Ballroom Dance > Keeping competition earrings on - advice!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by s2k, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I love the look of hoops for Latin but I have always been afraid something would catch and tear them out.

s2k likes this.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

picture of the earrings?

3. Larinda McRaven

I think most of us were assuming you were wearing regular clip on earrings that the majority of the vendors sell.

For extra support for earrings with a post, omega backed or otherwise, you can also dip the post into the eyelash glue and then poke them into your piercings. Take one of those little tiny clear plastic/rubber backs and dip that in eyelash glue as well. And slide that on the back of the post behind your ear.

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Could you -- carefully, of course -- put a gob of hot glue on the end of the earring post after it is through your ear?

5. Larinda McRaven

OMG

samina likes this.
  6. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I haven't reached that level of desperation yet! I am leaning toward superglue at this point. @Larinda, I will upload a photo later today.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

try the erasers...or make the gob of hot glue , let it cool and then try it....but I swear by the erasers...i can't vouch for the hot glue thingey...but eyelash glue is sometimes not enough for me for clips....

8. Larinda McRaven

please don't use superglue.

madmaximus likes this.
  9. Larinda McRaven

I would rather you just buy new earrings if you can't keep these one you in some safe fashion.

middy likes this.
  10. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

+1 !

Ranks up there with "DON'T use nail polish on your teeth".

m

11. madmaximus

Okay, I'll share this valuable tip just for you. :)

Go to a fishing tackle store (or fishing section in an athletic goods store) and buy a piece of tackle called SNAPs.

A snap (google: "fishing snap") is similar to a safety pin in function, without the pointy part, and are very inexpensive.

Buy a bag and hang your earrings on them.

They come in stainless steel, bronze, and nickel or brass alloys.

They come in various designs, shapes, and sizes so they can fit your earring size.

Some examples (there are lots):

• Safety Snaps
    • Lock Snaps
    • Duolock Snaps
    • Lockfast Snaps
    • Coastlock Snaps
    • Pompanette Snaps
    • Cross Lok snaps
    • McMahon Snaps
    • Corkscrew Snaps
    • Fly Clips
    Just to name a few.

An inch long Sampo snap can haul 500 pounds through water---I think it could stand a competition or three. :)

m

samina likes this.
  12. madmaximus

Oh, and you can even get them with swivels.

m

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

super glue?????? heavens no

14. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Hang on, hang on. :) Nothing is being glued to my skin, so I apologize for not being clear. These hoop earrings have a V closure. I plan to put a daub of superglue in the center of the V, then push the post through my ear and snap the back of the post into the V, so the post will sit in a little bead of superglue that is sitting in the center of the closure.

@madmaximus - thank you for that tip. I leave tomorrow so I'll have to try your idea in the future! It certainly looks like it would do the job; wish I had time to go hunt these down today! Thank you for your suggestion!

@Larinda, I would rather buy earrings that don't fly off as well. However, these are a $100 investment I've never worn; I bought them from a vendor last month because I assumed (gaaah! assumed!!!) that since I was buying from a well-known ballroom jewelry vendor, her stuff would, you know, fit a ballroom dancer's needs... i.e., stay on her head. :) I hate to sound stubborn, but I just can't eat $100, you know? That's money I could have spent on a lesson, sitting in a drawer. I'm sick thinking about that. So I am going to contact the vendor and see if she'll swap out these earrings for a hoop that maybe sits on a French hook or similar, one with a different closure. I do appreciate your help! Thank you!

15. Larinda McRaven

Most vendors will rebuild a pair of earrings for you in just this scenario. Good Luck!

s2k likes this.
  16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

While this is a great idea, we do run into the same issue that can happen when we use leverback-style earring findings, which is, if the earring gets caught on something like costuming or your partner, we hope it will just come off rather than rip through the earlobe *yikes*

jiwinco likes this.
  17. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Just be careful that once on, they will not come off since they are super glued

I have earring that work for 95% of my customers, but they don't work for a few unlucky dancers. Once earrings are worn, I would be surprised if they can be returned since the vendor can't resell them. I have worked with customers with issues to fix them. What kind of hoop are they, perhaps I can assist?

18. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

SUCCESS!!!!

Those suckers stayed on throughout four rounds in a row! BOOM!

I bought the gel kind of superglue, and put an eentsy (smaller than tiny) bit of glue in the center of the "V" closure, pushed the post through my ear, and clicked the post into the "V". Voila! I used my fingernail to lever them open again at the end of my practice. It wasn't that difficult to unpop them from the back; because it's the gel kind, it didn't get everywhere, didn't get on the earring or my skin. I'll have to get the excess out of the "V" somehow, how, carefully, since whatever I use is liable to take the stones off, too! #ballroomproblems ;)

This is what I am hoping will happen. Thank you!

Miss Silly likes this.
  19. classydancer

classydancer New Member

For the last year that I've danced amateur standard and latin, I've worn some earrings I found at a shopping mall. They're fine, but small. I'd like to wear something larger and I've been looking at vendors. The ones I used to wear had posts, but I see that clips are also popular/recommended. Is one style better than the other for dance? I've never worn clips.

20. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Well... MOST of us anyway.

[​IMG]