Salsa > If follow doesn't stay on beat.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ticolora, Mar 5, 2017.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Commence side left, 1 and back right 2 ( same as bolero but different timing )

cornutt likes this.
  2. Mia

Mia Member

I have danced with leads where we fell off beat and some either:
    1. speed up the next step to catch up and get back on beat
    2. skip a step to catch up

I'm at ease with speeding up to get back on beat but when they skip a step or three, I often times get confused and one time even tripped up lol

3. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

If you fall off beat as a couple it's the leaders responsibility to lead back to the beat. One technique is a hesitation step (aka skip a beat or three). Keep in mind it has to be led, no follow is going to know you are returning to the dominant down beat "here" without a lead in advance.

4. ticolora

ticolora Member

5. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

A hesitation most often is led with a slight body rise and being careful to give no indication of a weight change.

6. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

Q - how do you know your partner is off beat? Salsa is complex and you may think you're dancing on the 1, but dancing to something else.

Also - how across are you on on1 vs on2?

7. vit

vit Active Member

Body rise isn't something commonly used in salsa, at least not among people that call themselves salseros; salsa taught together with other ballroom dances is of course a different story, howerver most people that learned salsa in ballroom studios don't go beyond very basic salsa dancing, that indeed consists of a few figures. I mean nothing wrong with that either, just I want to point out that many things are different depending where you actually dance

Ballroom salsa teaching video

Club salsa in NY

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

I was not specifically talking about Salsa when I mentioned body rise, just hesitation steps in general.

For Salsa specifically, there's a hesitation in every basic, so should be 2nd nature to any Salsa dancer.
    1 2 3 Hold 5 6 7 Hold
    Find yourself off time milk one of the Holds until you're back.

9. vit

vit Active Member

In salsa nobody calls that hesitation or hold, and nobody stops moving either, it's just that you do a step lasting two beats ...

10. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

Symantics, hold, hesitation, slow, 2 beats, whatever, milk it for whatever additional beats is needed and you're back on time.

11. tangotime

That, is the very thing one should NOT do in salsa. The QQ "hold".

I would concede, at the very beginning of learning the foundation steps, there may be a slight pause, but, the objective for anyone who wishes to pursue the "dance" to the next level, then " blending "the Fwd and Back basic to create smoothness, is what distinguishes the great dancers from the average .

This is not to say that, it will immediately cure timing problems , but will put them on a better pathway for how to "use " the music , and maximise ,the 4 beats in the bar .

vit likes this.
  12. vit

vit Active Member

Yes. It's not just about semantics, so in a way hold, hesitation, slow, 2 beats are all the same, but different words ring different bells in heads of the people. So it's not the same.

13. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

Yes, I agree. In any Dance you should be working toward smoothness and fluidity. In foxtrot the slow sould smoothly blend with quicks, the 1,2,3 in Waltz should be invisible to a observer. I was merely speaking of a trick or technique if you prefer, that if you find yourself stepping your 1 step on the 3 count a way to find your way back to taking the 1 step on the 1 count.

14. tangotime

A simpler way, is to do a Rock step, which is more in keeping with foundational movements, of which this one is key..

15. ticolora

ticolora Member

@tangotime, you mean do two rock steps, or a fake rock step (on "and")?

16. tangotime

You do NOT need to fake a weight change, the whole purpose, is to change from 3 to 1 , or, 4 to 2 .
    Stepping on "and" , will syncopate the action.

17. tangotime

On the very 1st step, there are3 very common faults ( and this is with Prof's (?.. !! ).

# 1.. That is NOT an Open break, its a Separation break

#2.. the guy seems to step "under" his forward break step., no sign of body moves, foot catches principle .

#3,..The back breaks , would do justice to F/trot !!.

Didn't watch any more, it makes my eyes bleed :(

vit likes this.