Ballroom Dance > How your feeling in Tango?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancelover2012, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Counting 1234 or QQS make you feel good in Tango?

2. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Without digressing into several paragraphs about proper tango technique, I prefer to count "quicks, slows, and 'ands'" at least for International and American tango.

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Depends on the figure and the music. When I do have to count (I don't like to), I switch back and forth. Whatever works - and it's done in your head anyway :)

My preferred way of "counting": baaa-da-ba-buh-bah, baaaa, baaa, bah and bah

4. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Depends... If I'm working on small sections I'm likely to use slows and quicks, or yit-tut-tahs, if I'm working on choreography I'm likely to use an 8 count. What method I use doesn't matter too much, but intonation and emphasis does, so I know where my accent, commas and periods are.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Similar: it depends on what I'm working on. But I generally only count during lessons or practice. On the social floor, the only time I count (not out loud!) is when I'm executing a figure that I haven't learned very well yet.

6. open_mind

open_mind Member

I don't really understand why, but my instructor insists I count QQS in Tango, but 1234 in Foxtrot. I need to ask him again, but any thoughts on that?

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Simply this ; FT is more of a "blended " rhythm, whereas tango's bars are more defined, with somewhat of a pause .

This is what Scrivener would count in a basic; step catch , step catch ,step step .

For those of you who do not know who Scrivener is; He and partner Nelly ,are the ones largely responsible , for how Tango should be approached, rhythmically .

cornutt likes this.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

He might be noticing that you move differently depending on how you are counting. (I know that I do this.)