Ballroom Dance > IDS vs. Ray Rose vs. Aida Latin Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by azntwice, Aug 5, 2015.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I will check them out. I didn't realize that IDS had a similar heel placement as RR/Aida.

2. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

@Miss Silly hi :) how are you. I was back here researching again, hoping by now there might be some new brand of shoe that offers wide and extra wide that I could try. I love my Aida Karina's - but like many of you do find that the satin on the heel cup and the strap by the ankles do wear out fast. I feel like they definitely wear out faster than the Supadance. But I really love how they look, the square toe, and the heel placement - so I will continue to wear them. I am considering doing what some of you say you did - either get the one with the suede heel cup or a pair in black. But, at $200 a pair...:/

Wanted to ask you what you meant by the above - are you saying that going down just a half size in the Karinas made the shoe feel tighter/narrower, even though you kept the same width.

3. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

@scullystwin42 did you know that the Karina's also come in triple wide.

4. scullystwin42

I do, but i'm not sure i want to special order again. it's been a lot of back and forth with Aida and the Ray rose vendor and costs for restocking. i may switch to a different style in Aida at this point. wish they were vending a little closer to me.

5. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

I hear you. I feel the same way.

Not to mention it takes like a month or more to get the shoes.

I wish Supadance would offer true extra wide options (not just make the straps bigger - which is also what IDS does.)

6. scullystwin42

This thread reminded me! I am selling two pairs of Aida Karina's. just posted in the ads.

7. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

I didn't realize there were ads here. I have a pair of 3" Supadance latin shoes I want to sell.

8. scullystwin42

I am not a fan of supadance at all. But I may try the IDS shoes - earlier in the thread, it's mentioned their heel placement is similar to aida and RR. i am currently wearing the one pair of karina's that do fit me INTO THE GROUND. I do love them, but these are the ones i've been wearing since november last year - and my feet changed drastically over the last 8 months, and that pair changed with it. sigh. I HAD MY PERFECT SHOES I WAS HAPPY AND NOW ITS BACK TO THE BEGINNING AGAIN

9. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

I cannot wear the IDS at all because of how they make their straps.

I tried 2 different models - both have the straps by the toe close to the edge of the shoe - so that less toes show (in my case this meant my toes were really scrunched). The opening of the bands is narrow. So even if the shoes were wide, there is just not enough room in the toe box for me. I like (need) a design were the opening is larger so that more toes are free.

I love the Karinas too. But for all the reasons I mention I still keep looking. But I do love them.

(I haven't worn my Supadance since I've had the Karinas. I wonder how I would feel about the Supadance heel placement now. It's very possible it would no longer suit me since I find the Karinas so perfect. I think what I meant with Supadance more than anything is their durability, availability, and price.)

10. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

This is like the most helpful thing I've ever seen it needed to be reawakened.

Thank you @Miss Silly

11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct. I use some shoe stretchers to help pre-strech them... saves my feet a little. But I do like the shorter shoe. It helps with the look of the foot (accentuating the arch) and i like the 'compact' feeling and less shoe sticking past the toes when you point. My toes don't spill over the front, but very close (i've seen some people have a lot of toe-spillage LOL).

12. Miss Silly

I finally have a paoul standard shoe, and i was going to do a comparison between aida, paoul and supadance since i happen to have all three.

13. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

I definitely like my shoes short. I have long toes (gross I know) so mine definitely spill a lot over the front I feel the tips of my toes on the floor if I want to. :p I'm sure people are grossed out by it LOL but I try to not think about it. :D

14. GinaN

GinaN Active Member

I don't dance standard but still, that would be super awesome. :)

Plus I am really interested to hear about what you think about the Paoul brand I know @j_alexandra (I think it was her) really likes their latin shoes (or was it standard? can't remember. All I know is it brought my attention to that brand, which I had never heard of before). I wanted to try their latin shoes but none of them come with the strap that you can tie underneath your arch they are all a single strand around the ankle (or at least the styles I was interested in.) That would not be a good look for my "generous" legs :D plus I wouldn't feel like my foot was secure.

