Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Really great lesson today - was going to be collecting syllabus routines for my partner and I but since we have a comp this weekend my coach overrode my request and made it a comp prep lesson. It was great, I was able to find the feeling I had during my really strong lesson and showcase a few weeks ago that was notably absent in rounds this past weekend. Goal of the lesson was to find my key words to focus on in each dance, and that was achieved (one word reminder type things I periodically remind myself of while dancing). Here's hoping I'm able to find the feeling again in two days!!!

Sania, raindance and RiseNFall like this.
  2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear someone say this. I took an adult ballet class for a while several years ago and made the mistake of disclosing that I did ballroom dance. So the teacher kept trying to relate stuff back to ballroom dance (particularly waltz, and this was in the era before I started caring about and working on my smooth dancing, so none of this resonated with me). I remember her criticizing my spotting technique once with one of those "I would have thought you would know how to do that since you do ballroom" type comments (this was an old school European teacher, fwiw, excellent at her craft but none of that ego cradling we do here). It's likely I was just doing more of a latin/rhythm-appropriate spot.

Anyways, on topic.... had a couple coachings this week and am looking forward to the rumba choreo provided for the upcoming Showcase and the cha cha technical advice she provided for existing routine to be redone. Also some choreo changes to that cha cha that I much appreciate. She made a point of telling us (instructor and me) "quality over quantity, not fluff", which ljs I think was a beneficial message.

3. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

The technique heavy twice a week classes that are (supposed to be) going through the bronze syllabus step-by-step, dance-by-dance continue to be very beneficial. I love getting some things nailed down that went over my head the first many times I was taught them. I've also gotten multiple more or less free private lessons when I was the only person there (policy is changing after the 1st of the year, but I cannot complain). Unless the teacher feels otherwise, we stick to to planned dance when it's just me, but frequently work on Silver after we cover the planned Bronze step. I'll admit that those free privates have helped me a lot in terms of getting to where I want to be before the next competitions. Last night it was me and a Bronze student...and I somewhat shockingly opened my mouth and made a suggestion when she was dancing with the teacher. :eek: It just popped out. They both seemed to be more than fine with it however, so I got to indulge my inner teacher and make more suggestions during the rest of the class. Yes, I know that it would not be appropriate with just about any other student and teacher combination. :eggface:

My private lessons are also going well. Pretty constant improvement at the moment, though, of course, sloooowwww. Terrific coaching this week where we got to work on my current nightmare step. There was an enormous difference afterwards and I had extra lessons with Pro setup (more make-up lessons from him being out of town) so we got to work on it all again.

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Pro and pro wife just returned from Paris where their son and his partner competed, so haven't really had any, plus acute bout of a month long cough literally laid me down and out.
    Start looking at calendar for potential lesson scheduling to return to technique work on smooth and the DH says in passing, "when are you returning to dance lessons, your not getting any younger" SCREAM in my head, ugh!

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Tinkering with a complicated bit, working on making it really fly and not muscling through it - with both of us making minor adjustments.

Me, after a run through where I felt pro pulled me off of my foot with his right hand: You know, my imaginary dance partner is really considerate. He never gets in my way, or squishes me, or pulls me off balance.
    Pro: Yeah, well, I'm not like him.

Much laughter and ridiculousness insured about how much better imaginary partner is than pro.

6. Dancing Irishman

Learned and videoed a syllabus Paso routine for me and partner, will also be getting a syllabusified version of our open, both for learning and practicing this weekend.

Debriefed on the comp as well - the results were rather disappointing and highlighted that partner and I need to dance much "louder" to get marks on a crowded floor in early rounds and also need to set up our travel to train the couple days prior to a comp (we're long distance and our first round is consistently *rough* and looks like we're rusty because we are). On the plus side, coach confirmed our dancing had definitely improved, even if the marks weren't good.

RiseNFall likes this.
  7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

first post-comp lesson on rhythm was good! i looked so much more grounded, FINALLY. pro was pleased with that. He saw the next two main issues to tackle, and i also got good feedback on little things. His fabulousity at mocking analogies was on full force for a couple things. Smooth review tonight!!

