Swing Discussion Boards > How do you call learning both roles at the same time ?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Nicolas Vives, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Nicolas Vives

Nicolas Vives New Member

Hello there, I'm a dancer from Paris. I'm very interested in the idea of Lindy (and everything) classes where you get to learn both roles, leading and following, at the same time. I've been looking for a way to name it.
    A school here in Paris has started it and calls it ELF, for "Equality Lead and Follow". They say they got the term from elsewhere. But I'm having trouble tracking the term down, and I don't really like it, I find it a bit too complicated for its purpose.
    So, do you know such a term, and if so, where did you get it from ? Sources would be really appreciated. Places where it is used, references to classes using this principle, also.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day :)

Nicolas

2. ralf

ralf Active Member

The terms to search for are "ambidancing" and "ambidancetrous". It's by analogy to "ambidextrous".

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

smart-switch

role-rolling

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. opendoor

Another idea: Rolling Role

by the way, welcome to DF, Nicolas!

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Have to admit I never realized there was a word for that.

6. Nicolas Vives

Nicolas Vives New Member

Yeah, I was thinking about "omni-", "poly-", "duo-", "full". "Ambi-" seems like the best of them. Thanks.

Thanks. There's a little nuance between "swapping" (having people dance the role they're not "meant" to), which is not what I'm looking for ; and "learning/dancing both roles indistinctly". Rolling sounds like swapping to me, but maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a native english speaker.

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Your " English " , is more than adequate.

opendoor likes this.
  8. opendoor

Seems that you are more snsibilized on this than I am. Just like the immediate switching of roles on the floor, it's fun.

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

My teacher calls it being "bi-danceual". During class she has to stop occasionally to remember whether she's leading or following and tells us, "It's not easy being bi-danceual."

Of course teachers need to know both lead and follow. At one Lindy camp two male instructors started dancing with each other and they kept switching roles in the middle of the dance. Fascinating to watch.

And I heard that traditionally Argentine Tango leaders start off learning to follow and then years later they learn to lead -- they also start learning at a much younger age.