Ballroom Dance > How big as a ballroom floor?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by liangjz, Feb 11, 2006.

1. liangjz

liangjz New Member

I've been trying to explain to some of my non-ballroom friends just how much ballroom dancers move when I realized I don't actually know how big the floors actually are.

I think the biggest competition floor I've been on is the one at OSB used for the championship dancers(I got on with the masses after it ended). How big is that floor?

Are there bigger ones? Is there a standard size?

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Blackpool is definitely (infinitely? ;) ) bigger.

3. liangjz

liangjz New Member

That's why I think it's even more amazing that the dancers fly across and fill the floor as it if were a tiny little thing. I wonder if I could google for some numbers...

4. saludas

saludas New Member

Competitive floors are usually 40x80....

5. Here is the rule from the NDCA Rule Book

21. Floors for Competitions must be a minimum of 60 feet long and a minimum of 36 feet wide, or 2,160 square feet. Floors for Championship events must be a minimum of 66 feet long and a minimum of 42 feet wide.

6. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

Oh, how I wish I got to compete on floors like that! But I'll happily stick with my collegiate (read: under $50) competitions, even if it means putting up with a tiny segmented (temporary) floor at BU once a year, and having to glue my shoes back together afterwards.

I remember a pretty good discussion about recommended floor size in caityrosey's thread on how to run a competition, along with with minimum respectible size and normal sizes.