Dancers Anonymous > Happy and/or Random Thoughts #3

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by samina, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I get them as change from the parking garage machine I use when I travel. All the time. Fun to spend them as peeps don't see them often any more

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

They're still around. If you buy stamps from the machine at the post office, you are likely to get them as change.

Back around 1980, a lot of pinball machines had coin acceptors for Susie B's, and they would give you one or two extra plays that way vs. paying with quarters. I worked in a restaurant for a while, and I kept a wad of dollar bills on me so that any time someone paid with Susie B's or left them as tips, I'd swap bills for them. The manager was fine with it since the cash drawer didn't have a slot for them, so it was inconvenient to have them in the register, and most people didn't want them for change.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I got a Sacagawea dollar in change a couple of years ago.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

When??????1622????

5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

This is mainly random, but the stamp machines in our area no longer accept cash. It's credit/debit only. And if the purchase is not at least $1.00, you have to add something on (single first class stamps, etc) to get it there. What's very annoying is that if I'm sending something that has to be weighed and it comes out to <$1.00, I don't have the option to say, hang on, I have a second item that needs to be weighed as well - I have to buy stamps first.

And the "stamps" are printed electronically, not the traditional type where you lick the adhesive on the back.

ETA: I guess what I am really saying is there are no more stamp machines, just self-serve kiosks.

7. cornutt

Random thoughts for the evening:

* Egg rolls contain egg, but spring rolls don't contain springs.

* In all of the cities in the U.S. that I've driven in, the worst place for slow drivers in the left lane is Dallas.

* The world can't possibly be flat. If it was, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

Pu251, MaggieMoves and RiseNFall like this.
  8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

This made me laugh - it amazes me that this is a thing now. My answer is the to just agree with them, and then tell them that our spacetime is curved around a geodesic spheroid.

I've been teaching my Russian instructor bad things. The latest one:

[​IMG]

Purr, Loki and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. Pu251

Pu251 Member

10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I finally broke down and found the adult ballet class I've been saying for years that I needed to find. I was amused and appreciative by the frequency with which the correction I received was "you've got more range than that." (e.g. on my demi-pointe) The increase in foot strength alone is going to make this worthwhile.

Purr, Sania, cornutt and 5 others like this.
  11. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Hope I don't jinx myself here...

One of my minor pet peeves is when people throw food/drink trash in the trash container in my cubicle. E.g. someone comes over to talk to me with a pop or coffee in hand, finishes it while we're talking, and pitches the bottle/cup in my trash container. Particularly if it's on a day that the trash doesn't get emptied (it's every other day here - M/W/F).

I recently moved my trash can as far as it will go up against the wall underneath my desk, so it's basically inaccessible unless the other person either reaches below and past me or asks me to throw it away for them ("here, take my trash, will ya?") and so far this has successfully staved off the garbage dumpers. :dancingbanana:

12. cornutt

In the facility we just moved out of, they only emptied the cube trash cans once a week. We had a strict rule about not putting any food items (not even candy bar wrappers) in them, because any transgression was just about guaranteed to result in ants.

In the building we just moved into, they empty the cube cans every day. What a luxury! Still not putting any food items into my trash can.

IndyLady likes this.
  13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Manned up and had a conversation with my boss this morning about something that's been bothering me for a few days... it went surprisingly well. I didn't cry (which is in and of itself a huge victory, 'cause I cry when I talk about things that really matter to me), and he really listened to what I had to say... feeling much more like I'll be okay with whatever the outcome of the situation is, regardless of what that outcome is, because my points were really heard and will be reflected on over the coming days. Management props to him.

Purr, cornutt, Sania and 3 others like this.
  14. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

Dancing with DH last week, one day was crazy where he started "adding in" steps because it just felt right to him...... hey hang on, yes you can do the whisk, wing, telemark, open natural, back whisk sequence we are working on and insert a back lock between the last two steps to fill in the space because now you love going backwards and there was room..... but I haven't yet taught you back locks in waltz ....:eek::rolleyes: but then today he runs on full steam and full absorption for 1 1/2 hours and I smiled and smiled the whole time because it was pure magic...... just...WOW. I think I have created a dancer - he just floats over the floor and I am having to work at matching his movement.....:) A little bit wistful that he doesn't want to do comps, but really I can't ask for more. I am worried now that he will start learning faster than my knowledge can keep up with:rofl:

Sania, cornutt, j_alexandra and 3 others like this.
  15. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Today I made a momentous life decision: if I ever become a drag queen, my stage name will be Flossy LeDossier.

cornutt and RiseNFall like this.
  16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Ah. Obviously a DDS.

17. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

Practices with DH have been awesome - the winter weather means he hasn't been getting out walking in the hills so is happy to come and dance to burn up some energy. I just added up and we have done 7 hours in the last week! The other day he grabbed hold and spun me in a circle through sheer exuberance, and then a bit later over turned the telemark - so I thought hmmm, time for double reverse spins..... with pivots a nearby possibility. I did a demo of DRS at the end of one session and then at the next one we worked on it, and he had it sussed after about 10 minutes......:eek: smooth, and seamlessly integrated into the waltz routine.... I have decided there are some advantages to not doing comps, as it means I can add steps that fit with what he is instinctively offering, and when he gets out of time it doesn't have to be a big deal.

And the happiest thought is that I have just realised I am feeling good. 9 hours dancing and 2 1/2 hours cycling in the last week - only a few more treatments to go and I am hopefully OK for a few years. And boy, am I going to fill up that time!!

18. Pu251

Pu251 Member

19424029_10155612365112280_8789316999434800282_n.jpg

ctbXVIII likes this.
  19. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Conversation on the side of the floor this weekend:
    She: "When I told my friend that I was going dancing, he said that he'd rather wrestle a bear."
    Yours truly: "Sometimes dancing is like that."

MaggieMoves, Pu251, IndyLady and 4 others like this.
  20. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Inspiration is where you find it. I was traveling this week, and the stereo in the rental car gave me a great idea for my next career:

career.jpg

Pu251, Loki, Mr 4 styles and 3 others like this.