likes this.
  7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I agree. Plus most likely free parking, wifi, and often breakfast, unlike at the fancier places. That said, the comfortable bed part of the equation is central. In one recent attempt to apply this rule, the hotel was otherwise fine but the sheets were rough enough to interfere with my sleep. (And I do enjoy a fluffy towel, though that's less decisive.) So making sure that the no-frills place still spends enough for nice enough linens has become my major criterion.

IndyLady and RiseNFall like this.
  8. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Yup, this most recent hotel had all three of those, which I definitely appreciated. I think I'm just getting jaded, but a lot of the alleged "high end" hotels seem to provide less, but for a lot more money.

3wishes likes this.
  9. 3wishes

I know!!! I cancelled a comp at a great city, because after yet another hotel fee although I was using points for the overnight, $25 for a microwave to be brought to room (huh???), $25 for a fridge, room service menu that $$ were ridiculous,no coffee set up in the room, and this was a supposed 5 star hotel, and we've stayed in really nice with a view hotels where these charges didn't exist and we will continue to seek those out, DH final straw,, the charge for a microwave on a nightly basis, so cancelling saved us buco bucks,,not for dancing, but just the sheer $$$ of hotel charges, good GOD!!

Purr and IndyLady like this.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

They're just taking their cue from the airlines. ;)

Purr likes this.
  11. 3wishes

I agree, and not to high jack this thread, but I read in paper yesterday that United Airlines and several others will be charging a fee for the overhead bin if your ticket is for a certain level of economy class. Good Lord.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I don't think you can highjack a random thought thread. ;)

Purr, Sania, Dancing Irishman and 2 others like this.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So...when does Southwest start flying to Europe and Asia? :)

stash, j_alexandra and 3wishes like this.
  14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Not for a long time, if ever. A big part of their biz model is flying one aircraft, the 737. I don't think a 37 will ever have transoceanic range. OTOH, technology marches on and biz models do change.

15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Holy partner enquiries, Batman! I think today's take it up to 5 messages in 7 days... my ads have been up (and kept current) for months. Did a whole bunch of open-level partnerships break up over the holidays?

(Sadly, still no Canadians...)

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The 737 MAX and A320neo models will have trans-Atlantic range. Airlines have to come up with something to replace the 757's, which are getting old in the tooth.

Loki likes this.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ads, where?

18. FancyFeet

Dancepartner.com, dancesport.uk.com, dancesportinfo.net, and a few FB groups.

19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Dancepartner.com has proven spectacularly useless for me here in the American south. Oh, wait. This isn't the whine thread. Sorry, my bad. :p

Sania, Dancing Irishman, Joe and 2 others like this.
  20. FancyFeet

Same. Mostly social, and lower level, and not really all that serious about dance.

Dancesportinfo is where I've been having the most luck, but it's pretty much pre-champ and above.

Dancing Irishman and Mr 4 styles like this.