Ballroom Dance > IDS vs. Ray Rose vs. Aida Latin Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by azntwice, Aug 5, 2015.

1. classydancer

classydancer New Member

Thanks so much!! Ilia has a nice setup going, doesn't he? Lol. Latin AND Standard! I'll get in touch.

scullystwin42 and Miss Silly like this.
  2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

@classydancer Yes I did buy from Ilia and i've always had great transactions. I've switched now to Amanda at Crystal Clover Canada, because it is easier to buy within canada (i'm in canada ;-p) and both Amanda and Ilia can get in anything... and if they're at a comp as vendors they likely have most of the styles to try on.

classydancer and scullystwin42 like this.
  3. classydancer

classydancer New Member

Miss Silly, what are your thoughts on Aida Standard shoes now? Do you still prefer them over others and is there a style you like more? I was wanting to try a shoe with a strap, but if they fall off, I'm wondering if it's better to go without... Something like Katerina.

4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I like their standard shoe a lot, but not as much as how i love their latin shoe and won't wear anything else (hope that makes sense LOL!).

The toe area (rounded toe) fits a LOT like the Ray Rose brand. Actually the only reason why i ventured away from the RR initially was because i swear they changed the arch, and the arch kept feeling like it was pushing into my heel. From there I went to supadance (i can't rememeber the model but it's pretty much the Honda Civic of their line). Then i tried the Aida. I really like them and I do wear the one with the strap. My really old shoes do feel like they've stretched quite a bit and they'd probably fall off if they didn't have the strap.

As well, i'd like to point out that there will be a difference if you chose a slim heel or a flared heel. They actually will feel different since their placement is slightly different. A flare heel is further back on the shoe (towards the back heel). The slim heel is further up the shoe, towards the arch. I think there's a pic on this thread somewhere where i compared them. I have standard shoes in both versions and i *hate* the flared heel... but this is totally my preference (i have no idea what possessed me to try a flared heel when i know i don't typically like them).

I just looked at the Katerina and that elastic part will definitely help keep them on... but I suppose it comes down to a preference and foot shape? I prefer the look of no-straps but after my shoes have fallen off before i was like, screw-it. LOL

classydancer likes this.
  5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Bumping this so I don't start a whole new thread! I have a comp this Friday, and due to much drama, i do not have the shoes I expected to have. And my Aida's and my backup Ray Rose's each have the dreaded worn spot on the inside heel. Is there a way to hide that for comp on my Aida Karina's? I know some judges don't mind, but some do, and it's a bit tacky looking. i did some searches but couldn't find what i was looking for - if someone knows a thread on it, lemme know.

I love my Aida's, but have been going back and forth to get the proper fit when ordering online. I did talk to Ilia, and he did tell me what I'd purchased in person at Ohio 2106 ....except I don't think his records were right because I ordered the exact same shoe and they FINALLY came after a month, just in time for Wisconsin and...they don't fit my toes. I think i had gotten a double wide instead of a wide, and it wasn't recorded. Customer service has been great, but i'm in a bit of a lurch, since comp is this weekend, and the exchange order will be a while.

SIGH!!!

6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Burning off loose threads and applying a matching coloured fabric marker should get you through comp. It won't be perfect, but it will make the bald spot harder to see.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  7. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Go to an art supply store and purchase prismacolor markers - artists and architects use them to do renderings and they come in a range of subtle tones especially the ochers and siennas and pale tans and sand that match shoes very well

A marker should cost about three dollars

Take your shoes with you so you can look at the colors

scullystwin42 and j_alexandra like this.
  8. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Sania's advice is the best advice - me, in a pinch, I took a sponge and used my foundation. Had I had the time, I would have color matched at an art store.

(Sidebar: That's yet another reason I stopped with Aida - Russia is too dang far away. Once, an exchange took three months. NOPE!)

9. scullystwin42

Thanks all for the help! i will try to get to an art store if i can - foundation is a great backup! slammed week this week since my husband is out of town.

10. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

11. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Red soles are nice in theory... but in practice they turn black pretty quickly :D Unless you're always dancing on a pristine surface, which most ballrooms are not...

MaggieMoves and j_alexandra like this.
  12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

They're good enough for a single performance, and that's probably about it.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wannabe ballroom Louboutins?

14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Basically, yes. (extra points to you for recognizing that.)

Sania likes this.
  15. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

I've seen some standard ladies dancing with red soles in the past couple of years, but a red sole paired with a flesh coloured shoe doesn't look great, in my opinion... especially from far away, it looks like you may have had a painful mishap on the dancefloor :pain:

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Heels way too short! :D

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

My First Louboutins had 2" heels. They exist.

Sania likes this.
  18. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

BLASPHEMY!

Just kidding. They have sneakers and flats too.

But I digress. I've been wanting Aidas with some form of tricked-out soles for a very long time, but my pro won't let me buy any more shoes :rofl:

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. scullystwin42

hey all, thanks for the advice on the shoes. I ended up using a new pair of Ray Rose's that I had shipped from Vedance - super quickly - that i barely got on (omg my feet hurt so much) since the foundation fix was a little terrible looking. I will spare everyone the details of the shoe drama, but it boils down to that my feet have gotten wider since last november, when I bought my Aida karina's at Ohio. My usual size in Ray Rose Kalahari no longer fits either. I'm not sure if it's the tailor's bunions that have gotten bigger, or just my feet have gotten wider, but it's making me crazy! i'm going to have to change to a shoe with an adjustable vamp, because literally NOTHING IS FITTING. not even double-wide Karina's. I'm so frustrated thinking about all the wasted money i've spent over the last month trying to figure this out. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

20. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Try extrawide internationals – I normally wear a wide shoe and had to go to a regular international – they make regular, wide, and extra wide. If you order from their website in England it will cost about $100 and the shoes will come in about a week. They have great customer service and will answer questions by email. The only downside is if you do have to return it will cost about $40 in shipping – but you're still way ahead of the game. I recommend the Flavia with the IDS heel as the closest replacement for the Kalahari