Swing Discussion Boards > Videos > Lesser Known Swing Scenes

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Steve Pastor, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

How could there not be dancing in a film titled "Jitterbugs"?

2. Steve Pastor

3. Steve Pastor

Some folks have proposed that Dean Collins danced in "The Canterville Ghost" (1944), or that he did "the choreography."
    I have a dvd with the film, and Dean is not in this scene, certainly not dancing.
    Margaret O'Brien is the young girl. No one seems to know who the two male dancers are.

This is a delightful film, and this scene plays quite well in the context of the entire story where American Rangers are housed in a castle haunted by the title ghost played by Charles Laughton.
    As an aside...
    Laughton introduced Elvis Presley when he first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1956, which isn't exactly his best known gig, but there it is. (Sullivan had been in a car accident. More about that here http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/1956_september_9_ed_sullivan_show.html)

4. Steve Pastor

Jump ahead to 46:30 to see the latest "jitterbug steps" being done in Hollywood in late 1938. "it took several days to rehearse and pick the pairs from fifty-seven dance teams..."

Can anyone identify them?

5. Steve Pastor

This one came out the year before Dean Collins was in his first film. This was filmed in the summer of 1939.
    Watch the woman in the white dress push her partner's shoulder at ~0:42. Man, that gal is Rough! Same couple does a really sustained "Flying Dutchman" you can see them start in this clip. You can find one of the trailers for the film where you can see the whole thing.

That's Hal and Betty Takier in there too, no?

6. Steve Pastor

This isn't really swing, but it was one of the dances you could learn if you were a student at Barnard or Columbia in the fall of 1938.
    I don't know about you, but I gotta love these scenes.

I was just trying to find out what the heck the Yam was.

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

What makes me laugh is this ; Within 2 mins Everyone is dancing what they did ,without any instruction !! ( Sure:rolleyes: ) . Good clip..

8. Steve Pastor

This one has about 5 seconds of jitterbug, and I found it because of a 1943 LIFE photo.
    I think the theme here is of historic importance.

Joe Lanza (Black Sheep / Uncle Joe) once commented on how not being drafted, or getting some sort of exemption from service, helped the dance careers of those who were in films throughout the prime swing years which coincided pretty closely with WW II. A found more than a few jitterbugs who did not return to dancing on film after serving.

DanceMentor likes this.
  9. Steve Pastor

The entire film "Mad Youth" is available on YouTube at this writing, but Sonny Watson has posted the dance scenes here

The "Jitter Bugs" are listed in the credits !

That one move got Ray Hirsch and Patti Lacey into newspapers across the country.
    Dean Collins and Jewel McGowan had yet to appear on film when this was released in May 1940.

10. tangotime

Great clip !!...

11. Steve Pastor

This soundie includes some lindy hop which is probably more like what a typical dancer would do back in the day, including some pretty basic stuff. And there's at least break dance move.

There's a higher res version in Soundies, Volume 1, also on YouTube.

DanceMentor likes this.
  12. Steve Pastor

A Soundie with a 1943 copyright. Note the piano dive!

13. Steve Pastor

One more for today.
    I think I'd ask the gal who is sitting down and has the pearl necklace to dance.

Note how the dancers are doing rock steps. I still think that Arthur Murray, or any other studio, didn't so much invent East Coast Swing as pick from all the steps that were available. Now, dancing triple in third position in Western Swing / West Coast Swing...

14. Steve Pastor

Many of you might be familiar with this Soundie.
    I'm posting because I see that it was banned in Kansas.
    Who knew?

15. Steve Pastor

Arthur Walsh, jitterbug king, won 108 jitterbug contests, according to an article that came out when he was working on a scene in the fifth Thin Man movie, The Thin Man Goes Home. He was also in Groovie Movie.

16. Steve Pastor

Someone has uploaded a bunch British Pathé films.

Jive in 1943. Seems to me the dance has changed a bit over the years?

17. Steve Pastor

You have to wait until around the 9:29 mark to see it, but there you will see 4 seconds of Lindy Hop from 1931.
    I was a bit surprised to see how many horses were still around at that time in Manhattan.

18. Steve Pastor

Ya think they modeled some of the dancers after well known jitterbugs of the day? I do!

tangotime likes this.
  19. tangotime

Sure do !..