Tango Argentino > Is Tango a declining matter?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by itwillhappen, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JTh

JTh Member

Further to my post above...for those reasons it probably is declining but not significantly.

2. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

Are you saying connection = close embrace? Then the one regularly scheduled Salsa event I went to was even closer than Tango! There was a lot of grinding. There were easily 5x the number of people than at a Milonga. Also, my area has about 4x the Salsa events.

If you meant good lead follow, there were many Salsa dancers there that appeared to have excellent connection and were dancing very well with their partners.

If you mean connection = Tango face, then you are absolutely right. Everyone at Salsa seemed to have a huge smile. :) :cool: :dancingbanana: :joyful: ;) :p :D :hilarious: :play:

3. JTh

JTh Member

It's more the intensity of the connection. It's higher quality and more intense in tango than salsa I found.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I find it´s not the intensity, but it´s the sort of connection that is different. In tango I switch to auto pilot, in salsa I´m highly aware of everything around and in front of me.

LadyLeader likes this.
  5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I don't know much about Salsa. Do they dance it with head contact, (like some people do in tango)?

6. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

I'm no Salsa expert. I saw no head-to-head contact, but lots of hand-to-head contact. Led and unled, I saw ladies run their arms up and over their heads, and run their hands down the leader's arms, or down their own sides. Those are fun moves.

There was also alot of R rated grinding, to the point my DW refused to go to that particular event again.

7. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

53! That's great.

8. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

62? Oh, if you include all of the events outside the city, yes, NY Metro Area. Some of those are very small, however.

9. larrynla

larrynla Member

The older milongueros and milongueras in BsAs are vanishing as age catches up with them. Whether that means the milongas are dying as well, perhaps those in BsAs can tell us.

And on a parallel part of this thread: connection. It is a spiritual as much as a physical feeling. I've been a salsero for many years as well as a tanguero for twice that. You can have deeply intimate connections in each dance, so much it seems we are reading each others souls. Each dance has techniques that further that, different ones. You can't judge one by its lack of techniques that the other has.