General Dance Discussion > Is sexual/romantic chemistry essential for dancesport?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Oct 21, 2008.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I could not find a thread exactly on this point which came up in Yuan Ren's post in the platonic thread:

Thus, does a partnership (standard or latin) need real sexual or romantic chemistry to really work? Or is it something that is unnecessary or can be faked?

I happen to think that the really great ones have either or both but would love to hear what others think.

2. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

It's unnecessary and can be faked, but the whole process is so much more enjoyable if it's genuine and reciprocated.

3. Jadirra

Jadirra New Member

I hope it's not required, as that will scare me off from the possibility of accepting a dance partner who is not my real life partner :???:! I would love my regular dance partner to be my mate, so that we can really tap into that sizzle! :D

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I've found that it gets a bit different when you are older - relationships can become rather stylized as if you were a teenager again! The reason is that neither of you wants to get into the same (personal) committments you had with your young spouse but you are still attracted - this makes a nice sort of sustainable sexual tension that is just great for dancing :)

5. Jadirra

Jadirra New Member

Eeeeps! :oops: I sooo don't want to go there with another man, lol!

Back when I was in an unhappy relationship, I'd be all about the attraction and chemistry with a dance partner!

Whenever I watch dance competitions and the announcers point out that they're not a couple in real life, I always wondered if they ...uh.... ;)

6. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Simply, "No". From my observation, it is the one thing that is most lacking in competitive dancing, today. The rumba, for ex., is supposed to be the most romantic of the latin dances, but as we watch the whipping and snapping, and arm waving of most of today's 'apparently OK w/ everyone' performances, a sensual/romantic connection w/ one's self seems to be more important than one w/ the partner.

There should...must be a connection. But, dance is a communication; and, comp is a performance. One should be able to perform a romantic connection w/o actually having one. Not fake it...be it. Not dance the dance...be the dance.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

OK AH - so its possible to do it without - it must be since many couples are only dance partners. However, is it better if they are more than that? Interstingly, this does not, of course, necessarily correlate with marriage since obviously that state can be with achieved with less chemistry than my school girl kit. And since we don't know who is and who is not 'romantically involved' the question is to the most part rhetorical.

I suspect the only answer will come from dance partnerships here - from personal experience. IMO some chemistry is essential. But that may well be because I'm not a very good actress :)

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Can actors who are not romantically involved perform a convincing love scene? Of course they can. No different with dancers.

9. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

I think the better question is “why would you not want it?”

Genuine chemistry does help the performance, and it does make the whole process that much more enjoyable. I think so many dancers get hung up on the risks involved they forget that there will always be risks, even in the coldest, most professionally distant partnerships.

[FONT=&quot]If it’s there, go for it. If you have the choice between a partner with the chemistry, and a partner without, and the two options are otherwise equal in dance ability, then go for the chemistry.[/FONT]

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Maybe we should differentiate between the 'actors' (your term) on the world stage and us - we (excuse me, by that I mean most of us - I know there are some top level dancers here too :)) are (more or less) trained dancers, not trained actors. So there are two questions do the world-class competitors need chemistry? And do the hoi paloi dancesporters need chemistry to compete at our best??

I still think both do with, perhaps, the rare exception. Perhaps the proof that the latter works is when one or both members of the partnershp are gay/lesbian - and there have been a lot of top level same-sexers dancing with the opposite (there I just put in a great argument against myself! :)).

11. Angel HI

Exactly, but to answer you directly.....

Perhaps. If a partnership has a romantic/sensuelle relationship, that might be portrayed in, and add to, their dancing. Of course, the flip side is that the dance might then display "their" personal feelings, rather than one that the onlooker would/could make their own, which is the goal of a comp/perf.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

love this ...and now find it to be true...and far easier than when something real is in the mix

13. Jadirra

Jadirra New Member

For those who want and allow there to be sexual tension and chemistry between yourself and your dance partner, how does your significant other feel about that? Do they know? I'm just curious.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Well, maybe the real issue then is (excuse me but I can't avoid it) 'it takes two to tango' ;)

It means that both of you have to fake it or both of you have to feel it. It would seem to be untenable if it was one and one - that is one faking and one feeling! can you imagine? The feeling one loves the connection and reads more into it, the faking one hates it and fears the consequences....

I wonder how many partnerships foundered on that particular iceberg/volcano, to excuse an analogy.

15. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

I'd say "no". IMHO, Dancesport is a form of acting. It's Public Display of Dance-Affection.

16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

There definitely needs to be positive chemistry. Not necessarily of a sexual nature. I don't think it's possible to perform well if you can barely tolerate each other or (maybe worse) you're indifferent. Also, the presence of sexual chemistry doesn't mean you have to ACT on it. But you can use it for the performance.

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

This is fascinating. Diametrically different opinions. I think we should have a team match between the +chemists and the -chemists. I now wonder if one could actually tell :)

18. Angel HI

This has been threaded to death. Of course they know. Also, of course, there are the shallow whom are in it for the wrong reasons, and shallow SOs who never grew up, but, for the most part, it's dance...not se x. It's a conversation...a sharing...no more...no less.

OK. You seem to be insistent upon making it something that it doesn't have to be. Why does the faking one have to hate it? Why can't it simply be what it is...a dance - a performance - a role - a part that the dancer acts out for 3 minutes...and enjoys it, whether feeling or, as I said before, just "being the dance"? Both can like it equally as much even if the motivations are different.

19. NoDayButToday

NoDayButToday New Member

Well said.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[I think you quoted that out of context AH: that part of my post was solely about unrequited relationships - where one partner is in love and the other is not :)]