Tango Argentino > Videos > Javier Rodriguez and Carla Rossi

Discussion in 'Videos' started by LadyLeader, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

It seems that Javier Noelia Barsi are not going to work together in future and Javier is therefore dancing with different followers in the performances. I have seens some earlier videos with Carla without further feelings but this one shows a musicality I like!
    What do you think?

Sweetboots likes this.
  2. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

It's a style of dancing that leaves me totally cold. It seems sterile and lacks emotion. The movements don't appear to flow from the music, so fail my 'musicality' test.

Mladenac and LadyLeader like this.
  3. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Sorry LadyLeader, but I agree with UKDancer. The movements are not in tune with the music and are rather generic and flat, lacking musical sensitivity.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Mladenac and LadyLeader like this.
  4. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

No need to be sorry! :)
    I am intellectually stimulated by differences! There is so much more information!

In these cases I have a Life net picture before my eyes and this picture visualizes how extremely valuable it is to have different positions - if you are having opposite opinion compared to me and there is also people at other corners of the net with their opinions - then we can strech/tighten the net properly! The different options on the subject become beautifully visible.

(Sometimes this causes problems for people around me. In situations when I am alone at my side of the net I usually work hard to make my points clear - it is my very responsibility to keep the net tight. :) In those cases some more emotionally/relationally oriented people can have a feeling of insensitiveness, rudeness, stubbornness aso) ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_net )

5. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Here we have another combination and it seems that it is quite popular in US - by the viewer nubers!

But the question is if this is popular here in the forum: Do you like this better than the earlier?

6. UKDancer

Nope!

It's a purely personal response, but I can't like this style of dancing. I don't really like watching anyone 'perform' tango (unless I have gone to a show to be entertained, which isn't often). While I can't deny JR has a reputation of being perhaps the best of his generation in his chosen style, that doesn't help me like the results. I can see and admire the technique, but I don't feel much real musicality, and his partners too often look as though they are optional bolt-on extras.

And anyway, I'm in a bad mood, this morning ....

7. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

This is watchable.
    So it's better that one earlier.

8. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Javier is one of the very few dancers who has reached my heart both in live performances as well as on video. Most of the time a dancer does it on youtube or in live performance but not on both.

I saw him first time 2004 and during the years I have seen him dance live once/twice a year. He has been a very stable dancer in the style he has chosen and I really admire his ability to recreate the style and the dance with different partners.

Yes, I do not totally agree about his musical choices/ musicality and understand that it can be a bigger issue for others. During the performances with Geraldine Rojas, his first partner, I never get that feeling - a good follower can lift the dance a lot!

9. Mladenac

IMHO He still dances like he danced with Geraldine.
    No evolution in 10 yrs, and he cannot adapt to new partners.

He is not just my cup of tea.

10. UKDancer

Perhaps she was simply a better dancer than some who have followed her. But his dance seems rather stuck in time (rather like his hair styling ;)) and things have moved on.

Mladenac likes this.
  11. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

The discussions in the forum made me aware of the fact that the Dispari family is the center peace in my tango life: Jorge and Marita, Geraldine // Javier as well as Amanda and Adrian costa.

I never thought that you guys count in the hair cut when you choose your favorites! :) :)

12. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

center piece - is maybe a better spelling!

13. UKDancer

Well, there's the gulf between us: the centre of my tango is tango music and my current partner. Everything else can go to hell.

Mladenac likes this.
  14. UKDancer

I mean, for goodness sake, he's only recently stopped wearing it halfway down his back, like a girl.

15. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

I enjoyed both videos, perhaps the second one more because I was at that festival :). It's difficult for me to describe Javier's dance, but the best word I can think of is "thoughtfully."

Sweetboots likes this.
  16. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Did you prefere the video or live performance? Or there was no difference?

17. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

If by 'only recently' you mean 8 years ago, then yeah, he only recently cut his hair...

18. Sweetboots

Sweetboots New Member

I would like to hear why you think his dancing is "stuck in time" because I thought both routines were impressive. Do you think he is sticking to the classical form of the tango and shows no originality with his interpretation of the music, or-? Not arguing, for I surely know little about the tango - just wanting to learn. I thought the comment about him dancing "thoughtfully" was appropriate, because he seems to ascribe to exactly what you said- that the music and your current partner is the center of your tango.
    (Gazing longingly at those REALLY high heeled dancing pumps- sigh- wouldn't be able to WALK in them, let alone DANCE in them o_O )

19. Mladenac

If you watch his dancing 10 yrs ago (Geraldine Rojas) you could notice that his routines are the same his dancing is the same.
    Also you can notice even then that he wasn't following the music so much as he should've done.

He shows great athleticism but lacks subtlety that tango requires.
    And IMHO he is just to stiff and don't adapt to partners,
    maybe it looked better with Geraldine but now it looks hideous with newer partners.

20. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

I preferred the live performance of course, but that doesn't mean the video doesn't give me chills! Since we're on the topic, here's another fairly recent video: