Dancers Anonymous > Life is Hard Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by TinyDancer109, Dec 6, 2010.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

My FIL passed away yesterday at 77 after a months-long bout with brain cancer. It was unexpected (to me) that it would happen this week, as he had been very slowly deteriorating in a sort of indefinite state with no clear end in sight. The last time I saw him was at Thanksgiving when it was starting - we had about 12 conversations that day to re-establish what day was today, tomorrow, etc - very similar to what one would expect from an Alzheimer's patient, and disconcerting to witness in someone as sharp and intelligent as he was. Since then he basically became a shell of his former self and gradually lost the ability to perform most, if not all, of the ADL's, and was being cared for at home by MIL, BIL, and DH's cousin. DH was travelling up to their house (couple hours drive) most weekends to help out. The whole thing was low-grade stressful for everyone involved, so although there is much sadness, I hate to say there is also a sense of relief for the caregivers. DH is leaving after work today to head to their house for a couple days. Not sure when the funeral will be, since this weekend is Easter which is a busy time for the church.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

My condolences...brain cancer can be tricky...one large seizure can have huge impact...and you are right that it is unlikely that serves would be before monday...at least in the more formally structured denominations...peace to you as your family goes through this...hug

IndyLady likes this.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My condolences to you and your family, IndyLady.

IndyLady likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Ugh that's just awful. So sorry for your loss.

IndyLady likes this.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

IndyLady likes this.
  6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. Visitation is tomorrow and funeral is Friday (another surprise to me that they ended up scheduling it so soon). I just realized I haven't seen any of his family since Thanksgiving - I've been staying home with our son on weekends (he would have been like a bull in a china shop up there, the last thing they needed), so we will see how it goes.

MaggieMoves likes this.