You inspired me so much by your comparison picture post that I plan on doing the same (I have 2 Supadance 1403 shoes - one wide, one regular, and the Aida Karinas). Been meaning to do it the last couple of days but haven't had a chance.

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Standard.

16. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

Hi there, I am trying to ŕead up on the diffeŕent latin shoes. Just went to practice with my daughter and realised that her shoes have a split sole giving a much better arch to foot. Is that something you have to order specially or do some brands just come like that? My daughter didn't know as someone gave her the shoes

17. Miss Silly

I think most brands of latin shoes have a supported shank and then flexible under the toes and the ball of the foot.

Random shoe photo:
    [​IMG]

So, from the heel down to about where you see the word "sole" is stiff. Then the rest to the toe is softer.

Once i had some sort of budget pair that had either a really weak shank or just completely flexible and it was utterly aweful. No foot support whatsovever. And the heel would want to sort of slide out backwards.... in fact it was borderline dangerous.

I don't mind split soles when it comes to practice shoes, but definitely not my latin heels. The Aida and Ray Rose latin shoes i've had in the past all had stiff shanks, as well as the supadance and International that I tried (but returned - didn't fit my feet). I don't think you can order a 'shankless' latin sandal.... at least i've never seen this.

But again - practice shoes... no probs if it's a split sole.

18. datitmarsh

datitmarsh Member

OK thanks for that explanation. Mine are at the budget end of things, so I was looking at which ones to try for a better pair. Mine seem to be pretty stiff, not very flexible at all. What have you found as to flexibility but still with good support?

19. Miss Silly

Honestly, it's tough with shoes because people's feet shapes vary so much, that everyone tends to experiment until they find something that works for their feet and their preferences. And, their budget. LOL. Unfortunately sometimes this means wearing a shoe well past the point of returning it to discover that you don't like it (been there!!). I tried many shoes, before I settled on what I normally wear... and it's hard not to look back and lament over the wasted $. But, now i really know what i like. LOL.

If you can try on shoes (even if they're your friends' shoes LOL... if they dont' mind ;-P) do it. At vendors at comp if possible or if you happen to live near somewhere that sells shoes.

I remember i used ot wear ray rose and one day they changed their latin shoes to "ultra flex" and i felt SO unstable. I got used ot it, but I also had to work on actual foot stregth (just youtube a bunch of ballet videos - tons out there) and then I dind't mind the shoe so much.

Another thing that affects stability is the heel placement. This is another area that personal preference really comes into play. But even the difference between flare heel and slim heel (on the same model shoe) can change the way it pitches your weight. On top of that, every brand will feel slightly different. As well as every height. LOL.

SO anyway, to answer your question, the ray rose (now i believe all their latin sandals are "ultra flex") was very flexible, but maybe too much for my experience/level at that time. I preferred the heel shape/placement of Aida, so once i could get my hands on a pair i made the switch. In fact, I'm breaking in a new pair now and they feel stiff. But my old pair are amazingly flexible but still a nice sturdy shank. If your shoes are new, they may take a bit longer to break in. IF they're old and still really stiff feeling, then perhaps you do want to seek out something more flexible.

I can't remember how i felt about Supadance and International, since the fit wasn't great so i didn't spend a long time in them. THere are more brands out there of course LOL hopefully others can chime in for this.

20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Supadance tends to be a pretty stiff shoe, particularly for standard, and tend to suit dancers with medium to long toes, depending on the model. I love them as I have fairly strong feet that are slightly inclined to roll out - they make me feel supported. I acknowledge that they do take some breaking in, and know that some hate the feeling and want more freedom, or a more curved sole under the ball to help them roll through the feet.

They are definitely my forever standard shoe; I may try different latin ones once I burn through the couple of pair that I have.