Dancers Anonymous > Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Not all cultures put emphasis on using deodorant or have it readily buyable, so they might have bathed, but worked up a good sweat afterwards.

It's like women not shaving their legs - normal to some, but Sasquatch to me.

Joe likes this.
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

No. Their attire looked dirty and rumpled, and their hair was stringy. The smell was really strong, not something from just a workout. I'm also dubious this was a cultural thing.

FYI, they were standing in front of the Gorton's frozen fish packaging in the frozen aisle. Maybe I should have taken a photo: two middle aged, smelly white guys buying frozen fish.

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Look at it this way... At least you weren't dancing with them.

chomsky, Sania, Joe and 1 other person like this.
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Sounds like many of the homeless around here. Many also reek of urine as well.

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yesterday evening I stopped off at the library. There's a woman there with her four children, and she's holding a ferret on a leash. She sees me looking at the ferret. I ask her is that a ferret? She says yes, and asks me if I want to pet it. I politely decline, but I say that one of my former coworkers had ferrets. She volunteers that the ferret is an emotional support animal for her younger son, who she points out, just ran off down an aisle. She collects her children, checks out books and leaves.

An emotional support animal is an animal that provides comfort to its owner. Just about any animal - dog, cat, bird, fish, or whatever - can be an emotional support animal. I hadn't really thought about ferrets, but they probably fit too. The ferret seemed to be behaved, it was on a leash, and the librarian on duty didn't have any objections and she could not have failed to see the ferret. The ferret was cute and seemed friendly. I thought there was some question about their legality in the state, but that was a number of years ago, and I don't know the current status.

In case anyone is wondering, there is a difference between an emotional support animal and a service animal. The latter is trained to perform specific task(s) for its owner, that the owner can not do for himself. Service animals are generally dogs, although I have heard of miniature horses being service animals.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Was it supporting him as he ran down the aisle?

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

No. Mom was holding the ferret in her arms; the ferret was on a leash too. Kid didn't have the ferret. She said the ferret was an emotional support animal for the kid.

I'm not sure why the ferret should have been allowed in the library, or even why the kid would need the ferret to go to the library. But there's no food served in the library, and the ferret didn't make as mess, as least as far as I know. Maybe I should have asked if the kid takes the ferret to school too.

8. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that sounds like abuse of the system wrt service animals. I highly doubt the ferret was truly a support animal, she was probably either lying or somehow got someone to sign off on the paperwork. The first red flag was that she asked if you wanted to pet the ferret. The second is that the ferret didn't stay with the boy, which didn't seem to bother him. I suspect we will see more of this as people "file the paperwork" so they can take their pets wherever they need to go.

What's truly interesting about this topic is that it showed up in another forum I visit, a discussion thread about whether service animals and fraudulent use of that classification was increasingly a problem.

Purr likes this.
  9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Purr and Dancing Irishman like this.
  10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Back to Sunny Florida tonight.
    Hope NE storm doesn't screw up flights too badly.

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a problem. I know one area university that allows students to bring their emotional support animals into the dorms. But there have been problems when the students want to bring their animals into other places, like the where food is prepared. I understand students love their animals, but you can't take one everywhere. Unless the animal is a service animal performing a specific task(s), there have to be boundaries.

If I get another cat, I'm thinking about getting it declared an emotional support animal.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If I get another cat, I'm calling it Oh So Tasty.

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I was driving to the gym yesterday, and I noticed one of the houses on the street still had red and white Christmas lights on in the yard. Dude, you're either really late taking them down, really early putting them up, or celebrating the season year round.

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Valentines Day?

Sania, RiseNFall and raindance like this.
  15. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I just love Canova's sculptures, I am so crazy for them...

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Possibly, but lights have been up since before Christmas. I drive past this house all the time.

I noticed another house on the street had lit green Christmas lights still in the bushes in their year. And other house had a Merry Christmas sign still on the roof, although it wasn't lit.

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Around here, lights often stay up until late March. There's just too much snow to take them down before that!

(People do stop turning them on by late-Jan, usually.)

18. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

the moon up in the sky in the early hours of morning...

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The snow excuse won't work here this year - this winter has been remarkable for a lack of snow.

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Here also