Swing Discussion Boards > Videos > Likes and Dislikes -- What Makes West Coast Swing?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by pygmalion, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I know I said I would do that a while ago, but didn't due to.. you know... other things I have to do.

You go!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I will. And yeah. It can be time consuming. *sigh* I'll try to find the relevant stuff, though, and come up with a descriptive title and a question or two to get/keep the conversation going. This is why it's time consuming.

3. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Yes, it's very fashionable to completely ignore the fact that WCS is a slot dance. It seems that every other workshop instructor is showing people how to drift all over the place. That would be fine and good but when women go out of the slot excessively it becomes very difficult to lead them. I'm not convinced most of these women can stay in a clean slot, but one thing for sure -- they have no clue how to go out of the slot without getting on my nerves!

I am reasonably sure the cool guys are botching the leads just as bad as the ladies are messing up the follows because most of the moves being taught are not even close to being lead/follow. I suspect ladies are learning to go out of the slot for self protection more than anything else.

Very, very bad trend. Maybe it's OK for showcase but not for social dancing. If WCS dancers are so bored with slots why don't they start dancing Lindy or ECS where it does work?

Shame on the instructors that are teaching this stuff just so that they can be trendy!

Last edited: May 8, 2015