Ballroom Dance > how are your lessons going? thread II

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Dec 20, 2007.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Coaching went really well. Surprisingly, now to get my stamina back.

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hey Purr, I know what you mean about WCS, pro in my lesson wanted to mix it up and do some WCS, I didn't share or I forgot to share that WCS was my original learning format and I still dance it and attend their scheduled events, and as soon as he rolled me out I stopped and said no let's not. Letting him know (although it's really not his fault) that he is doing ballroom WCS and it simply is not how I dance it in the WCS community. So, that day, he learned something from me....and then we continued with American smooth instead. Lol.

j_alexandra, RiseNFall and Purr like this.
  3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The WCS community is big here, and there's a lot of events. I just don't feel comfortable going to any of them.

We'll see where the lessons with pro go. Maybe coaching would help, or lessons with a WCS teacher. Group classes generally aren't that helpful, at least for me.

Or maybe I'd rather do AT.

4. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Amazing how the financial situation changes isn't it? I took a break (privates & competition) a year ago and I am not sure if/when I will go back. I enjoy so many other things right now. Yes, I felt a true loss at times, and still do, but I just can't justify the expense and time right now. Who knows what the future will bring.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Hmm. I learned WCS in the studio, but I've been out to WCS clubs and I never got accused of being "ballroomy". (On the other hand, our coach has accused my WCS of being "clubby"... :eek:) Sounds like the WCS scene where you are is rather insular. I don't think I would give a lot of dances to someone who feels like they can criticize my dancing just because I'm not in their clique.

Sania likes this.
  6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Cornutt, there's a Ballroom version of WCS that is so far from what the WCS community dances that it's just not compatible--the WCS community CAN be snobby, but that isn't necessarily what happened with Purr. I'm fortunate in that the ballroom teachers at the studio I dance at are ambidextrous with their WCS.

j_alexandra likes this.
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Second lesson for retooling of WCS...pro reworked the basic...practices some figures...and danced to tempo...pro seemed pleased...I think his idea of the retooled basic is a little pedestrian...but I'm willing to go along with it...at the end of this I'm probably going to add my own thing anyway...an example, he says no tap step for now...high likelihood a few tap steps will sneak their way in eventually; it's hard to break old habits...I was also taught a compression step years ago that might sneak it's way in...pro is also working to ensure there's a definite hook in the connection...haven't really observed this with follows in the WCS community...but what do I know???

Also did AT...pro says I'm over rotating my ochos. :eek: :(:oops:

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up.

9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

My samba needs work. I sometimes accent the wrong beats, don't use my ribcage enough, and have a tendency to not straighten my legs all the way. Much conversation about where to place my body weight and how to create the time for me to straighten my long legs... upper (action) and lower (balance) centres was the idea that made it click. I like to use one or the other apparently, and am seriously bad at employing both to complete a movement... which is why it often looks like I don't finish or am blocking myself. I now understand the concept, but am only able to apply it ~20% of the time at speed. I sense much repetition in my future.

In standard, it's been rounds. Comp is in less than 2 weeks. They're going not terribly, given the stage of prep we're in. Still burning a little too much energy in VW, making the 5 feel harder than it needs to, and have a tendency to straighten my legs at a couple points in TG and QS... but these things feel fixable.

10. New samba routine - I love the look and feel of it but it seems so hard! I swear there are only 2 steps in the entire routine that I've done before. It looks like lots of practice in my future.