Ballroom Dance > Is Pro Am becoming a sport of only the wealthy?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Jul 5, 2013.

1. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread up again, since my frustration is along these lines...
    First off, I dance with a pro that prices comps quite reasonable, and often he will stay at a hotel offsite to save expenses even though I did not expect him to do so. So my gripe may not be valid, but here it is!!

So we decide months ago on a comp requiring air travel. As soon as we decide on this I start a flight search because I know this flight is going to be expensive and I want to control costs best I can... I book my flight at a good price and pro waits. So now the flights are about $300 more. Since I will pay pros travel in the back of my mind I was thinking..why did you wait until about 10 days before a comp to book a flight?

I think all of the AMs of a pro/am partnership understand that the pros travel expenses are part of our cost to compete, and willingly accept it. Yet now I question is it not reasonable to expect that the pro makes effort that his travel expense at my cost is the best value?... I mean I did it for myself, found the best price, should not I expect the same??

Rant over!!

FancyFeet likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

In the past I have even gone so far as to book the pros tickets for them. I'm paying anyway and that way it's cheaper and we can sit near each other.

Purr, SwayWithMe, mindputtee and 3 others like this.
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I don't believe it is a rant at all. I have booked tickets as well, in advance, but also with travel insurance in case something or someone causes the obligation not to happen. Fortunately my pro is all over getting the best flight/travel deal as well and compares with his students what they have found too. Definitely not 10 days before take off.

Mr 4 styles and stash like this.
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

10 days before comp is negligence.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I believe it is a valid gripe

Purr and Mr 4 styles like this.
  6. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I have also booked my pro's flights at the same time I book mine. We agree on the dates and approximate times of travel before I book. If flights have to be changed to suit his plans that don't include me, he pays me the difference. This works well for us. He doesn't have to do the clerical work associated with booking the flights, and I get to research the best prices and schedules.

7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Well, The pro gave me his cost today and knowing the wholesale entry costs I am pretty sure he ate the flight price difference... Feeling comfortable with this now.

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That is good, and sounds like he did the right thing. You have a good pro it seems. :)

scullystwin42 likes this.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

made me worry I hadn't gotten a flight to San Diego yet for next month... I just went and bought it.

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

are you judging beach bash???

if so see ya there!!!

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Great post, and I have danced "in your shoes" quite a bit. You don't have to be like the people you are competing against. Your courage and determination may very well set you apart in a very positive way, maybe not always in terms of competition results, but in what you get from the dancing itself, and in turn what you can provide to others. Good luck!

raindance likes this.
  12. vit

vit Active Member

I actually didn't follow this lengthy thread, but maybe the question is also why people want to compete pro-am. I very well understand how nice is to dance with a pro and I understand that people are willing to pay for it, but if it's the goal, you don't have to spend additional money to competitions, dresses etc

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

mainly, because amatuer men don't grow on trees

14. vit

vit Active Member

Well, amateur women don't either :) Anyway, this pro-am game will never be very fair, because it consists of people who are reasonably good dancers and get paid, and people that are not that good but are willing to pay for that. So in the end, those who pay more generally win (by paying a better pro that can make them better any buying more beautiful dresses) so it turns into the sport of wealthy. Can't be different

Actually, am-am isn't much different, just it is, at least in my area where WDSF is dominant organization, mostly a sport of kids with rich and overambitious parents, which is very obvious from the comments they leave after each competition on local dance site, and of course, stories that some of their trainers told me ...

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Life isn't fair.:)

Larinda McRaven and vit like this.
  16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I disagree with this part of the statement... but do agree with the sentiment that having ready access to boatloads of cash makes a competitive dance career much easier.

danceronice likes this.
  17. fascination

um ...actually amateur women do....that is why there is such a disparity.....not because they prefer frilly dresses and dancing with pros

Sania likes this.
  18. vit

vit Active Member

Well, there aren't much pro-am here, but in all cases "the pro" is much better dancer than "the am". Anyone knows the couple where they are about equal ?

19. vit

vit Active Member

Agree, there are more women that want to dance
    So they are just competitive, it's not that much about dancing with pros ? (I was never very competitive, even in my competitive days, but not all people are equal)

20. fascination

we are going to stay on topic...so if you want to explore that, please start a new thread

vit likes this.