Ballroom Dance > How are your practices going?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by latingal, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Been carrying on the theme of "quit muscling through things in your muscle memory" and I've been really impressed with what I'm seeing in occasional glances at the mirror!!!

I've realized I don't really need effort to have proper leg / foot / hip coordination in Rumba, so I can calm down with that and focus my energy on further hollowing out my core and using my back and arms in coordination with my walks. Very excited to keep this thread going.

Samba's a similar story with whisks, the hips down are automatic minus a leg detail im adding for styling, so I just need energy on that and the rest can go into my core, back, and arms.

Did get annoyed with myself running a solo round yesterday - the floor in the studio is super slick (still new ish, needs to break in more to be really good for dancing) and it was a brutal adjustment from a very sticky floor in Houston all weekend. There was some sweating under my breath as I struggled to keep balance in sections (but it was a good reminder that step size was getting a bit too big).

RiseNFall likes this.
  2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

3 hours' practise yesterday and another 2.5 today.

I hope this pays off...seeing as we spent an hour working on throwaway oversway and came out with "there was one good one in there but it still feels like garbage and we can't recreate the good one"

Still...very productive and very fun.

Purr, middy, Sania and 1 other person like this.
  3. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Still haven't found that line between my responsibility to keep our connection in our common center WHILE giving him my weight AND being engaged BUT not stiffening my shoulder/elbow SO that he can lead me.

For me, I think this is my windmill, my center of the Tootsie Roll Pop. LOL! (cries)

Lioness, nikkitta and Ricardo_Duarte like this.
  4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

@s2k, that's one of the things that I get very frustrated with myself about at times. :) Holy grail of partner dancing. In my calmer moments, I can recognize that it is getting better....

5. OreganO

OreganO Member

I had a blast prepping with my practice partner for Latin and rhythm for a comp this past weekend. Since last September, I've really been focusing on standard and the pressure has definitely taken some of the joy out of dancing it. This was a nice break from all of that, though admittedly I could have been very happy without the Latin component :p

That said, I've been enjoying applying all of the things from lessons in standard practice! Talk about instant gratification. I now want to focus on the most basic of figures; they've gotten much more fascinating, which has been a great change after hitting a plateau for a while. Now to get my partner to feel it too...

FancyFeet likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I spent about an hour yesterday working on a change step and chasse. Basics are cool :cool:

7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Worked on rumba and cha cha yesterday. I was having an off day and was off-balance all over the place, but it was fortunately still productive. Working on re-establishing our connection, both visually and between our hands, throughout the routines. Also switched to jazz shoes halfway through because I suspect dancing in heels for extended periods of time aggravates my lower back, and switching from normal heels to flats is very weird.

Working on not taking my foot off the floor for this pseudo-lift thing in rumba, but keeping my foot on the floor is also kinda painful.

8. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

Been working on leading with lots of different people as my partner was not present. The big thing to practice though is keeping frame more and not under rotating natural spin turns so I end up going the wrong way. Luckily if I do umder rotate I have found a way to get myself out of trouble. More practice on Friday and Saturday before my first university comp on Sunday

RiseNFall likes this.
  9. FancyFeet

Yesterday's practice was all about working on last week's lesson "aha" moment - while working on QS - that I've been over-outsiding my OP position.

Most of my routines are chock full of position changes, and holy, it makes a difference! I have a long wall in FT where I dance feather, bounce fallaway, a few pivots, a lunge/drop thing, an outside spin, and a running curved feather into a ronde... I've struggled to hit the lunge/drop thing perfectly since I got this choreo, which makes the outside spin massively difficult, because I'm already off balance. Fix the OP position in bounce fallaway, and magically, it works. Easily. Gaaah. So much effort trying to fix the problem on areas where the problem totally wasn't occurring, because it never occurred to us that the issue could be that far back in the wall, or on something so simple :mad:

Now just to repeat it seven million more times so it becomes automatic.

10. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I realized the other day that sometimes my practice face has a slack-jawed trance-induced look to it, so I've added "reasonable facial expression" to my practice list. :hilarious:

Sania and raindance like this.
  11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

practices have been few and far between due to holidays and work, but got moving yesterday! worked on my turns and spins. got a little too tense in my shoulders, so need to increase those exercises again. will be lots of practice through this week and next, as one of my pros is on well-earned vacation and the other's wife is having a baby. LITERALLY RIGHT NOW HOW EXCITING! so i'm thinking going back and focusing on drills and little things, instead of routines.

Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  12. FancyFeet

First practice of the year is in the books... fingers crossed that it was not indicative of how the year is going to go!

theAnnelis likes this.
  13. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Last practice of the year was pretty good.

Partner is someone who only just started dancing, but is making amazing progress.

14. scullystwin42

practices have focused on drills and details recently, but last night it was all about practicing my new mambo. and some closed smooth for the first time in like....6 months. more mambo practice, then learning the new cha cha coming up!

RiseNFall likes this.
  15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

First practice of the new year was a success - new format and new focus combined to feel quite productive. Here's hoping they all continue this way!

Sania likes this.
  16. FancyFeet

Thanks to chiro jamming their fingers in my in-complete-spasm right subscapularis in the morning to try and get it to release, Saturday practice was lighter than normal this close to comp... but at least I was mostly mobile and there was a practice... because that was in doubt when I woke up. Spend some time working on foot pressure and dynamics in, because that didn't hurt.

Still sore on Sunday morning, but put in a full practice. VW is improving, and there's hope that it may be in decent shape for comp. Rounds (my usual practice-finisher on Sunday) were not a complete disaster - though I only ran two, instead of the planned three. I was feeling that same muscle start to clench near the end of the second, so thought it better to get home to a heating pad instead of completely incapacitating myself.

17. scullystwin42

actually got some decent practice in this weekend. did vw and ft in smooth, cha cha focus with a walk through of the other rhythm routines. Mainly paying attention to spots/focus on turns and through routines, so that my gaze/head is not wandering, but instead looking somewhere specific.