General Dance Discussion > Is this too much dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ggraceking, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ggraceking

ggraceking New Member

I'm 15 and about to start yr 10. I have been dance for three years preprofessionally but this year I am beginning the study of dance as a part of gaining my high school certificate (SACE). I dance after school as well as within school hours. I'm also going gym classes for extra exercise and stretching as well as injury prevention. I'm worried if this is too much exercise. I also want to know if this sounds like a good, well balanced schedule for a dancer (I want to be a contemporary or jazz dancer). With this schedule, I can JUST fit in my homework (I have study lessons). This is my schedule:

Monday

Jazz 3:30pm-4:30pm
    Tap 4:30pm-5:30pm
    Hip Hop 5:30pm-6:30pm

Exercise total: 3 hours

Tuesday

SACE Dance Class- Contemporary 12:20pm-1:05pm
    Yoga/Pilates Class 7:00pm-8:00pm

Exercise total: 1 hour 45 minutes

Wednesday

SACE Dance Class- Contemporary 2:45pm-3:30pm
    Contemporary 3:45pm-5:00pm
    Ballet 5:00pm-6:15pm

Exercise total: 3 hours and 15 minutes

Thursday:

SACE Dance Class- Contemporary 10:50am-12:20pm
    Jazz Class- 5:45pm-9:00pm

Exercise total: 4 hours and 45 minutes

Friday:

SACE Dance Class- Contemporary 8:35am-9:15am
    Sh'bam Class 5:45pm-6:45pm (similar to Zumba if you don't know. I don't know if its really "dance" but I'll count it anyway)

Exercise total: 1 hour and 40 minutes

Saturday:

Yoga Class 3:00pm-4:00pm

Exercise total: 1 hour

Sunday:

RPM Class (indoor cycling)- 9:30am-10:15am
    Zumba Class- 10:30am-11:30am

Exercise total: 1 hour and 45 minutes

So in total I am exercising for just over 17 hours per week.

Give me your thoughts on if this is a well balanced schedule and also if it is maintainable.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think some of it depends on the levels of intensity and difficulty. There are people who dance many more hours than this. But is important for you to not just dance, but improve your Technique. Maybe ask your teachers if they notice any problems in your form that might cause injury. And this way you can have a better chance of staying free of injuries that would stop you from dancing.

It is great that you love to dance and I hope that you will be successful and I love the journey as well. Welcome to our form and I hope you will keep us updated as you progress.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I exercise more hrs a week and I'm older. Do yes it's maintainable

4. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

It's definitely doable. What's important is that you need to find the right balance. Once girls you're over the age of 14, the hours of dancing can be increased to ‘professional’ or ‘full-time student’ levels. Your focus needs to be on maintaining and improving technique and precision of all movements, and any increase in hours should be done gradually.
    As @DanceMentor said, go talk to your teachers about any possible forms that might get you injured, other than that, I believe you'll be fine. Be sure to post your updates!

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

It´s by far not enough, ggking! Dancing also is having two foreign languages, especially french.