Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

More choreo... instructor is going to compel me to learn something with a ton of hand changes, which I am not a fan of. Yes, it's time for me to bite that bullet, but... there are parts of this routine that have blind hand changes, which I have not had good experiences with in the past. :eek:

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Hot & cold lately is the best way to describe it. Tuesday felt divine. Tonight on the other hand? I probably should have rescheduled. After a long flight and doing about 3-4 miles worth of working on a client site today - I was beat, and he wasn't taking it easy on me.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sometimes...even when a person is too old, too big, no longer has enough time or money, may never achieve their goals, has so much further to go to be a decent dancer....they still don't quit

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Surely you don't mean yourself... hug.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

post-comp lessons this week. Didn't get video in smooth, but good feedback from pro - more shaping, still need to work on being more released and less tense in my upper body. Lots of shaping work that was intense. For rhythm, i was rather stunned by my pros reaction - it was more positive than i've ever had before! we are working on maintaining the gains i've made - being more released in my body and grounded into the floor, and good "focus" - where my gaze/body is supposed to be, and then adding better clarity to my arm styling.

6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

First lessons post competition and Pro watched video. Overall, he was pleased, but, of course, wanted some improvements in some places. We also discussed how I react to certain types of mistakes during competitions. I told him the unhelpful narrative that sometimes starts up. Him: "You don't have time to think all of that!" Me: "All the same, that is what I am thinking." The look on his face was priceless. I know from talking to others that I'm not the only one who does this at times, but I gather other students haven't fessed up. Or, it's so inconceivable to him that his brain declined to process and remember it. :rolleyes:

Cool thing is that what he wanted to work on can replace those negative thoughts when things start going poorly. He discussed where I should be thinking about placing/using/engaging my xiphoid process vs manubrium (those are different parts of the sternum), minor and major pectoral muscles, and gluteus minimus muscles. It wasn't his goal, but by the time you've checked on all of those, there really isn't space in your head for the negative monologue I sometimes engage in. ;) All in all, not easy, but as well as not leaving me time for negative, self-defeating thoughts, I think he's also going to fix some back issues I've had for eons. :)

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lesson Friday with first Pro...did a variety of dances, including AT...first pro did a lot of advanced stuff we hadn't covered much...seemed to go ok...first pro had nothing bad to say about it, which is as good as it's going to get...my observation is that AT teaches patience, along with following, if nothing else...lesson Sunday with second AT Pro...worked on AT showcase routine...it's coming along...suggested changing song to something I like better...AT Pro wants to demo the routine sometime in May...some discussion on coaching for the routine...

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

The tango freaks are going to start throwing seizures when they see the word "routine". LOL!

Purr and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Perhaps "demonstration" might be a better word choice. I am just learning AT, and while pros think I am doing well with it, I need some structure to this little event. It's a non-starter without some sort of game plan.

Song is a techno arrangement of Libertango, which is my favorite tango. Probably that would cause a hissy fit for AT enthusiasts too. Some of what's presented as AT music sounds to me like caterwauling cats or nails on chalkboard. No thanks. Libertango works for me.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Speaking of Libertango, I love the Bond version!

Purr likes this.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Lesson tonight was lots of talk about hip technique and what's sufficient vs overboard, and then a discovery that my legs actually slightly hyperextend and that's causing my leg actions to look off when I don't do it.

Then jumped deep into arms theory - much homework left there.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That's the version I want to use for the "routine" or "demonstration" or whatever you want to call it. You can hear a clip by searching Bond-Libertango(dance) on YouTube. AT pro thought it sounded techno.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  13. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Things I said/conversations that were had at my lesson last night:

Me: "I'm feeling you really pull your left arm back after we get set. Why are you doing that? Are you trying to tell me something?"
    Pro: "No, I'm just trying to make my elbow angle sharper."
    Me: "Okay, well, could you do Ň•hat before we get set? Because it's pulling me twisted."

Pro keeps asking for more and more connection (things feel fine to me). I keep increasing it... finally declaring in exasperation: "This feels horrible. I keep giving you more, but it's making me feel like I don't have any room to move because I'm glued to your side."
    Pro: "I think you're right. Go back to what you were doing before."
    I do... we dance.
    Pro: "Yeah, that's better. Ignore me."

We're tinkering with some styling in tango. I'm in a really big exaggerated shape to the left, and pro tries to change it to a different really big shape to the right quickly... and literally pulls me off my feet. I explain what I'm feeling, and propose 2 different fixes. Pro proceeds to do exactly the same thing, with more force... this time, both pulling me off my feet and tweaking my back. Then goes: "yeah, okay, you're right. That doesn't work."
    Me, rubbing my back: "You think?"

It's a rare day where pro is that off... wonder if he thinks a similar 'WTF?' when I have a paricularly bad day...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 7:11 AM
  14. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

closed rhythm for the first time in 10 months? a year? it was a lot of amusement as we both tried to remember the patterns. looking forward to smooth tonight, but my body isn't. i just took a week and a half off working out! and yet, THE SORENESS.

cornutt likes this.
  15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

You love it.