Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Just when I believed I had the "new tango" locked down, he changed the footwork on the long wall,,,,,arrrgggghhhhhhhh.

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The most consequential event was choosing a song for a showcase routine that we will do to honor AP's recently deceased business partner. We had five songs that we liked which were, by coincidence, all Viennese waltzes. We narrowed it down to two and then let his sister make the final decision.

Then... coaching in VW. Oy. I can't remember the last time I had any instruction in VW. Stuff is waaaaaay off. :eek: AP and I are having to completely re-learn natural turns. :rolleyes:

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Much talking in lessons over the last 2 weeks. Last week, I didn't even put my shoes on - whole lesson was completed in the fuzzy slippers that I keep at the studio. Lesson #1 this week, I didn't even get to the point of pulling off my sweater. Lesson #2 at least saw the warm-ups come off, but there was no breaking a sweat. We're digesting the last comp, planning, strategizing and re-choreographing. (Should probably get my tail to the gym for a few extra workouts... or at least ease off on the laying-around-and-eating-of-crap coping mechanism to deal with comp aftermath).

I have a new tango, which brings in several figures that we had tried in the past and taken out because I just could not get them to work. All of a sudden, despite me not having touched them in well over a year, they're back in and working... and worked on the first try. The routine is apparently much trickier than my old one, but it feels easier to me. Go figure. Apparently there is something to this 'choreograph to your strengths' idea. And yay for overall technical improvements!

I also have a new set-up in tango, further left. One of the things that I do when I am tired or stressed is stand up a little straighter, which makes me bend my right arm/pop my right shoulder to find enough room for my ridiculously long limbs. Placing my whole body a little further left is, so far, helping my feel like I have enough room to keep that arm nearly straight, without having to hold such an extreme curve in my back - it lets me come to neutral much more easily, and without messing everything else up - meaning I should be able to show more dynamic use of my topline. It feels awkward right now - to both pro and I - but there is this underlying feeling of security and feeling more connected, so we're going to stick with it.

And I have a "new" QS. Well, really, I have one new short wall and we completely re-arranged 7 of my existing 8 walls into a new routine... this is seriously going to mess me up for awhile. I like the reworking, but it's going to take some time before the new order doesn't involve me hesitating at the start of each and every wall while I take a second to remember what's next. (Feeling slightly vindicated that pro was finding the change simple - because he ran through it a bit on his own as he re-worked - but then we switched something around from his rework and he started to hesitate too. And there was a fair amount of swearing as we tried to run the new routine... it was apparently hilarious to watch us fly down the ballroom at full speed, then stop cold at random spots, swear, and without speaking to each other, walk back to try it again. Thank goodness there were no kids around!)

4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Great coaching in smooth yesterday - i wanted to focus on tango and VW, but it ended up slow waltz and tango - but it's ok because the feedback in waltz will help FT and VW toooooooooo..... tango was amazing coaching. i finally got the right feeling, so that my tango is less "skate-y" looking with my feet. now to hold onto that! Rhythm coaching today, can't wait!

RiseNFall likes this.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

So glad that someone else does this.

s2k and FancyFeet like this.
  7. 3wishes

So, I guess, in a few weeks my lessons will hit a "complete full stop" as pro takes off for Europe and travels that cover 3 months. Frustrating.

8. 3wishes

Group comp class, Tango, pro was seriously shocked at how well I executed the figures and open work that I've never seen or done before.....thank you...thank you very much! Enough that he stopped the class and stood there speechless, TA DAAAAA! And she bows.

Sania, j_alexandra and RiseNFall like this.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

So, probably against my better judgment, I've agreed start working on a spotlight argentine tango routine, to be performed at a future party. There are a lot of elements of argentine tango that I like, and some, well, not so much. Hopefully I will have some input into the content of the routine. My track record hasn't been great lately for completing anything, so we'll see if the routine makes it across the finish line.

10. scullystwin42

wonderful coaching in rhythm. Very helpful in bolero and cleaned up a lot in cha cha. Can't wait to work on that again today.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sadly, delayed a week due to traffic /timing issues

12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My pro just kicked them into high gear. I did really well at my last competition and he doesn't want me slacking off. I got the leg weights today while we did rounds right at the start of the lesson. I think it was a bit of payback for slapping him during our jive. :rofl:

Standard lessons are going well. Most of it centered around my footwork because I haven't done it in awhile. The routines are basic, but I seem to get a lot of random compliments from people about it.

