General Dance Discussion > How many hours do you practice on your own?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by VronskyWasSoVain, Nov 30, 2017.

1. So this doesn't include time spent at lessons or with your dance partner practicing or at social dance events.

This is just you practicing on your own either at home or at the studio or wherever you practice outside of your home.

Just wondering because as I'm progressing in dance, I find its the little subtle movements that make things look GOOD. And a lot of these movements are not really related to the partner you're dancing with. They're more like things you can work on your own time.

How many hours is "normal"? Are we always dancing around when you're at home?

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Zero.

3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Phew, thanks for setting the bar where I can reach it.

I believe there are a number of posters here who practice hours a week. I'm not one of those people. I try to practice a few times a week at home for 15-20 minutes, and I usually practice/warm-up before a lesson, but that's it. I simply don't have time for any more than that - and sorry not sorry if that sounds like an excuse, I am literally at capacity with little to no wiggle room and about the same for energy when it's all done.

Although the OP excluded it as an option, the vast majority of my "practice" has indeed been at practice parties/socials, the value of which I think is highly under-rated and inadequately appreciated. I attend 1-2 of those per week.

4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

And here's where I admit my lack of a social life:

Around 3-5 hours for me. Granted, usually what I do is about 30 minutes of warm up before my dance partner comes around just to get myself ready & moving. Then I'll do some exercises on my own in front of a mirror. The overall time adds up to be a max of about 5 hours. My partner and I practice for about 10 hours so to me it seems insignficant.

I meet with my pro for about a total of 2-3 hours a week - if that's a point of reference.

5. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

OP, try the acknowledged-to-not-be-great search function and you should find several threads where people break down not only how much they practice, but how they structure the practice. And other things they do to support their dancing.

I have discovered over the years that when there's an action that I'm trying to get into my body, even practicing it for 10 minutes a day makes a big difference. Yesterday, I practiced for over an hour, so my answer is that it's extremely variable.