RiseNFall likes this.
  8. BOWEN

BOWEN New Member

I kind of stopping going to most lessons after we pushed to Silver. The repeated Choreo lessons started to matter less and focus on technique became more important

9. RiseNFall

Lots of lessons this week, as Pro will be out for the next three weeks after this. Most fun was that I had a lesson with Smooth New Guy today and the work I had done with Pro on tango and VW since my last lesson with him really showed (double on each). Also loved that SNG reminded me of something that Pro had told me, but in a different dance, and I was able to implement it using something I learned in a coaching several months ago; it's great when different threads start coming together, not to mention that it resulted in a much better feeling VW. :)

Sania likes this.
  10. scullystwin42

worked on bolero at last lesson - making things softer. Also, getting all new choreo for bolero, mambo, and cha! YAY! it's needed. Rumba and swing later this year. yay.

11. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

So with me being back for Christmas I had a lesson with pro who I haven't had a lesson in months with. It was really beneficial as he fixed issues with my frame and positioning of follow which hopefully will help in the future. I also was taught some cool moves for samba and how to make my basic technique better and competition ready

Sania, raindance and RiseNFall like this.
  12. RiseNFall

More dancing than I'm used to this week, and the quality has gotten better, resulting in a lot of muscle fatigue. Pro and I managed to hit all four smooth dances in the last four sets of lessons, which doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, but for us, it is. (Two very detailed oriented people who don't mind repeating a small bit until we're happy with how I'm doing it.) Lots to work on while he is gone, but he did an excellent job of identifying some very specific elements and setting up exercises to help with some of them.

raindance and Dance Redeemer like this.
  13. scullystwin42

got my open bolero and cha cha choreo'd! Started learning bolero, and it was super fun. much more flow and i didn't feel like my body was fighting every step, like it was in my old one. i get a new mambo later this week, and i cannot bloody wait to learn them all. Rumba and swing will be redone in early 2017. LOVE IT.

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My AP and I went to dinner last night after our lesson, and we both had the exact same sentiment: "After 10+ years of dancing, we thought we knew something about swing and sway... according to our instructor, evidently not." :rolleyes:

RiseNFall likes this.
  15. RiseNFall

Excellent VW tonight--probably the best the left and right turns have ever felt. Even better, I know how I produced it and I will be (at least should be) able to replicate it. Mind you, that quality was only there when that was absolutely all we did, but it's a start and it felt wonderful.

I've been doing rounds every lesson with Smooth New Guy, and I'm definitely getting better. My achievement tonight was that my dancing was not nearly as good as it had been, oh, 5 minutes earlier and I did not tank. Great dancing would have been even better, but nice to know I can get through it when it's not my best. It does happen every so often. ;)

16. Dancing Irishman

Really great guest coach group class last Friday - the overarching theme for both Ballroom and Latin was that controlling your own bodyweight's transfer is the foundation for all the other nonsense (hip/body action, swing/sway, shaping, etc.).

Also got me really excited to start working on ballroom with my Latin partner next year. We'll be starting with baby bronze steps because neither of us is any good yet and may never compete it, but it'll be cool to deepen my understanding and bring that knowledge to Latin.

And now, time to start the three day exercise my coach gave everyone on his team to start forming dance goals for next year! :)

17. RiseNFall

I'm in the 3rd week of Pro being gone and lessons just with the New Guys--who aren't so new any more, but I'm not changing what I call them now. We're having a blast. Well, I am--I hope they are as well, but I admit that I can be a pain at times. ;)

The coolest part is that as they get more and more experience with the Fred Astaire Syllabus, they change the steps slightly. I get into trouble when there is an element that I have been working on by myself in practices, then I try to implement what I've been practicing, but oops, they're leading something slightly different. :rofl: When I turn off everything else and just concentrate on following well, it all goes sooooo much better. :rolleyes: Sometimes it's subtle differences in what they are emphasizing, or where they are placing me relative to them. I can practically feel new brain synapses forming. :D

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  18. scullystwin42

learned the new mambo last night... super fun. works with the music so much more than my old one. funniest moment? when i totally crashed out of my pot stirrer spin. I've been doing two spins in that for years now, and he added a third, and my body was WAY CONFUSED. i love it though...i really want my rumba and swing to redone now, sigh. the patience, i need to have it.

Sania likes this.
  19. scullystwin42

hoooweee...closed smooth for 'level passing' after about 7 months of not doing those patterns. not my best performance, but not a total disaster, thankfully. was all stiff because i was unsure of the patterns, lol.

20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Pro will be back from vacation soon, and I am all better, so now to,schedule some lessons and see what I remember, it's been awhile.

j_alexandra and Sania like this.