General Dance Discussion > Jive styles dilemma

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Stillcrazy, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Stillcrazy

Stillcrazy New Member

Are there any jive teachers or experience dancers who could advise on my jive dilemma?

I’ve been learning six-beat jive but, while I’ve mastered the rock step, I’m really struggling with increasingly complex footwork for showy ‘steppy’ moves – which is going beyond what I want to do.

I’m told the ‘rock and roll’ style of jive (which seems involve doing a ‘choo-choo train’ style motion with your partner’s hands, and without the rock step) is not only easier but is more popular at clubs, etc. But I was also told my rock step, which has now become almost automatic, will hinder me in rock and roll jive.

My dilemma is whether I should continue learning the six-beat or learn the rock and roll style instead.

Is the rock and roll style really simpler and more popular?

Am I just going to confuse myself by trying to learn a different style? Or can you mix and match?

And does choosing one style or another mean you can only dance with women who’ve learnt the same style?

I’m not a serious clubber dedicated to the rocking scene but rather I just want to be able to dance at local events to music that makes me want to move!

2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Where are you? Location matters a lot to dance style popularity. I can't answer your specific question, since I'm not familiar with the term "rock and roll style jive," though I'm sure it's a kind of swing. But since you say you want to be able to dance at local events, I'd say to go to some of those events and see what people are dancing, and learn whatever it is. If you change styles, it might be a little confusing at first, but you'll adjust eventually. As far as who you can dance with, I'd bet that more experienced dancers will be able to follow various styles, but beginners will likely have more trouble following styles other than the specific one they've learned.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Try to dance slacky, instead, Stillcrazy. You mistake the six-beat as a sequence of steps, but it isnt. It´s a rhythm. Learn to dance it without any steps. Learn to dance the six-beat pattern on the spot, only by moving your shoulders, hips, knees, toes, hands, or eyes. Replace every step by a weight change. Try to do a rock-step without bouncing to and fro. Simply absorp the energy with a slight hip movement. It´s all about interpreting the music, not about running down a choreography: Less is more in dancing.

No it doesn´t. The woman will follow your style.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

lol tell that to balboa and shag dancers....

oldtangoguy, j_alexandra and opendoor like this.
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Rock and Roll is found primarily (and popularly) in the UK. And that crowd is as different from ballroom jive as AT's crowd is from ballroom tango. There isn't likely to be any crossover, in community or style.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    oldtangoguy likes this.
  6. opendoor

Bewildered: Is there anything like good or bad leading (following) out there?

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, yeah, but if your partner isn't familiar with what you are doing, there can be a train wreck.
    Larinda's example is a good one in the current context. I took Balboa for just one month, and if I wanted to follow someone, I'd have the devil of a time. Shag and Balboa appear to have been more popular in the 30s than Lindy Hop, and they were danced to swing music. So how could they not be swing dances? Meanwhile, those swing dances are incompatible without significant alterations, seemingly inconsistent with Dean Collins assertion that if you can't dance with another swing dancer you really can't dance swing.(yes, shag /balboa took on swing movement, something that happened with teenage dances like bop swing in the 50s.

8. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

Larinda is spot on. I dance Lindy, Balboa and Argentine Tango. If a follow isn't trained at some level, good luck. Lindy Hoppers who can dance Charleston still can't make the (easy) bridge to Bal. Tango Dancers, even though they are accustomed to a totally improvised dance, can't make the bridge to either swing dance. Etc. Despite what some follows claim (Just lead. I can follow anything), it doesn't work that way.

9. opendoor