Ballroom Dance > How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Worked on my head position from a Leader's perspective in the Half Natural; and worked on maintaining consistent foot pressure throughout New Yorkers first in my flat shoes and then in heels. Ran though the choreography of the showcase routine. Every mirror in the studio where I practice was covered in jungle-themed junk so I couldn't get any visuals as how it looked.

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Ordered more shoes today, and included this issue - just as a simple "I thought you may want to know". They've agreed to pass it on.

stash likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Awesome, I definitely will! I'm pretty sure I've read good things in one or more of the collegiate ballroom FB groups about your DJ'ing, I'm excited to hear what you're (metaphorically) spinnin'!

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

having trouble with motivation and with remembering and putting new info in...it's disturbing

5. FancyFeet

Ugh. Horrible practice last night. Tired, feeling off, in a weird thinky-place for no reason, and didn't get much constructive work done. Reviewed corrections from last couple of lessons in W and FT, then went home to lounge on the couch with the cat and go to bed early.

6. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

lounging with cats can mitigate many of life's problems. :)

dancelvr, stash, fascination and 2 others like this.
  7. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

It happens. Sometimes Paso does that do me. It feels like you're fighting each other the whole time for maybe 2-3 good run throughs.

Kitties do make everything better. I had a long practice last night and cuddled with my puppy after. :)

FancyFeet likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

Took the day off today and went to the movies. Hopefully, a break is all I needed.

9. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

At last night's practice, one mirror had been cleared of junk, so that was good. But there was only one teacher at the studio last night and she was (supposedly) giving a dance lesson to her boyfriend, and they were starting to get hot and heavy with other kinds of moves. I think they were hoping that I'd get too uncomfortable to stay very long. Too bad for them - I pay a floor fee and I was there to practice.
    I worked on all my standard and latin bronze dances as a leader, paying attention to head position and keeping my left side lifted. Then I ran through my American Waltz, Tango and Foxtrot figures as a leader. Then switched to the showcase routine, and the transitions.

RiseNFall likes this.
  10. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

huh, that's pretty unprofessional of her if that's what she was trying to do o_O

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

run through of all the smooth

12. Kelly Long

Kelly Long Member

Well i need some partner advice. My partner recently started dancing and wanting to compete with his girlfriend (in addition to me.) I am a much more advanced dancer than both of them, but I live in Virginia Beach where the high level male amateur pool is tiny, if not non-existent. We devoted to do two comps this late summer/fall, and now he is planning on competing with both of us. We will dance championship standard level and they will dance novice/mixed proficiency. I have been a competitive dancer my whole life and I know that each partner must be willing to put in 100 percent, which I am not getting even half that from him. Should I walk away and look for other options, or could this ever work? Im feeling let down. :(

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I don't see his competing with his girlfriend as well an issue in and of itself. Is he spending as much time practicing with you as you would like?

14. Kelly Long

Kelly Long Member

Oh yes I don't have an issue with them dancing together, just he doesn't make much time for us to practice and then schedules us back to back. I move my schedule around a lot to accommodate him, and I just wonder if its better for me to bow out since they are dating, or stand my ground and tell him my expectations?

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Taking a page from Fascination's always excellent suggestions, what do you need for this to work for you? How much practice on average per week? What scheduling exceptions? Let him know what you think it will take for the partnership to reach its goals/be viable, and if he cannot commit to that, yeah, you should probably exit. Unless having somebody to practice with is worth it. Perhaps you can downgrade to "practice partners" and try to find somebody else to compete with... not that that is easy!

Dancing Irishman and stash like this.
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ugh navigated 2 group classes of kids was not fun. One was also suppose to end within a few minutes of us getting there, but then continued on for 30-40minutes after we started practicing. Also I feel the most stiff than I have coming out of a practice yet.

Though broke out the new shoes. So comfy, much love. My foot didn't end up cramping until the very end instead of during the middle.

17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

All the junk was off the mirrors at the practice studio - hurray! Worked through all my Standard dances as a bronze leader, then I tried running a round of Latin dances as a bronze leader. First three dances were OK, things started getting a bit scratchy in Paso with the Promenade to Counter Promenade but I got through, and Jive - well, I did all the figures but I was glad that I didn't have to try follow my own lead.

stash likes this.
  18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I probably should have skipped practice last night. My back was still sore, so I started gently working on my bronze leader stuff. I got through working on early rise in turns in foxtrot and worked on a corner in waltz that has been causing trouble. But then I switched to rumba as bronze leader and the first settling action I did aggravated the back pain and I couldn't move, so I had to cut practice short.

19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Latin and west coast have always aggravated my back more than standard.

20. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

Since lessons were off this week due to pro at blackpool I have been practising at home in my tiny hallway so can't do too much. I have mainly been working stamina so doing solid jive basics for a min then going straight to a cha cha drill then doing another jive making sure my arms keep going. I can do 90 seconds ok now but im noticing posture improving which hopefully will get better so I recalled next comp

raindance likes this.