Ballroom Dance > Height

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ArcusGrace, Jul 25, 2017.

1. ArcusGrace

ArcusGrace New Member

Hi im interested in starting to ballroom dance but im wondering because im only 4'11 if i can even dance well with others since i am a male and from what ive seen males should be taller than the followers

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There are many height challenged ladies in the BR world. And, your height has little to do with your learning ability.

There were world champions in the past who were 5ft. 3in on a good day !

MaggieMoves likes this.
  3. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda. Of course height is a consideration. Many judges of competitions may not take height challenged dancers seriously because of the discrepancy between short men and their taller partners. I advise you to use this as a challenge rather than a handicap. Dare to be great. And allow the "stunted" views of the less enlightened to fall where they may without ruffling your feathers.

4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

In group classes and social dancing, I've happily danced with several very good dancers who are your height. It will not prevent you from being able to dance, and I hope you don't let it keep you from learning. There are plenty of women around five feet tall, who you'll be able to dance with easily. To dance with followers who are a good bit taller than you, you'll need to make a few adjustments, like dancing with more distance between you in the ballroom dances so she doesn't knee you when stepping between your feet, or figuring out ways to get your hand over her head for underarm turns. Your teacher can help you with that. Yes, dancing with truly tall ladies may be difficult, but (at least outside of the Netherlands) there aren't that many truly tall ladies. So it's not nothing, but it's it's absolutely not an insurmountable barrier. Go for it!

raindance likes this.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Arcus, welcome to DF. Of course, your answer reflects our cultural and aesthetical education. But why not change these predeterminations? And be aware that there are totally different rules in social dancing than in the world of competitive dancing. It is so helpful to learn dancing with a great range of followers each of different height. My teacher once told me, if you can lead your practice partner (a really tall woman) you can lead every woman in the world. To some degree you can also compensate height differences by heel height. Social dancers very often take along more than one pair of shoes.

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Riccardo isn't much taller than that...

And outside of the competitive ballroom community there are plenty of great leaders out there that just dance socially that happen to be shorter. You just have to adjust a bit, but ultimately it does make you a better dancer.

Most shorter leads do more free spins (which I love) than a traditional spin, and more focus on lateral movement along the dance floor.

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I find this extremely difficult to believe/agree with.

Can the DF members who judge competitions please weigh in on this?

8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Start. It doesn't matter what your height is. You will find people of all heights that you will enjoy dancing with.

Sania likes this.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

As long as the mechanics of the partnership work I don't care what height they are. How tall is Anton Lebedev (6'4")... how tall is Joanna Kay Smith (5'3")? Some how even with EXTREME height difference I had no problem marking them first and they are still able to win the STANDARD heats this weekend here in Nashville. Standard, of all divisions, is the one you would expect height to provide the biggest hurdle.

Sania likes this.
  10. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Welcome @ArcusGrace. Please do start, because only you can know if you'll like it. I'm quite short myself, and I would be lying to say it is not easier for me to lead the ladies at or near my height. (I prefer to follow, but in bronze classes I lead.) Also, your inseam height matters more than your total height, for striding together. My teacher focused on stride technique from the start so that I am able to dance with much taller partners. I hope you do like ballroom. But if not ballroom, latin or swing may still work since height matters less.