Dancers Anonymous > Injury Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

skwig...does that really help?...I would think it would increase the likelihood of your ankle turning without your foot

2. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Well, my physical therapist suggested that I start in sneakers, and when I explained that I can't dance in sneakers he told me to go with the most supportive shoes possible. He liked the idea of dance sneakers.

I thought about the stickiness too and I'm really torn. I can't wear high heels yet, even just around the house. My practice shoes might be tolerable. Maybe I'll try them at home tonight and see how they feel.

3. fascination

I am not a doctor but I would think practice shoes would be sfer and maybe wrap the ankle...absent that, perhaps a jazz slipp with a wrapped ankle...I wear a jazz sneaker for zumba and cardio kick but I rearely find it forgiving og my ankle and rarely able to turn well enough for ankle and foot to move together...it's great for being able to articulate my foot to a point but not so much for what I would think would be important to a sprain...but I don't mean to add to your stress or undermine his professional perspective...

4. skwiggy

Your perspective is appreciated. And while he is a professional PT, I'm sure that his knowledge of what footwear is necessary for proper dance movement is limited, so much of the onus is on me to make a judgement call.

I don't have jazz slippers and I'm not anxious to dance in a completely foreign shoe at the moment.

5. fascination

hmmm...well maybe bring both the practice shoe and the sneakers...at any rate...my very best wishes and empathy...I would hate to be side-lined against my will

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'm having the same thought... the stickiness could be harmful. something lower with more stability, suede soles. i'd trust my men's latins to the job. what about taller lace-up wrestling shoes, skwigs? they'd give support while you heal...

wishing you a speedy recovery!!!!! *hug*

7. skwiggy

My practice shoes are pretty similar to men's latins. Lace up, leather, 1.5 inch block heel.

I was definitely planning on bringing both just in case.

I'm definitely nervous, but it helps that my PT is very liberal and says I don't have to be 100% to return. We talked a lot about what is a reasonable amount of pain to expect and tolerate, vs what is doing further damage.

I was surprised when I danced around my house at how little some things hurt, and how off my balance was in general. Being off balance may be the most dangerous part of all, but I'm working on improving it at PT.

I was surprised that balancing in a risen position didn't really hurt much at all, while rolling through the heel in a lowered position was the most unforgiving. So interesting to learn about what parts of my body are activating to create certain actions that I never realized or even thought about. Injuries can be very enlightening that way.

8. skwiggy

Definitely the worst part of any injury. :(

I feel like all the hard work I have done to get myself back to my pre-pregnancy strength and performance level is quickly withering away. I can't wait to get back. Soooooo frustrating.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

excellent

that injury is a big deal... all the information that comes up through your feet and ankles, which you normally take for granted, can't move spontaneously. i think it's a healthy thing that you are wary and taking it gently... respectfully...

interesting. yes, i guess it is during that lowering action where your ankle is most challenged to stabilize you.

i've also found injuries, misalignments, and "glitches" to be so incredibly enlightening. they can really increase your awareness of how things work or don't quite work the way they should in your body. well, in my body, anyway. :)

keep us posted on your progress, skwigs.

10. skwiggy

It's also that much of my pain at this point is from stiffness, seemingly caused from the inflammation. So even though the original injury was an overstretching, that caused swelling, which resulted in tightening and stiffness, which is now the most painful part. Seems kind of backwards, but I digress.

And it came to light that when I am in a lowered position and my heel is down, that creates a significant stretch in the back of my ankle, for which I currently don't have sufficient flexibility or range of motion.

My back problems have taught me a lot about the implications of my posture and the activation of my center, and now this injury is teaching me more about the implications of use of the body from the knee down. Who knows, maybe this will be just what I need to instill the importance of spectacular footwork and ankle usage moving forward.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wishing that for you! :)

also, once the inflammation has receded... there's the benefit of rolfing to consider... i can start swooning in 5 when i begin recalling what rolfing did to my feet and ankles, and how that instantly improved my balance...

and yah... i don't care about the dead horse, lolz. ;)

12. skwiggy

Danced in practice shoes for about 45 min. Very stiff to start, but things loosened up as I went. Balance started to deteriorate towards the end so I quit while ahead. Save for extra stiffness after, seemingly no worse. PT advised me to try a few more short, light practices before jumping back in to a full practice. In the mean time working diligently on strength, balance, flexibility and range of motion in my ankle. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

14. skwiggy

Update: I have practiced 4 times in the last couple of weeks. The first 3 practices were all about 45 minutes. The last practice was about 1 hour and 45 minutes, trying every dance except for Quickstep.

Tonight I plan to try Quickstep for the first time since my sprain. Did I mention Quickstep is how I sprained my ankle in the first place?

I'm a bit nervous, but cautiously optimistic.

Things are still a bit sore and very tight, and when I'm on my feet too much or make some sudden movements I am reminded that I'm still healing.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

best wishes with that, swigs... sending happy, healthy QS vibes your way...

16. skwiggy

Thanks, sam! :D

17. skwiggy

So QS went about as well as could have been expected. Some areas I felt a little weak, but overall I felt I was able to dance pretty close to my maximum. I was VERY stiff the next day, but seemingly no worse overall.

I saw my PT today and when I mentioned the weakness he had me try on an ankle brace. But I absolutely hated it. I felt more restricted than supported, so we decided it wasn't for me.

During practice the other night I was giving a lot of thought to my footwork. I was thinking a lot about correct, precise, powerful use of my feet. This of course stemmed from my desire to protect my ankle from re-injury. But I also found it to really strengthen my dancing overall. I felt more balanced, powerful, and responsive. So hopefully that will be the gem that I get from this experience. Hopefully I have found the silver lining and I can take something positive away from this irritating injury.

18. Yana

Yana Member

Sacroiliac Joint Pain

Thank you so much for starting this thread!!!!

Here's my injury:

So it started about 2 weeks ago with mild lower back pain from a private lesson involving rumba and cha cha. A couple of days after that I had some lessons and the pain worsened, yet I continued dancing. Then a week ago I took more lessons and I could barely make it to the car before I broke down in tears; my lower back/pelvis/hip area hurt like hell.

I've been going to the chiropractor and each time, they have to adjust my sacrum (tailbone). Apparently, it's rotated putting pressure on my sacroiliac joint (the place where the sacrum and the hip bones attach). The hip action in latin is what's causing all this pain. So I was forced to take a week off from dance.

The pain is still there and my sacrum isn't staying alignment. It keeps getting displaced through regular daily activities.

I'm going to take another week off from dancing and see if that helps. My chiropractor told me that as long as I keep dancing (especially latin) I will always have this problem (pain in my lower back/pelvis/hip area).

Not really sure what to do about this since quitting dancing is not an option.......

I miss dancing so much! I don't know what's worse: being in pain, or not dancing :(

19. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

hug! that's a tough spot to be in. Do you know if you are creating more damage through dancing or can it be managed/maintained through regular adjustments? Maybe it's worth trying smooth or standard to see if your body handles it better than latin?

20. Yana

Yana Member

Thanks, ireniecat! They said that the only thing they can do is keep adjusting me. The problem is that I'm not holding the adjustments :( Plus it doesn't help that I sleep on my stomach.

I've done smooth/standard and it's better, but that comes with its whole set of issues. Latin is my passion, but I feel useless if I can't do the hip action.

I haven't asked if I'm creating more damage.....afraid of the answer.