Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

lessons are going really well, fun too. frustrating but fun, if that's a thing. lots of concepts finally coming together and i'm applying them. i need to now apply them more consistently lol. thank goodness they are good because my work is fresh hell right now.

2. It's been back to basics for me for the past couple weeks, and it's been great. We're slowly revisiting basic steps/movement in each of the 10 dances. Although the focus has been on one dance at a time, there are a couple broad themes. I am not consistently getting all the way over my foot (Latin) or rolling through my foot (Standard), so my weight is not consistently where it needs to be for the next step/movement. A lot of this relates to how I hold/move my upper body. Also, and probably related, I am not finishing earlier movements consistently, especially when I change direction I cut the earlier movement off. Seeing these themes gives me a very good sense of where to focus to improve and get a pretty big "bang for my buck", if I can just do it. For each dance, we're also focusing on movements, body positions, hand positions, etc. to try to give each dance its own flavor. I find this more difficult to feel and execute consistently even than the broader themes.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...have lessons thurs but they will be the last for the foreseeable future...there are simply too many other demands in life right now, such that I don't have the time or money to invest heavily for a while....thank goodness the current pro is a real awesome human being and made it all feel less horrible

scullystwin42 likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Really sorry to hear that, Fasc. Dance has been such a big part of your life, and I imagine it feels like a loss. I have sympathy for you.

FancyFeet likes this.
  5. cornutt

Here was the theme for last night:

Instructor: "She does whatever you lead, you know."
    Partner: "Yes, I am actually following for a change!"
    Me: "Wait a minute... you mean she does stuff because I lead it?"

Sania, j_alexandra, RiseNFall and 2 others like this.
  6. fascination

thanks...I am actually okay with it because it is indisputably what my family needs right now and my family was incredibly generous about the time and expense that I put into dance over the past 13 years...my new job really demands that I put in the time and there are numerous other factors that make it the right priority right now...I am hopeful that it won't be years and years or anything...and I am very grateful to be dancing with someone whose first concern is my well being...I am hopeful that I will find a way to keep my toe in the water on occasion until things change... and I have seen this coming for quite a while....

7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny how the lessons where you don't even want to go can be the ones where you turn out your best dancing? Had one of those today... a little sore and stiff, a lot tired, hungry, overheated, and just wanting to sit down, put my feet up and have a blender-cocktail... yet got told something to the effect of: "Yes. You're dancing like a champion. That was powerful, and musical, and calm. And humble, but confident... do it again."

You guys, I might be learning to dial in that sweet spot, after years of either trying too hard or not hard enough (but TBH, mostly the former). Here's hoping I'm less tired and sore tomorrow, but dance equally as well.

Sania, singndance, Purr and 2 others like this.
  8. I am really pleased for you! That's an enormous accomplishment and some great feedback from your Pro.

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Being on break myself, I so completely feel your pain. It's not a happy thing, but sometimes it's the right call, isn't it?

10. fascination

yes...and that honestly makes it easier...it is unambiguous that now is the time...fortunately, change is inevitable so I am hopeful

Purr and scullystwin42 like this.
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My lessons were sporadic, to say the least, over the past couple of months, and I haven't had any lessons for a month or so. I don't miss the regime of 2 or 3 or more lessons and a group class or so per week. Time goes on, interests change, and after a while I wondered what is the point to this? I can hold my own very well, thank you, at a social. I don't want to compete now, and my attempts at even doing a showcase have been disastrous. Only a few dances that I didn't do well to begin with have suffered. I may pick up a group class and possibly a lesson here or there soon, or not. We'll see. I can see a point someday that I stop dancing and don't look back.

fascination likes this.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Another thing I forgot to mention, is after awhile it's amazing how quickly one's bank account balance builds up. But of course it will if one isn't spending hundreds, or thousands, of dollars per month on dancing. Everything adds up, and then it doesn't. What I spend on socials, and there aren't many that I attend, pales in comparison to the everything else.

IndyLady and scullystwin42 like this.
  13. scullystwin42

i hear that. right now, i'm ok with it, but i know that i have to cut back substantially in the next two years. College savings, yo.

Purr likes this.
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

THIS THIS THIS congrats that's MAGNIFICENT

FancyFeet likes this.
  15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Intermediate group class on American Tango Friday; class fine; I was mostly focused on doing the movements on my own; couldn't really to do it correctly with leads in class

Lesson Sunday on WCS, one of the dances that has gone downhill some; pro attempting to restructure dance; we'll see where this goes; I don't do WCS socially much because it doesn't work right; used to love WCS but now cringe when it comes up in socials

Lesson followed by AT group class; class fine; information in class really basic, but it was new for most of the students; class has to start somewhere

16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Started taking lessons with a new instructor at an independent studio (in addition to current studio). We are working on standard and Latin, which is brand new to me as my background is largely American/social. Very excited to be learning new styles. I also appreciate the physical intensity of the lessons - definitely getting my money's worth here.

17. cornutt

I think I know what you mean. A few years ago, something happened to my cha-cha and all of a sudden, nothing felt right. Took me nearly a year before it started to feel normal again. That was right before I started having trouble with my knee, and I wonder if the knee was already starting to malfunction even though I wasn't aware of it (or I was denying it) at the time.

Purr likes this.
  18. cornutt

Am partner and I decided last night that we are not going to dance in the upcoming showcase this weekend. We had cut the song short trying to get something together, but we still were just barely getting through it. There is a specific reason why we want to be able to dance the whole song, though. So we made the decision last night to skip this showcase. Having done that, we went back on to the original plan; we ditched the ending we had developed for the shortened version, and picked back up with the original choreo where we left off. We worked on getting to an interesting pose where I have my right hand on her right shoulder as I'm sort of leaning back with my back to her; from there, I lead her to a ronde and then walk her around a pirouette.

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Basically, it boils down to being told too many times I do "ballroom WCS". Pro taught me one way, and it's not what the WCS community does socially. Pro and I are working on it, but I'm not sure it's a fixable problem. It's really hard to break entrenched habits. I can make the jump between AT and ballroom tango, but WCS is a different story entirely.

3wishes likes this.
  20. scullystwin42

only one lesson last week due to needing to be home to take care of my husband (on crutches from stress fracture) and getting back into the swing of things this week. got a lot of practice last week, but i'm a little stuck at rhythm. think i'm at a plateau. i'm trying to be aware of it and not let it frustrate me but the work situation is EXTRA STRESSFUL and it's spilling over to dancing. If i can just get through this week at work maybe it will get better.