Ballroom Dance > Keeping competition earrings on - advice!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by s2k, Sep 29, 2013.

1. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I dance open rhythm scholarship, and I keep losing earrings on the floor! I've tried a number of different pair: omega backs (the o-shaped lever on the back), French wire, and posts. Regardless, when I spot, typically snapping my head sends one earring spinning like Voyager out across the ballroom.

I bought a new pair of smaller, lighter weight hoops with a snap back, wore them to rehearse in yesterday, and sure enough - I lost one in swing. It has a snap closure, AND little plastic doohickeys that would (supposedly) keep them in place even if the snap opened.

I think I'm just going to glue the things closed and then pry them open at the end of the night with pliers. Unless someone out here has better advice, that is. I appreciate your suggestions!

2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Well, for the large, heavy, clip on earrings I wear for Standard, I secure them with a little eyelash glue. It works, and I don't need pliers to get them off. :) As far as hoops go, maybe the Rhythm/Latin ladies have some suggestions?

samina and s2k like this.
  3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I do same thing, and it works great.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

get some of those little erasers from the top of pencils and use them as backs....you'll never lose an earring again

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I ditto the eyelash glue.

samina, smidra86 and jiwinco like this.
  6. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I did try this once out of desperation; I wonder if I have thick earlobes or something, because there isn't enough post for both my lobe and the eraser. I didn't have time or an appropriate implement to cut the eraser in half to see if that would work. I'll try it again this week, though! Thank you!

7. fascination

you can cut them with scissors...and if you add the eyelash glue on top of that ....they are guaranteed not going anywhere

8. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Thanks, all! I'll try this tomorrow at practice!

9. Raquet

Raquet New Member

Yes, I also use glue. In fact, I use my fake nail glue. I've never lost an earring, but I do put foundation on my earlobes as otherwise getting them off can smart! I also only compete about once a month. If I did this more frequently it would start hurting.

s2k likes this.
  10. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I also agree eyelash glue probably is the best way to keep earrings on during comp, however a word of warning - if you have sensitive skins, keep wearing glues for a few days might cause skin irritation which is not pleasant:( I had used too much glues one time and caused some minor irritations; now I use the small clip on earrings which bought from Sapiel at Blackpool, those work the best, no need to put on any glues and just stay on!

11. fascination

and if you sweat a lot and the earrings are heavy, it won't be enough

12. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

oh yes, forgot about the sweat, I've seen a competitor who sweat a lot took off all her earrings and necklace after a few rounds to make herself feel "lighter"

13. fascination

I have to wear a towel underneath necklaces btwn rounds to prevent undue corrosion

14. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Of your skin or of the necklace?

15. fascination

the necklace

16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I use the eyelash glue trick as well :)

For hoops in Latin, i pretty much always had them fly off as well, which is disappointing because I love the look. The closest i can get is a hooped-shape earring attached to a fishhook or leverback finding:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The danger with these though is that they obviously won't come off quite so quickly if they get caught on something, unless the finding is made with a softer metal (like silver). It's also aesthetically not the exact same effect as wearing a 'regular' hoop but at least they seem to stay on much better.

17. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

There might be some other options depending on how the hoops close... some hoops have a post and can be glued.. if they have an omega, you can add the rubber back too (and glue) but if there is a "v" connection they will fly off...

18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Ah, something else the men don't have to worry about... :rolleyes:

19. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Eyelash glue did not work. :( Lost the left one at the start of rumba tonight. :/

I had a pair with omega backs and they still came off. I switched to this new pair because of the "v" connection - <sarcasm font> for SOME reason I thought those would stay on better! </s> ;) I have one last rehearsal before my comp so it's superglue or... I don't even want to think of the alternative. :(

20. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

Hmmm well it seems that earrings are not wanting to stay on no matter what :(

Have you tried just using eyelash glue and gluing on rhinestones?

I remember one time I forgot earrings for a performance and I got 6 ab rhinestones and glued 3 to each earlobe

Maybe you could try that? You can experiment with different size/color/design/formation of rhinestones...