Ballroom Dance > Videos > I'm trying standard bronze

Discussion in 'Videos' started by little_mouse, Mar 16, 2015.

1. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I've been on this forum for about 10 yrs - thank you all for the advice to my silly questions during that time...Little Mouse will now represent. Grateful for any critique & help you can offer me on videos of my latest comp. Have been dancing standard only a little over a year. What do you see in the videos that I should be working on? Sometimes my neck starts to hurt so I know my frame is not correct (teacher & I know this is a problem area and trying to correct this).

There is so much to learn. Thank you for your help!

- VW, W, T - I hate my tango face :-(

- F, QS

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Your hand/arms seem a little disconnected from your body. So when you move forward or back, sometimes the body is moving a little before the hands.

Just something to try...
    When you move forward, think of pushing with your hands, and when you move back think of resisting with your hands. It appears you are doing quite well with the body connection, but maybe need to think also about the role the hands play.

Overall, I think your dancing looks good for the Bronze level (above average), so keep up the good work!

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i recognize that ballroom!! lived in az for 18 years az dancesport jam congrats on your effort i thought you dance well. i leave it up to the standard ladies to critique

little_mouse likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

wow good eye dance mentor!! i didn't notice that until i read your post and reviewed the vid again agree and agree very good for bronze time to move up LOL just kidding

5. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thank you DanceMentor, I'm going to have to try to wrap my head around that concept. For a long time I've had the problem of being too stiff/rigid, maybe I'm over compensating for that?...

6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Stiffness and rigidity usually mean that you are tensing your arm and shoulder muscles to hold them in place, instead of connecting them through your back and supporting them with your lats. So what Dance Mentor is talking about is connecting more with your back and using your arms more as a device to listen and communicate with your partner about where you are, and where he is, and less about hanging on. Does that help?

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'm no judge, but if I may... I think you look lovely.

Rhythmdancer and little_mouse like this.
  8. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thank you Stash, I will use all of this advice on my next lesson. Maybe I will understand it better when I am practicing on the floor. I'll also try to incorporate more back exercises to strengthen those muscles too.

9. LPDTMovement

LPDTMovement New Member

AMAZING