3wishes and Sania like this.
  13. 3wishes

Great results in tango and new foxtrot long wall choreography. Finally!!!

Sania likes this.
  14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Still feeling a little blah. Pro's picking up on that, so there is also still more talking than normal... he get props for just letting me work through my funk, and for discussing future plans without trying to fake-motivate me.

I'm (still) liking the new tango. After working it for a while last night in a lesson, there was some neck cramping happening as I adjusted to the combination of the new stance and the new choreo, but nothing of supreme concern.

Pro was a little disappointed that I hadn't completely memorized the new QS yet... but my entire explanation was pretty much 'Yeah, I learned the new tango, and did the video research you wanted on W and FT (analysis of my comp performance, and YouTube links to suggested changes), but I don't have QS down yet. Wrote it down, but didn't get to running it yet. Sorry."

For the record: Over the weekend, I learned one entirely new routine - memorized and can now dance it straight through, at speed, with acceptable performance and technical execution - and did several hours of video analysis and research - plus my regular weekend gym/ballet/flexibility work... I feel no guilt about not having learned a second new routine to the standard of the first. Sheesh.

Sania, Purr, Dance Redeemer and 3 others like this.
  15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I was in Pro's office yesterday and said, "oh, new chairs?" He said no. I, confused, asked, "but weren't they black, not brown?" Him, "no, they've always been brown, but you're usually only in here when you are upset." :rofl:

Lessons have been swinging back and forth between exciting and incredibly frustrating. Frustrated with myself. There are a whole bunch of things that cross between really good and simply unacceptable (from my point of view). The "fixes" vary, but are beginning to coalesce around a few themes, which is a relief.

I think I commented somewhere on DF that I used to ride dressage and I could run through the dressage tests in detail in my head, "see" the faults that would result from my imaginary riding, and fix them. I am so far from being able to do that in dance. In a lot of cases, I see the faults, but not how to fix them. :confused: I'm trying to work on that and address particular roadblocks in my lessons. I'm actually closest in VW because it has been such a hot mess historically that I've worked on it in a way that facilities this kind of visualization. On VW in general: I had a 3rd coaching with the same person concentrating on VW (they've been spread out over a year and a half or so). First coaching was primarily on reverse turns with a bit on natural turns; second coaching concentrated on reverse turns with some on change steps; this time we got to actually working through figures. :)

cornutt likes this.
  16. scullystwin42

last week of lessons before comp this weekend! good rhythm last night, added another for more rounds tonight. Smooth tomorrow. new routines are in good shape, and confident about them! however, very distracted by the politics situation and how it may impact my family, so i am finding it hard to focus... sigh.

17. scullystwin42

me again. rounds for rhythm went well! feeling confident for this weekend. Smooth tonight!

MaggieMoves, Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

So last night during the party, one of the other instructors pulled me into the office to tell me what I already knew/suspected... he is not coming back. I get that people move on - I've had 8 or 9 different instructors (I've lost count, lol) - I'm more frustrated by the fact that he told different stories to each of his students (when are they going to learn, we talk...) about how long/why he would be gone and did not just do a proper goodbye. Particularly what he had told me, which turned out to be misleading at best. I would have preferred to close this out properly instead of this "ghosting".

Was also not super happy about the some of the most recent lesson with the instructor who is now my only instructor... I came in expecting to work on some Showcase stuff (agreed upon at the end of the last lesson) and he completely flipped to something else, probably because the owner was there, and she was going around to people with judge critiques from the studio event we had a couple weeks ago. My point is, I don't like it when the plan changes and I'm just thrown into the new plan with no acknowledgment of this "surprise". The content of the lesson was fine, but next lesson I am definitely going to address that if we're going to deviate from the plan - which we need to mutually understand what the plan is - that needs to be explicitly agreed upon.

Oof, that was not as short and sweet as I was intending.

19. scullystwin42

Ugh, that is so frustrating! I don't understand why they don't just come clean on things like that. Why do they assume the students don't talk to each other?! it's so weird. I feel for you girl, i have been there. And i have had the unpleasant discussions with owners/instructors about last minute changes and not informing me of things. I hope it works out for you!

IndyLady likes this.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...we both still remember the routines mostly....that is about all that can be said....will save loftier goals for next week

IndyLady likes this.