Ballroom Dance > IDS vs. Ray Rose vs. Aida Latin Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by azntwice, Aug 5, 2015.

1. rels77

rels77 Active Member

These are the ones I got to wear for practice and lessons so I don't have the dreaded Aida satin wear out issue. They've lasted about 9 months so far- which considering how quickly I go through my comp shoes, is pretty darn good

classydancer likes this.
  2. Thanks Sania - sounds perfect - essentially Kalaharis like they used to be!

I also love the criss-cross straps for securing under the arch.

I think you've got very lucky there with the VAT - they sure don't take it off for me in the UK!

3. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Yes – Kalaharis like they used to be!!!

I wish RR would clue in on this!

4. I've showed them comments on this forum before, but they don't care. I was pretty much dismissed because I'm not a competitor. I'm not prepared to feel less stable in my shoes, and I want to get 6 months use out of each pair which is now impossible with the introduction of Ultraflex and reduced sole padding, but was told their competitive couples don't share my concerns.

They're obviously still getting enough custom, regardless of the reduction in the qualities I value!

5. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to have two options for the Kalaharis, especially since those options exist in some of their other shoes

And there aren't that many competitors… and many of them are sponsored by Aida or Supadance etc. etc. Imagine if every pro am female Latin dancer wore Ray Rose instead of the other brands - or every newcomer and bronze female Latin dancer in the amateur and collegiate side…

Oh well

Tangos_with_Tim likes this.
  6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hi all....Haven't been around in a while but need some shoe advice. I have an extremely narrow foot and have worn Ray Rose Cirrus in the past, however they are being discontinued and I need something to replace them with. Does anyone have a super narrow foot? I even go down an extra 1/2 size (so my toes have some sizeable "hangover" onto the floor and my feet are a little blue-ish when I first wear them). If you have any suggestions as to a 2.5 latin shoe that is narrow, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Supadance makes some models in narrow as stock items. I wear a 1063 (which is a narrower fitting version of the 1066) in narrow, in a full size smaller than my standard shoes. It comes in heel heights from 2-3.5" and is not a special order :) (The NN version is, however.)

The 1178 also fits narrow - the regular feels like a narrow in their other models.

8. mamboqueen

Thank you.

9. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

All of my Dance Naturals seem to fit narrow. My latin shoes also had quite a small heel cup, which I didn't find supportive enough, but someone with a long narrow foot might quite like. I would say they feel about a half size narrower than Superdance. The other thing is the toe shape - it may be that the rounded toe fits narrower - I took this into consideration getting my Aidas, and the square toe fitted perfectly.

10. mamboqueen

Thanks; I will have to try these on and see if they work. It just gnaws at me because I was so used to the Cirrus shoes....I'm so set in my ways with them.

11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

FWIW, it looks like they're still available in light tan satin, just not the dark tan. Or at least only the dark tan are on sale on Ray Rose's website.

12. mamboqueen

I ordered a pair. I think there were two left in stock -- but I needed practice shoes and can't spring for three pairs of shoes right before Christmas. lol...bad enough I sprung for two!

13. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

If you need the darker tan – I've had good luck getting pale satin ballroom shoes dyed darker by a shoe repair – just pick the color that you want them to be and don't worry about the existing pale tan tone

Miss Silly likes this.
  14. mamboqueen

Thanks! I will see how light they are and go from there...

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Is anyone able to comment on the difference between the IDS elite and ultra slim heels?

I used to dance in 3" elite and found them too hard to balance in as the heel was too far forward. I've switched to a 3" IDS heel and finding it too clunky/too far back. Now considering dropping down to a 2.5" heel and by the looks of the pictures, ultra slim seems to have a balance point in the middle of the other two options?

I'm moving down half an inch because I can dance semi-ok in my teaching shoes, but struggle to use my feet properly in comp shoes. I'm thinking the extra half inch may make a difference.

16. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I find 2 1/2 inch heels to be way more stable and comfortable than 3 inch heels and I suspect that I am considerably taller and have proportionately larger feet than you do, so a half-inch should make even more difference in your case

I wear the IDS Flavias with the 2 1/2 IDS inch heel and it was such an upgrade over the Ray Rose and supadance heels (which are set farther back) that I've been very happy with them - but I have not tried the elite or ultraslim

17. Ms.Lazy.Sunday

Ms.Lazy.Sunday New Member

Ow, I really wished I discovered this forum and thread sooner!

I placed an order for Aida Astas (wide fit, 3 inch slim heel, 24cm, street size 38,5/39) just the other day. Now reading like they wear out so fast, I'm kind of worried they will become too wide in no time.
    On the other hand, I had to cut a strap on my RR Kalahari (medium fit) because it was practically biting in my foot and didn't allow me to point as far as I potentially could (same thing with my Internationals and Supas). Well let's just hope for the best. This are going to be agonizing 3 weeks *waiting patiently*...

18. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I wore my Aidas for three months, on average ten hours a week, before the heel cup started showing wear and the straps got soft. That's a lot of wear. I think it really will depend on how much you're wearing the shoe.

Ms.Lazy.Sunday likes this.
  19. classydancer

classydancer New Member

Miss Silly, from whom did you buy AIDA standard shoes? I can find one vendor in the US with Latin shoes, but no Standard. Unless you are from outside the US, then maybe I need to look overseas.

Miss Silly likes this.
  20. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Ilia handles all the Aida styles in the us. Aidadance dot us

https://www.aidadance.us/collections/women-standard

s2k likes this.