Dancers Anonymous > Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Meh, I'm not going to tone police the employee. It wasn't some meek "excuse me", he pretty much barged up to the counter like there was no one else there. I think she pretty much had to make it crystal clear upfront that he was going to have to wait. If you're going to (attempt to) rudely interrupt someone else's transaction, I don't think it's on everyone else to treat you with kid gloves. I also think that if such rudeness (of the "can't wait my turn" type) wasn't tolerated or accommodated so much, there might be less of it.

jiwinco, Dancing Irishman and Loki like this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Best workplace question ever, in conversation just now: "Have you ever puked up a popsicle?"

My coworkers are hilarious.

cornutt likes this.
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

So... I've been offered an opportunity to purchase a vacation retreat way down south on the water. :)

Location is great - one of my favorite hangouts - and the price is good.

But the other side of the coin is funding has to come from somewhere and that would partly be the dance budget. Not quite ready to drop back to social dancing only (no offense, socialites) but I don't know...

Guess I have to mull this one over for a bit, although the clock is running. <mull, mull, mull, mull> Too late to get a cheap seat to fly down for the weekend to feel it out...

Time to crack the bourbon and go mull on my deck...

4. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I may be missing something, but you're thinking of buying the place without even seeing it? What's the rush??

Otherwise, cost-wise, what does it look like to buy this sort of place vs. continue vacationing down there without buying it? Is it more fun to have your own place, or more fun to have a place with no upkeep (costs and time for upkeep)?

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I've stayed there and asked the owners to contact me if they ever wanted to cash out. I could rent it out when I'm not there to generate some revenue.

I've also looked at places in Wisconsin. I could drive up on short notice in a couple hours. But no palm trees or sharks and renting out would be more limited.

Yes, the intangibles do need to be considered.

6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

My mother, my son, and I are going to Greece in early July. She is 87, cannot really safely travel by herself any more, and a few weeks ago said wistfully, "I guess I'll never get to go to Greece." We now have all flights, hotels, and a car rental for the portion we'll be on Crete. I have been to Athens, but that is it, so I'm very much looking forward to it as well. Most of the planning and booking took place yesterday--my mother came over and we sat in the kitchen with two computers for about seven hours. It was one of those situations where we were grabbing, or missing, the last rooms places. Then I stayed up too late reading The King Must Die by Mary Renault. :)

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

So, what did you decide? It sounds like an exciting opportunity, especially if the property could be a rental when you're not using it. Or maybe I've been watching the vacation rental shows on HGTV too much.

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I decided against it.

If I owned it, I'd feel obligated to use it rather than having (more) freedom to bop around wherever.

3wishes, Sania and raindance like this.
  9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I love freedom to bop around rather than owning.
    So my happy thought today..... pay off house? It's seriously less than a new mid size SUV cost at this point, or continue with my $150 a month mortgage. You read that right, cpa says "it wouldn't matter your house payment is nothing anyways" my brain says go for it. Itching to have a mortgage burning party. Lol.

j_alexandra and Sania like this.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I assume you are at the point where most of the interest is paid down, so you aren't getting much on the tax deduction anymore. If you are considering selling, now might be the time to pay it off. It will sure make your life less complicated when you go to sell, and you'd be in a good position to take an all-cash offer if someone made you one. But if my mortgage payment was that low, and I was staying, I'd keep making the payments. The longer you stretch it out, the more inflation works in your favor.

3wishes likes this.
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Wished all my ballroom sisters and brothers from our studio, just the best ever, as they depart LAX to London Saturday for the Smooth Pro-Am at Blackpool, although I had to laugh when they shared the upcoming adventure of hair apppointments in completely different hotels from their stay, and traveling by taxi in the very wee hours for a 4 a.m. Appt. lol so glad I do my own. Serious excitement and happiness for them all, many extending for a full British isles vacation after they compete. Kudos!

cornutt, j_alexandra, Sania and 3 others like this.
  12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

And here I think Chicago to London is a long flight...

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've done Atlanta to Tokyo.

14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

So, yesterday morning I went to the gym. There was a young guy parked in front of the gym, fussing over his motorcycle. He sees me pull in, and asked me if I could spare a couple of pennies. I ask what does he need them for. He says something about using them to set a spring, and about 3 pennies will do it. So I give him 3 pennies, and I go into the gym to work out. I'm there about an hour.

I drive into the shopping plaza across the street to Michaels and buy a few things. When I come out, there's 3 quarters stuck to the driver's side door handle. I can only assure they were from the motorcycle owner. I look around and I don't see him or the motorcycle. Go figure. Interesting way of saying thank you.

Now obviously those quarters are meant to be paid forward for something. They are in the change compartment in my car, and I'll know who they are for when the opportunity presents itself.

And please, no lectures about giving the 3 pennies to someone I don't know. I was careful, and there would have been lots of potential witnesses if something had gone wrong.

Sania, IndyLady and j_alexandra like this.
  15. Pu251

Pu251 Member

I'm wondering to buy a house or an apartment. Which one should I buy?

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It depends what you really mean by "house" and "apartment."

17. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Trade-offs with a house: more freedom from neighbors' noise, more private outdoor space, less likely to have community fees and restrictions on what you do with your space. Probably more responsibility for that outdoor space (yardwork) and all house maintenance/repairs.

18. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

How exciting:) For me the decision would be a balance between how much interest I would have to end up paying if I needed to borrow to pay for it, and what made me happy. I don't like the noise from other people and I am at home a lot, so for me at the moment a house is better. However if I was working a lot and liked to go away in the weekends, then an apartment that I could just lock the door and walk away from would be good. A friend has the ideal for her, a very tiny house on the edge of the bush (forest). The only garden is the natural landscape, no lawns or flowers. So she has no "yard work" , no community fees and no neighbors!

Pu251 likes this.
  19. Pu251

Pu251 Member

Thank you so much <3 I 'll consider it.

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Random: What happened to US dollar coins? Are they still circulating?

I recall the Susan B Anthonys being mistaken for quarters and people complaining that vending machines would have to be retrofitted to accept them.

Then there was a gold-colored (?) release but I've not seen any for years.