Likes and Dislikes -- What Makes West Coast Swing?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by pygmalion, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yes! I think it can be very misleading to look at what are really performances. Reminds me of our Argentine Tango discussions. I kept wondering how long I could avoid the comparison.

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Very true. And even ballroom, for that matter. What you see on the competition floor or in a performance is not the same as the social floor.

Dance the dance you want to dance. As long as you're not hurting anyone, it's all good.

Mr 4 styles and Steven123 like this.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Amen and hallelujah, tt. You've been around DF forever, so I'm sure you remember some of the ... energetic conversations I used to have with DFers who were against allowing grinding/club style dirty dancing here.

To me, dance is dance. Find your style(s.) Dance.

To me, that's different than labeling. To me, it looks like a new dance form is emerging. Why not celebrate that?

Mr 4 styles, Steven123 and twnkltoz like this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lomger than i could i just didnt post it

5. pygmalion

Okay. So here's another Benji Schwimmer video that incorporates a lot of non-swing stuff but still looks like WCS, to me. I think it's the WCS basics that he inserts every so often.

6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that very much!

7. pygmalion

No doubt about it. He's a talented man. :)

8. pygmalion

Love this one, as well. Both of these dancers do the basics so,so well,and, when you least expect it, throw in some styling or extras (incredibly difficult stuff) matter-of-factly. It's really gorgeous.

Siggav and twnkltoz like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

his time on sytycd served him well

10. pygmalion

I think there's a difference in that the arguments, around performance tango, are about HOW to execute tango patterns and to what music. (ETA: Or which patterns are appropriate to use where.) In WCS, the discussion is about WHETHER to execute WCS swing patterns and if so, how many. To me, these are two different things.

Either way, as I said earlier, dance is dance. There is no rule out there that says there's a finite number of dances and they've all already been invented. It's okay if WCS evolves into something else. But if it doesn't look like a duck, waddle like a duck, quack like a duck, etc, I have to start to wonder if it's a duck. Just sayin.

11. pygmalion

Benji? Yeah. there's a really cute youtube video of him on Regis and Kelly, right after he won. He does a swing dance routine and then, at the end, twirls Kelly around and dips her a few times.

Very young. Very talented.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Mixed feelings about this one. The dancing is great, of course. I just think that the style of dancing is pretty much the same for both songs, even though the two songs are very, very different. Something a little more down home bluesy would've felt better to me, with the second song. I don't think either of them was feeling the second song. *sigh*

13. Mr 4 styles

OMG jessica cox and tessa cunningham vids

be still my beating......heart!!

pygmalion likes this.
  14. pygmalion

Love the styling on this girl. She really knows how to move. Beee you tee ful body rolls.

15. Mr 4 styles

great vid pyg i havent seen her dance before!!

agree great body rhythm

16. pygmalion

Here's an example of what Mr4S was talking about over in ballroom yesterday. Both beautiful dancers. Great moves. But they look out of sync, as if they're dancing AROUND each other instead of WITH each other. Can't put my finger on why I feel this way.

17. Mr 4 styles

i see the problem pyg and this time its the leaders fault!!

he shorts his settling action in the anchors and pulls her out of hers a little early shes feeling the groove and letting her hips sway but he chops this with preleads

he is clearly NOT a student of MJ music!!

watch again and see if you agree!

18. pygmalion

Yup. That's it. Just as she's settling in and doing her girly thing, he's pulling her out into something else.

Jack and Jills: The great equalizer.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

some men...always finishing too early:eek:

HEE HEE i bad

pygmalion likes this.
  20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Sorry guys, just cruisin' and...

If you are talking about our current Argentine Tango, "there are no patterns."

People have preferences about what kind of music to dance AT to: traditional or not, basically. And that same discussion occurs with WCS. "It doesn't swing."

Another discussion point is about how relevant performances are to social dancing. I think the same thing applies to WCS. Some people don't distinguish between stage tango / fantasia and what you might do at a milonga. Where I dance WCS looks like WCS. I've peaked into a few swing "events" and thought, what the heck? Let alone what people do in competitions or exhibitions.

WCS has very few rules, really, but more than AT. The is a Swing Dance Council that attempted? to define the "essence" of West Coast Swing and provide a basis for judging in competition. Patterns are taught to get people dancing in both cases. (yeah, there are patterns in AT, but we pretend there aren't just like we pretend an "open embrace" is an "embrace")

Mr 4 styles likes this.