Ballroom Dance > How do you select your competitions ?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Jun 1, 2017.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

There are so many competitions now, what factors go into your decision making regarding which ones to go to?

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I prefer to go to competitions where I have cause to believe there will be a large field in my division and a high quality of dancers overall. It's not just so that I have competition, it's also because I seem to imbibe something from the environment and watching the really good dancers. I also take cost into consideration. (My dance budget is tight enough that if I didn't, I would have to do fewer competitions.) So, other students going matters, drivable helps, etc. I'm fortunate that where I live I have a lot of good competitions within very reasonable driving distance. I also usually prefer to spread my competitions out. Once I did two competitions close enough together than one could be considered a warm up for the other one, and I would probably do more of that if it were in my budget.

debmc likes this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've been dividing them up....combining small- medium sized competitions with bigger ones.
    I also like ones that are in interesting cities/ locations so that I can add some vacation days.

4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

unfortunately, mostly money. sigh.

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Main factor is USAD (am-am) or NDCA (pro-am), then location, then probable level of competition, then cost. Sort of apples and oranges, but without a regular am partner, I takes whats I gets.

With the current USAD controversy, it might become NDCA no matter what - with pro or am.

debmc likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

prior to getting my current job, considerations were: pro's availability willingness to go, quality of competitive field (far more important to me than size of field), venue, cost...

currently: cost, proximity, and whether or not it can be fit into my work schedule

3wishes, scullystwin42 and debmc like this.
  7. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I select my competitions exactly the same way, but I'm fortunate enough to have a regular AM partner. Unfortunately he doesn't want to regularly compete and is more into showcases and show dances. I take what I can get so I do those with him.

Borazine likes this.
  8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I think it's simpler on the am-am side, because there aren't as many choices (at least in syllabus) and prices don't vary as much; differences are mostly about travel costs. Still basically the same criteria, though: 1) location (and therefore cost: prioritize drivable; if flying, more likely if near-ish family/friends), 2) size & quality of field (which in our case have seemed to go together: USAD NQEs, plus one little local one where location and obligation win out), 3) schedule (spread relatively evenly thorough the year, avoiding impossible work times).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Schedule (both when it is in the year, and when my events are scheduled), distance, multi-options, number of singles required, size and strength of field, number of pro's students attending (there's a sweet spot of enough to keep costs down, but not so much he's exhausted), prizes offered

I have a spreadsheet (<< nerd) where the categories get rated from 0-5, then there is a weighted total score, placing more importance on the ones that matter more to me.

Factors that I also consider, but haven't figured out how to integrate into the sheet: have I or pro had a favourable (or terrible) previous experience, and does the comp do one of the couple of things that are serious pet-peeves. I finally decided that these actually influence whether or not the competitions even get considered ;)

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What are the pet peeves?

11. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

What are the serious pet peeves? :)

12. FancyFeet

The big ones:
    • Split floors.
    • Putting pre-requisite singles in the day session and scholarship in the evening, and not offering a bundled entry for the 2 sessions.
    • Generally taking actions to make it clear am-am is where it's at, and that you only offer pro-am to gather the cash to pay for your competition. (I equate requiring 2 sets of singles with this, and comps that do get dinged heavily in my personal selection ratings.)
    Stuff I also dislike but are not dealbreakers:
    • Scheduling me on syllabus kids day, with the seven million hyper children and their stage parents. (I tend to find pre-champ +, junior and up are ok.)
    • Not allowing private video.

(I may have some opinions on things.)

Sania, debmc and flying_backwards like this.
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Does anyone factor in the judging panel when deciding on a competition?

nessundorma likes this.
  14. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I have considered it, but mostly not anymore.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not so much anymore...but, because it used to cost me a fortune to compete and there were a considerable number of predictable outcomes, I won't say it didn't come into play if I was on the bubble about doing one....

16. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Yes.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I find that interesting. Maybe Canadian pro/am comps are different.

Loki likes this.
  18. FancyFeet

From US ones? They totally are.

(Plus, I'm an extremely reluctant pro-ammer, so my opinions do not necessarily reflect the majority.)

Bailamosdance likes this.
  19. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

I agree with almost all your points/pet peeves. Cdn if that makes a difference.

20. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

At this point for me scheduling makes a difference in selecting a comp. I don't want to come back for a scholarship. Had my scholarship on a different day at the last comp. going to pay more attention going forward. Judging panel makes some difference. And I most certainly don't want to do most of my single dances uncontested.
    This is on top of the usual concerns of accessibility, work schedule etc